Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

I bought this second hand a few months back with the half-hearted intent of starting it sometime. I'm now just over 200 pages in and I'm loving it:

murakami.jpg

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading Rick Moody's novel Garden State and I had a funny realization last night.  I have only seen the tail end of the Zach Braff movie called Garden State but I thought they were related.  They are both about depressed, detached kids in suburban New Jersey who listen to music, take drugs, and try to figure out their lives.  As I read the first half of the novel, I kept waiting for it to connect to the part of the movie that I had seen.  I finally looked it up and realized that they have no connection ...

07book-2-articleInline.jpg

a-game-of-thrones-book-cover.jpg

"I Am Ozzy" by O Osbourne.

I'm sure it comes as no surprise but Ozzy was a maniac. Many many laugh out loud moments with an underlying vein of sadness.

122493.jpg

Reading this again before tracking down the Jay Farrar/Ben Gibbard soundtrack to the Kerouac doco One Fast Move Or I'm Gone.

51ex0sEM3aL._SY380_.jpg

Cheese Chronicles: The True Story of a Rock 'n Roll Band You Never Heard Of

Our local library periodically has sales to remove older books or books of which it has multiple copies. Shortly before last Christmas they held one, and I was amazed to read that books were $1 per brown-paper-sackful! So I suggested to my family that I'd love a bunch of books as a Christmas gift. I wound up with two big boxes of books, most in excellent shape and many in "like new" condition! They run the gamut in subject matter (mostly fiction) and so far the selections my family made have all been terrific reads. Yesterday I finished Imagining Robert by Jay Neugeboren, an absorbing and moving account of his life with his schizophrenic brother. After I'd put this book away, I went to my boxes to decide what I wanted to read next. I pulled out a couple and began looking them over. One was actor Kirk Douglas's 2007 biography, Let's Face It. I knew he'd have some great stories to tell!

When I opened the book, meaning to check its publication date, I noticed what at first seemed to be a smudge, or something showing through from the front cover...I flipped back to look at the cover but it was unblemished, then I turned back to the "smudge" and realized it wasn't the inside of the paperback cover I was looking at, but the back of the first endpage. I flipped that page back to its front side, where I discovered...

ZUerJANl.jpg

....I have an autographed copy! How cool is that?!! It's being a great read, too. :)

^That's very cool. I've had a similar experience a few times when buying used records in garage sales (found a few unexpected autographs.)

Well it's official. I've become fully addicted to Kurt Vonnegut. After reading Slaughterhouse-Five about a year a go (and really enjoying it) I moved on to some other things, forgetting how great it was. Then, about a week ago I picked up a copy of Player Piano and was absolutely blown away. Before I had even finished it, I placed an order on Amazon for Cat's Cradle and The Sirens of Titan. As of today I have torn through all 3 of them, finishing each within 24 hours. I bought Galapagos awhile back but I think I'm going to give myself a little break on Vonnegut for now. I should be receiving Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" in the mail today or today and I've heard good things. Has anyone here read it before?

Vonnegut has been my favorite for 20+ years. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is my favorite, but they all have charm. When you're finished with the novels there are some great short stories, autobio stuff and decent audio finds online.

You ever finish Infinite Jest?

Nah, that fat boy is sitting on my shelf.

I'm reading "Clockers" now. What a picture of urban decay and depravity that book portrays....

Yeah. Richard Price kicks all kinds of ass. I guess he just stopped writing?

Dont know, this is the first novel of his I've read. So far, its really great.

I saw Temple Grandin speak last night at UC Riverside...she was brilliant, passionate, and frequently very, very funny! What an amazing woman. Afterwards she posed for photos and gave out autographs, and I was able to get her autograph on my copy of her wonderful "Animals Make Us Human". Highly recommended for anyone who loves and/or works with animals...her keen insights are fascinating, and often counterintuitive to what we think we "know". great reading.

bXZuMOIl.jpg

the-interestings-by-meg-wolitzer.jpg

3127jpeiWnL._.jpg

Had this for years but just started reading it.  It's good ...

Oh man, I loved that book! All of Fraziers books are good and well worth the effort.

Now reading "Lush Life" by Richard Price

• 3 weeks later...

I'm awful about making my updates in this thread, but I want you all to know, I do enjoy your posts!

For now, I'm on my third brick-sized book in a row:

9780393010435.jpg  9781410440471.jpg  9781936365180.jpg