Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I haven't...is it old enough that the library might have it? My book-buying budget is kaput.

It came out in 2005, before City of Thieves so I would bet your library has it.

I haven't read it but it has pretty great reviews.

(And in looking into this I learned that Benioff is married to Amanda Peet.)

No kidding! I didn't know he was married to her. Innaresting. I'm putting the short stories onto my reading list, along with 25th Hour.

Thank you for the David Benioff dicussion above. I had not heard of him before this but after a little research this morning, I think I've just found my next couple of books to read.

:)

Just stumbled across this thread for the first time in a long time. Adding some stuff to my to-read lists. Here's what I've read lately:

41b6niVprzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Heard about this on NPR. Really interesting stuff. Loved it.

9780151014149.jpg

Bought this for my Kindle after I returned from my first trip to Portland. Nice novel based on the true story of a father and daughter who lived in Forest Park for 4 or 5 years undetected.

51qZb5TFUqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About halfway through this... stark and lovely.

Don't recall a frog from reading Garp, but that was about 33 years ago. I do recall "Garp bit Bonkers." (or was it "Bonkie"?) I was shocked at my mom for reading it.

It's a reference to the undertow of the ocean (or, as it is mispronounced in the book, the "undertoad").

Hotel New Hampshire took me a while to get through as I stalled a few times but it was worth it in the end. It felt like it started to pick up the pace in the last third or so.

I also recommend this:

587402.jpg

Beautiful book.

Just stumbled across this thread for the first time in a long time. Adding some stuff to my to-read lists. Here's what I've read lately:

41b6niVprzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Heard about this on NPR. Really interesting stuff. Loved it.

9780151014149.jpg

Bought this for my Kindle after I returned from my first trip to Portland. Nice novel based on the true story of a father and daughter who lived in Forest Park for 4 or 5 years undetected.

51qZb5TFUqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About halfway through this... stark and lovely.

These all look pretty intriguing!

I might have to give this a try. I loved Owen Meaney but was luke warm on Hotel NH.

Hotel New Hampshire took me a while to get through as I stalled a few times but it was worth it in the end. It felt like it started to pick up the pace in the last third or so.

I also recommend this:

587402.jpg

Beautiful book.

I didn't like Hotel New Hampshire as much as some of his others. Still liked it a lot. And I agree with Fritz, A Widow for One Year was very good.

51U%2BqKjj2LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I downloaded the free version to my Kindle, for my son to use as a book report. When he changed his mind about what book he wanted to do, I started to read it myself. Just for the hell of it.

Enjoying this a lot more than I thought that I would.

51U%2BqKjj2LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I downloaded the free version to my Kindle, for my son to use as a book report. When he changed his mind about what book he wanted to do, I started to read it myself. Just for the hell of it.

Enjoying this a lot more than I thought that I would.

I LOVE Dickens. Some friends and fellow avid readers cringe when I say that, but he was an amazing storyteller.

I LOVE Dickens. Some friends and fellow avid readers cringe when I say that, but he was an amazing storyteller.

I think he's one of those authors that people read because they feel that they "have to," and then they wind up enjoying the hell out of those books.

I guess there's a reason that some things become Classics.

Oh man - I can't tell you how many times I've re-read the story "Hills Like White Elephants." It kills me.

Hills like white Elephants is totally beautiful and flows with a slow poetic rhythm. One of the better/best Hemingway short stories for certain.