Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

The perfect read for a snowy day in January.

the-dirty-life-on-farming-food-.jpg

Interestingly, the Kimball farm is located in Essex, New York on Lake Champlain. A tiny town whose simple beauty brought tears to my eyes upon first encountering it after ferrying across Lake Champlain, Vermont to New York.

I got this for Christmas and it's waiting patiently on my nightstand.

I am reading this right now.....

memory+palace.jpg

It's fantastic.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Franzen's Freedom.

Couldn't put it down. Loved it. I've been out of the Wilco loop for a while, so the Jeff references were an unanticipated pleasure, which brought me back here!

A friend also couldn't put it down. It's on my list.

i-want-to-take-you-higher-the-life-and-times-of-sly-the-family-stone-8836664.jpeg

Just started this one yesterday.

Just finished Franzen's Freedom.

Couldn't put it down. Loved it. I've been out of the Wilco loop for a while, so the Jeff references were an unanticipated pleasure, which brought me back here!

I finished Freedom about a week ago, and I'm still amazed at how much I enjoyed the book although many of the characters were rather unlikeable to varying degrees.

Stephen King's On Writing.

Digging it.

I read that one a long time ago and it kind of stuck with me. Basically what I got out of it is to:

• Write your story
  • Go through and delete all your adjectives
  • Go through again and delete the ones you missed the first time through
  • Repeat about 30 times.

His description of the constant re-reading and re-editing of your own work made me realize there is a down side to just about every job no matter how great it sounds.

I read that one a long time ago and it kind of stuck with me. Basically what I got out of it is to:

• Write your story
  • Go through and delete all your adjectives
  • Go through again and delete the ones you missed the first time through
  • Repeat about 30 times.

His description of the constant re-reading and re-editing of your own work made me realize there is a down side to just about every job no matter how great it sounds.

Delete the adverbs.

For some reason I really enjoyed King's telling of his accident of getting hit by a van.

I've been neglecting this thread, because I always get overwhelmed by all the great books that I'm just not getting to!

Recently read:

60260671.JPG

Not quite as good as London: The Novel. :lol

38228551.JPG

Frustrating, disturbing, and really really good. I'd read his previous book, and I recently won an on-line auction to have my name used for a character in his next one. :whoo

Now reading:

11939442.jpg

How's the biography, gogo?

I'm currently reading this:

41KzohV099L._SS500_.jpg

It's relatively old - from 1990 - and I can't believe I haven't read it before now. Some of my favorite anecdotes are about the history of words. "Pupil" from the Latin pupilla, which means "a little doll" (because of the reflection people saw when looking into another person's eyes).

The Beecher thing? It's good so far, although I'm still only up to his young adulthood. Everything up to that point fits very neatly, from a sort of religious/psychological/pop-Freudian perspective, into what kind of a person we know he's growing up to be, so it all seems a little shoe-horned in for now. It's well-written though, and I've become more of a fan of American history of late, so I'm enjoying the Great Awakening stuff, some history of higher education in America, etc.

That one you're reading looks great! I'm definitely adding that to my list, but see?? That's why I can't come into this thread! :P

In the last couple weeks, I read these:

8565083.jpg

and

the-immortal-life-of-henrietta-lacks-250px.jpg

I am now reading Franzen's Freedom - I am about 70 pages in and it hasn't grabbed me yet....I am hoping it will, soon.

I have been re-reading this:

frankenstein-shelley.jpg

(one of my all time favorites....and I am hoping it will help to re-charge my batteries in order to write a journal article I have had in my head for a long time)

And up next:

swamplandia.jpg