Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I haven't...is it old enough that the library might have it? My book-buying budget is kaput.

It came out in 2005, before City of Thieves so I would bet your library has it.

I haven't read it but it has pretty great reviews.

(And in looking into this I learned that Benioff is married to Amanda Peet.)

No kidding! I didn't know he was married to her. Innaresting. I'm putting the short stories onto my reading list, along with 25th Hour.

Thank you for the David Benioff dicussion above. I had not heard of him before this but after a little research this morning, I think I've just found my next couple of books to read.

:)

Absolutely. Will let you know. I went down to my local library this afternoon and found 'The 25th Hour' and 'City of Thieves'. I'm looking forward to them both.

Just stumbled across this thread for the first time in a long time. Adding some stuff to my to-read lists. Here's what I've read lately:

41b6niVprzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Heard about this on NPR. Really interesting stuff. Loved it.

9780151014149.jpg

Bought this for my Kindle after I returned from my first trip to Portland. Nice novel based on the true story of a father and daughter who lived in Forest Park for 4 or 5 years undetected.

51qZb5TFUqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About halfway through this... stark and lovely.

Don't recall a frog from reading Garp, but that was about 33 years ago. I do recall "Garp bit Bonkers." (or was it "Bonkie"?) I was shocked at my mom for reading it.

It's a reference to the undertow of the ocean (or, as it is mispronounced in the book, the "undertoad").

Hotel New Hampshire took me a while to get through as I stalled a few times but it was worth it in the end. It felt like it started to pick up the pace in the last third or so.

I also recommend this:

587402.jpg

Beautiful book.

Just stumbled across this thread for the first time in a long time. Adding some stuff to my to-read lists. Here's what I've read lately:

41b6niVprzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Heard about this on NPR. Really interesting stuff. Loved it.

9780151014149.jpg

Bought this for my Kindle after I returned from my first trip to Portland. Nice novel based on the true story of a father and daughter who lived in Forest Park for 4 or 5 years undetected.

51qZb5TFUqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About halfway through this... stark and lovely.

These all look pretty intriguing!

I might have to give this a try. I loved Owen Meaney but was luke warm on Hotel NH.

Hotel New Hampshire took me a while to get through as I stalled a few times but it was worth it in the end. It felt like it started to pick up the pace in the last third or so.

I also recommend this:

587402.jpg

Beautiful book.

I didn't like Hotel New Hampshire as much as some of his others. Still liked it a lot. And I agree with Fritz, A Widow for One Year was very good.

51U%2BqKjj2LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I downloaded the free version to my Kindle, for my son to use as a book report. When he changed his mind about what book he wanted to do, I started to read it myself. Just for the hell of it.

Enjoying this a lot more than I thought that I would.

51U%2BqKjj2LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I downloaded the free version to my Kindle, for my son to use as a book report. When he changed his mind about what book he wanted to do, I started to read it myself. Just for the hell of it.

Enjoying this a lot more than I thought that I would.

I LOVE Dickens. Some friends and fellow avid readers cringe when I say that, but he was an amazing storyteller.

I LOVE Dickens. Some friends and fellow avid readers cringe when I say that, but he was an amazing storyteller.

I think he's one of those authors that people read because they feel that they "have to," and then they wind up enjoying the hell out of those books.

I guess there's a reason that some things become Classics.

Oh man - I can't tell you how many times I've re-read the story "Hills Like White Elephants." It kills me.

Hills like white Elephants is totally beautiful and flows with a slow poetic rhythm. One of the better/best Hemingway short stories for certain.