Now Playing: January, 2011

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished:

funkadelic_funkadelic.jpg Now Playing: TR-Runt.jpg

Man, I wish I hadn't missed this.

Isbell's been talking a lot about his new album on Facebook/Twitter. If it's anywhere near as good as his last one (and he seems to think it is), I'll be very happy.

edit: Never mind, here it is. JTE, with Isbell on guitar. (Maybe Letterman will have Isbell back to do his own stuff soon?)

Good Lord, how the heck did I miss this guy???

Good Lord, how the heck did I miss this guy???

I know, right?

And for those who are curious, Isbell posted this on Facebook:

"That guitar from last night is an old Harmony prep that was restored by Scott Baxendale. It's from the late 20's."

51ihfdGqgXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is a nice change of pace after all the mellow stuff, 16 songs in 17 minutes or something like that. Classic Punk sound.

I've heard good things about this. Supposeedly rivals the Keith Morris era Black Flag. AND includes Steve McDonald from Redd Kross.

freeyourmind.jpg

Really enjoying this. Haven't heard their debut effort but I'm liking the dreamy melodies contrasted with some glam-rocky guitar work. Definitely going to give this repeated listens but my favorite release of the new year (only 10 days in :whoo) so far.

You can stream this in its entirety over at NPR music's First Listen page:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/09/132715250/first-listen-smith-westerns-dye-it-blonde#playlist

1293136018_2ns-dye-it-blonde.jpg

Was just listening to Fables of the Reconstruction while taking the ornaments off the Christmas tree. I doubt I've heard this album all the way through in many, many years. But the closing song, Wendell Gee, just hit me like a mack truck. God, that's a sad and beautiful song.

That album was a crucial component of my high school years. I was already a fan when it was released, and it only deepened my love of that band.

Patton Oswalt references it a lot in an early chapter of his new book.

Really enjoying this. Haven't heard their debut effort but I'm liking the dreamy melodies contrasted with some glam-rocky guitar work. Definitely going to give this repeated listens but my favorite release of the new year (only 10 days in :whoo) so far.

You can stream this in its entirety over at NPR music's First Listen page:

http://www.npr.org/2...blonde#playlist

1293136018_2ns-dye-it-blonde.jpg

def a really good record and WAY better than the debut

A mix of Shrimp Boat songs that I am making for a friend.