Guest Speed Racer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51itBCSXv6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This, too, is a pretty great book ...

I actually just got back from visiting the Nuclear museum in New Mexico. As you would imagine, there is a section on Hiroshima/Nagasaki as well as replicas of Fat Man and Little Boy. Pretty amazing seeing how small they really are to be able to cause that much damage. Seems like the museum was trying to be balanced in showing the arguments for and against dropping the bombs. Anyways, I'm interested in checking this out.

I actually just got back from visiting the Nuclear museum in New Mexico. As you would imagine, there is a section on Hiroshima/Nagasaki as well as replicas of Fat Man and Little Boy. Pretty amazing seeing how small they really are to be able to cause that much damage. Seems like the museum was trying to be balanced in showing the arguments for and against dropping the bombs. Anyways, I'm interested in checking this out.

The criticism of the book is that it is not balanced. I didn't think it needed to be though; to me it was non-political. It is really good reporting on what it was like for a small group of people living in Hiroshima at the time. Most editions have an additional section from the mid-1980s where Hersey went back and followed up on the people that were in the original piece.

Reading this currently:

2f6567cd005a607a174f1eb72c371af7.jpg

And not enjoying it as much as I want to. I feel like while heartfelt, a good portion of it is just seeing how much random and obscure music he can reference.

I don't know. I'm already halfway done with it and really just want to get through it. Not horribly written or anything, I guess I'm just really not connecting with the tragicness of it on an emotional level.

Reading has been scarce these days....but I am slowing making my way through a few:

31re4Qe6%2B2L.jpg

wench-_book_cover.28123409_std.jpg

and when I have full capacity of my normally sleep deprived brain (which isn't often):

the_second_sex.jpg

Reading this currently:

2f6567cd005a607a174f1eb72c371af7.jpg

And not enjoying it as much as I want to. I feel like while heartfelt, a good portion of it is just seeing how much random and obscure music he can reference.

I don't know. I'm already halfway done with it and really just want to get through it. Not horribly written or anything, I guess I'm just really not connecting with the tragicness of it on an emotional level.

I tried reading his follow-up to that one, "Talking to Girls about Duran Duran." The title alone made me giddy, but the book seem uninspired. Didn't come close to finishing it.

My "To Read" list has exploded lately. I recently saw the Replacements documentary, which made me want to reread this:

replacements.jpg

Meanwhile, I just finished this:

20100316we-the-immortal-life-of-henrietta-lacks-by-rebecca-skloot.jpg

And am in the middle of this:

The-Memory-Palace.jpg

Both of those were from the library. I also got "At Home" from the library, but had to take it back before I was finished.

Then today I bought this:

bossy_pants_tina_fey.jpg

and this:

started-early-took-my-dog.jpg

9780826417442-crop-325x325.jpg

Recently:

Paul Murry's Skippy Dies

Rick Bragg's All over but the shoutin'

Jennifer Eagan's A Visit from the Goon Squad

Now:

the_pale_king.large.jpg

I didn't allow myself to be exposed to any of it's content until now and I'm really enjoying it.

It's nice to hear that voice again.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished: Chuck Klosterman IV

41Et7xSMpJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Really enjoyed it. He sensibilities and life experiences seem to coincide with my own so much it is scary. Great AGiB-era Wilco story, too.

Just picked up: The Pale King - DFW

41Kp%2BZwtnWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can't wait to get started. (really sad there will be no more...)

6101F0Nby%2BL._AA300_.jpg

I've never been a big Civil War buff but a few weeks ago my family and I were near Gettysburg and we swung through for a visit. Man, it was a pretty intense visit. I'm not ready to be a reenactor or anything but I feel like I definitely need to know and read more about it.

• 2 weeks later...

6101F0Nby%2BL._AA300_.jpg

I've never been a big Civil War buff but a few weeks ago my family and I were near Gettysburg and we swung through for a visit. Man, it was a pretty intense visit. I'm not ready to be a reenactor or anything but I feel like I definitely need to know and read more about it.

Love this book. One of my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

I like it. I had read some of the stories about 20 years ago, then lost the book, but picked up another copy recently. He's definitely a talented writer.

Are you a fan?

Yes.

I have studied his life for years. I have been to his hometown and grave site.

Yes.

I have studied his life for years. I have been to his hometown and grave site.

It's funny - I got home last night and one of my neighbors had dropped off a whole pile of music magazines. There was a copy of MOJO that Tom Waits had edited. In it Waits lists his favorite books, and the first one on the list was Pancake's.

It's funny - I got home last night and one of my neighbors had dropped off a whole pile of music magazines. There was a copy of MOJO that Tom Waits had edited. In it Waits lists his favorite books, and the first one on the list was Pancake's.

You should get this book and read it:

A Room Forever: The Life, Work, Letters Of Breece D'J Pancake [Paperback]

Thomas E. Douglass

Never heard of Pancake, before. He seems interesting, I will check my neighborhood book stores, today.

It's been music bio's over the last few weeks.

00331994.gifcantwant.gifmiles-autobiography.jpg