Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

A6C26F53-585E-4B75-9D71-15D5EBC6DE80-141

About nine years ago I read this slave narrative twice (Once for myself and again for a college history project in which we had to "interview" an American historical figure.). In about six weeks a well overdue movie that's getting great reviews will be released, telling this incredible story of a not-too-well-known American.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/06/12-years-a-slave-toronto_n_3883998.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

I'm pretty sure I know what intense scene that review refers to. It left me shaking after reading it, and I had to brace myself to read that part again during the second go-through. Researching Solomon Northup was no easy task. I had to use criticisms and critiques of the slave narratives as a genre as sources because I could only find one other source other than his own slave narrative, and that bit of info was about how his original kidnappers were found and arrested, but never stood trial because there were no witnesses to testify, including Northup. Historicaly there's no record of Northup's life beyond his 12 years in bondage. It led me to wonder if he was purposely kept ignorant of his kidnappers trial? Was he murdered? Or was he dealt the cruelest hand of all by being recaptured and sold illegally again?:omg The book doesn't cover his ultimate fate, and I doubt the movie does, except maybe in an epilogue. We'll see. Hopefully this film will draw more research attention to this man's story, which is riveting!

The book's not too thick, and I'm sure there's a new edition coming out soon ) or is already out); so if you want to read the story just before this film hits the screen next month, then find a copy. The scenes from the Louisiana plantation he eventually ends up on are pretty moving and intense. They certainly left an impression on me!

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I read it first about 15 years ago. On this re-reading I'm finding that I had remembered almost nothing about the book. And it's so beautiful!

I need to re-read this. Haven't since High School & I don't remember much.

That "Rant" book sounds really intriguing! :yes I always get the best recommendations from this thread.

51P0OM0R88L._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

Just finished this one.  Barry Fey was pretty much the Zelig of rock and roll.  This validated all the bad things I have ever heard about Bill Graham.  I know Bill was a rival but Fey didn't have bad things to say about other promoters.  Certainly a big ego on Barry but it was an enjoyable read.

Haven't been reading much this year, which makes me sad.

Most recently:

9780316228534_p0_v1_s600.JPG

Tragic.

9780316206280_p0_v1_s600.JPG

An interesting concept, short stories based (some more loosely than others) on historical source material: letters, trial transcripts, newspapers, etc.

5841747.jpg

A bit pretentious so far.  I may warm up to it...

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this:

OB-IQ249_Hoover_DV_20100526165635.jpg

Pretty amazing what had to happen to get this thing built.  And some blatant exploitation of workers.  But, hey, it was the depression.

Still working on this:

hochschild.jpg

Interesting contrasts of people opposed to, and in favor of, going to war (WW I, that is).  It's pretty good, but I got distracted by picking up this:

516GyHY9p6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

My daughter seems to have these movies on perpetual 'play', but I wanted to find out how Tolkien writes about the scenes that I see in the movies and how Frodo is slowly being eaten by the ring, etc, etc.

I don't read much during the summer months. Too many outside activities to do while the sun is still up.  Now that day light hours are dwindling again, I may start making some progress.

Recently finished

21326.jpg  167010.jpg  21329.jpg

and

954674.jpg

Little Brother is San Francisco's "One City One Book" pick for this fall.  Cory Doctorow is coming out for a series of events, he'll be speaking at my nephew's high school in a couple of weeks.  My nephew and I were laughing the other day, it's supposed to be in the voice of a San Francisco high school student, but the author is so clearly English.  He gets a lot of SF details very right, but some of the phrasing is just so very wrong.  It's a fascinating book though, sort of upper-level YA, and definitely upper-level paranoia-inducing.

Now:

15803031.jpg

to be followed by the next three volumes of Fables.

• 2 weeks later...

Faulkner can be such a struggle, but once you're inside the story, it's captivating and so rewarding. Let me know when you finish that...I have a great follow-up book for you! Not Faulkner, but Faulkneresque.

Working on this:

william-faulkner-the-sound-and-the-fury.

All this time and I've never read any Faulkner.  It's a bit of a struggle so far, but people keep telling me about how beautiful they found the book, which is helping me stick with it. Still waiting for things to make a bit more sense.

I struggled with that book a bit at first and was starting to get frustrated but then figured it out and it is really amazing.  The chronological shifts threw me off completely at first but once you dial in the characters and which Jason you are reading about it's not hard at all.  Took me awhile to realize there are 2 Jason's.  Love the hell out of this book.  You just have to get in a certain mindset with the stream of consciousness stuff and just absorb it and not try to study it like a textbook.  Not at all like Pynchon's "Gravity's rainbow" which made me feel completely stupid and inept.

But having said that, I have not really tackled other Faulkner stuff for some reason.  It's on the list though.

Oh, and Kidsmoke, I am curious about the Faulkneresque book you mentioned...

Working on this:

william-faulkner-the-sound-and-the-fury.

All this time and I've never read any Faulkner.  It's a bit of a struggle so far, but people keep telling me about how beautiful they found the book, which is helping me stick with it. Still waiting for things to make a bit more sense.

One of the few books I could not finish. The other one (that I can think of): Naked Lunch.

Took me awhile to realize there are 2 Jason's.

Thank you!  Didn't realize -- that helps things a bit.  I also got thrown by how Benjy refers to Quentin alternately as he and she in the first chapter.  It doesn't help that I'm usually reading at the very end of the day and can barely get in 10 minutes before my eyes are closing.  Just gotta get through those last four episodes of Breaking Bad and then I can devote my evenings to reading again!

One of the few books I could not finish. The other one (that I can think of): Naked Lunch.

I finished The Sound and the Fury, though  it was a struggle. I ditched Naked Lunch after about 4 pages.

Started in again on a Flannery O'Connor anthology. Read half of You Can't Be Any Poorer Than Dead last night before falling asleep. I hope it end well....

OK, book people!  As an avid non-reader, I would like to get some recommendations for a book or two to read on an upcoming beach vacation with my wife who will be glued to her kindle.  I haven't read a book in years.  I'd like to get something that's along the lines of the earlier Michael Crichton books - kind of science fiction / techie stuff, but an easy read.  Also something funny / quirky a la Hitchiker's Guide but maybe a little more current.  Not much to go on there. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I generally have no business in a book thread. 

OK, book people!  As an avid non-reader, I would like to get some recommendations for a book or two to read on an upcoming beach vacation with my wife who will be glued to her kindle.  I haven't read a book in years.  I'd like to get something that's along the lines of the earlier Michael Crichton books - kind of science fiction / techie stuff, but an easy read.  Also something funny / quirky a la Hitchiker's Guide but maybe a little more current.  Not much to go on there. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I generally have no business in a book thread. 

Shame on you.  Oh, and "Enders game" or something by Terry Pratchett.

Thank you!  Didn't realize -- that helps things a bit.  I also got thrown by how Benjy refers to Quentin alternately as he and she in the first chapter.  It doesn't help that I'm usually reading at the very end of the day and can barely get in 10 minutes before my eyes are closing.  Just gotta get through those last four episodes of Breaking Bad and then I can devote my evenings to reading again!

Yeah, you can't focus on Faulkner with Breaking Bad hanging over your head!

For quirky and entertaining, can I suggest something by Tm Robbins? Perhaps "Skinny Legs and All" or "Fierce Invalids". Also, DFW's "Broom to the System" fits the bill, IMO.