Aerosmith was my gateway to popular music. If it gets you listening, that's fine. The idea that one should only listen to inherently 'good' music - that it is somehow 'better' for you - is crap.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, and I have in recent years, with the help of my 4 year old son, been able to reconnect with the idea of music as fun and not as cerebral or whatever. But I would also be saddened if I hadn't stumbled upon certain bands that changed my life. And I was exposed to some of this less than overtly popular music through various avenues, commercials, other bands, year end lists, tv/movies, etc. I'm just saying it can be a crime that so much good is overlooked when so much "bad" is promoted and stuffed down our throats.

But as far as me judging Lady Gaga or other current pop music. I just don't love top 40 of today the way I love the sound of pop music in lets say 1972. The Carpenters could put down a sweet tune. Lady Gaga or Kanye or whatever sounds like a bunch of computers farting. Now that is just to my ears.

Someone who loves Leonard Cohen or Nick Drake does not objectively have better taste than someone who prefers Alicia Keys or Lady Gaga.

I agree for the most part but damn, doesn't someone who loves (Insert your favorite band here) have objectively better taste than someone who loves Nickelback?

Hey Aerosmith kicks ass (or did at one time, anyway).

For me, it was Casey Casem's American Top 40, circa early '80s. I specifically remember liking Hall & Oates and John Fogerty. I had a lot of Kiss records before that, but I think I thought of them more as toys than music.

Perhaps they're just toys...in the attic?

the song blows, as far as i'm concerned

plodding, pointless, bloated, self-absorbed

"a song that thought too much of itself right out of the box" is a terrific way to put it!

Wait... it's a Yes song?

But I would also be saddened if I hadn't stumbled upon certain bands that changed my life.

No you wouldn't.

I agree for the most part but damn, doesn't someone who loves (Insert your favorite band here) have objectively better taste than someone who loves Nickelback?

No.

Nickelback is probably as close as we'll ever get to proving that taste can be objective.

That would be subjective.

I failed English in High School my junior year. I had to re-take it in Summer School... My Dad made fun of me "you failed English!?! You speak English!!!"

Thanks for the correction. I need them from time to time.

Wild - I was in Starbucks earlier today and some Buckley-esque rendition of 'Hallelujah' was playing overhead, and I thought "Enough of playing Hallelujah, people. It's not fucking Love Shack." So I don't have a problem with all the covers specifically, just the number of times I hear the song. It's a great song that loses some of its magic each time it is aired.

Best use of it is in Basquiat.

I would have not been introduced to Nick Drake if it wasn't for the VW commerical being played 1000 times. I think any exposure of the actual music is a good thing, especially for reputable artists. For every die hard fan that may feel alienated, 1000 more people will be introduced to the music. Sure it gets tedious when you are watching American Idol (which I do) and you hear "Halleluah"for the 10th time in 10 seasons, but I'd take it over someone belting out a freaking Alicia Keys song.

i saw this link posted today:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/john_roderick_reverb_residency/

i saw this link posted today:

http://blogs.seattle...verb_residency/

The only problem with lost nuggets being unearthed in that manner is when people don't do their homework, as when I heard Pink Moon on the radio around that time, and the DJ said "That was Nick Drake, with a new song off his new album, Pink Moon." He really said 'new' twice. I almost drove off the road.

• 2 years later...