Clementin

Dreadnought

Bloodshot

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woods.jpg

Reading this I've been alternating between real frustration at the writing and enthralling suspense...I suppose the final verdict will depend on the resolution.

UPDATE:

Finished it and wow was it bad. Avoid.

I have gotten on a Lee Child kick.

Really enjoy the Reacher novels.

Now reading:

TheHardWayCover.png

Just got through with this one...it was magnificent

bkr_ptolemygrey.png

I have gotten on a Lee Child kick.

Really enjoy the Reacher novels.

I read all of those books a while back. Oddly enough, I did not read the first one until last. They make more sense if you read them in order.

I've been reading some different sort of books from what I usually read:

Joe R. Lansdale:

Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal

Joe Lansdale is from my neck of the woods. East Texas has a way of getting into your head, into your soul, into you blood...lots of folks never leave there.

Joe Lansdale is from my neck of the woods. East Texas has a way of getting into your head, into your soul, into you blood...lots of folks never leave there.

I think he may be insane.

I think he may be insane.

LIke I saidl East Texas...it gets in your blood. LOL

He's probably not insane. He is a professor and author in residence at Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches.

LIke I saidl East Texas...it gets in your blood. LOL

He's probably not insane. He is a professor and author in residence at Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches.

I just meant he comes up with some kooky stuff. Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal is not for the easily offended - let's put it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried reading Blood Meridian a few times and gave up - need to try again. On two of the occasions, I brought the book on vacation with me and realized its not much of a vacation read.

I tried reading Blood Meridian a few times and gave up - need to try again. On two of the occasions, I brought the book on vacation with me and realized its not much of a vacation read.

A brilliant book.

A horrible choice to take on a vacation!

God it's bleak.

Just finished Infinite Jest again yesterday.

I lost track of where I was ( easy enough considering the number of pages at the back of the book dedicated to footnotes/errata).

The last line literally snuck up on me. Now I'm left feeling a little lost.

Something by Martin Amis will probably be next....

A brilliant book.

A horrible choice to take on a vacation!

God it's bleak.

Yeah one would think I would have learned that after the first vacation attempt, but the 2nd attempt was during a trip to the Mesa Verde area and I figured the scenery would be a good fit with the book, but it kinda had the opposite affect.

I'd read All The Pretty Horses recently and thoroughly enjoyed that. Brilliant book. Not really sure why I went back to Cormac as I read The Road and was really disappointed in it. I seem to be by myself on that one though.

I'd read All The Pretty Horses recently and thoroughly enjoyed that. Brilliant book. Not really sure why I went back to Cormac as I read The Road and was really disappointed in it. I seem to be by myself on that one though.

McCarthy is certainly sometimes a difficult read. He is one of the greats.

The Road...damn. That book really moved me.

"There is no God and we are his prophets"

“Where men cant live gods fare no better. You’ll see. It’s better to be alone. So I hope that’s not true what you said because to be on the road with the last god would be a terrible thing. ... Things will be better when everybody’s gone.”

LOL...understatement of the year.

I just meant he comes up with some kooky stuff. Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal is not for the easily offended - let's put it that way.

Yeah...East Texas has a way of making us a bit...off

"Northern Mexico"

Not ever remotely close.

East Texas is the western frontier of the old south. It was largely settled by outlaws, renegades and the like fleeing the jurisdiction of the United States in the Early 1830's. Therefore there is more than a bit of an ant-authoritarian streak there.

I'm less than 100 pages away from finishing Stephen King's Dark Tower series. It's been an exciting and emotional read, and ~4000 pages later I don't want it to end.

If you're not familiar with the series (7 books), it's probably best described as a cross between The Lord of The Rings and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. And while it isn't horror, it does incorporate characters and places from King's other books (though I've never read any of his other works).

I'm less than 100 pages away from finishing Stephen King's Dark Tower series. It's been an exciting and emotional read, and ~4000 pages later I don't want it to end.

If you're not familiar with the series (7 books), it's probably best described as a cross between The Lord of The Rings and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. And while it isn't horror, it does incorporate characters and places from King's other books (though I've never read any of his other works).

I loved those books but was very disappointed with the last one. The ending was not bad but the over all book was kind of a let down.

I loved those books but was very disappointed with the last one. The ending was not bad but the over all book was kind of a let down.

Book VII is definitely far from my favorite. I kept thinking, "C'mon, get there already!" I still have a few pages remaining - The Coda. But Stephen King said that we shouldn't read the Coda...wtf?!

But at least there's more to look forward to: The Wind Through the Keyhole ("call this one DT-4.5") to be released sometime in 2012

Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

Steve King

More than you wanted to know:

Stephen King works related to The Dark Tower series

The Dark Tower is being developed for a movie and/or some sort of mini-series.

More than you wanted to know:

Stephen King works related to The Dark Tower series

The Dark Tower is being developed for a movie and/or some sort of mini-series.

I've been following the saga of the movie and/or mini-series, and I really hope it all comes to fruition.

Some of the references to King's other works were transparent enough in The Dark Tower - especially since they were pointed out by the characters and author - but I didn't realize just how many were related. Dang. Looks like I've got a few more books on my summer/fall reading list.

I've been following the saga of the movie and/or mini-series, and I really hope it all comes to fruition.

Some of the references to King's other works were transparent enough in The Dark Tower - especially since they were pointed out by the characters and author - but I didn't realize just how many were related. Dang. Looks like I've got a few more books on my summer/fall reading list.

I'm not much of a King fan, but I did rather like The Dark Tower, The Stand, The Talisman, and Black House.

Salem's Lot is on the list of movies I can not watch because it scares the heck out of me.