Arizona mass shooting

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He carried out a mass shooting on innocent individuals = he was out of his gourd. There is no better proof than that.

We both know that doesn’t prove he is insane. Sane people are fully capable of performing insane acts.

Guest Speed Racer

We both know that doesn’t prove he is insane. Sane people are fully capable of performing insane acts.

I never said he was insane - truly, legally insane - did I? But he ain't right in the head.

Guest Speed Racer

Well yes, but it seems you are pointing to the legal definition and I'm pointing to the one where, regardless of whether you know it's right or wrong, you shoot a gun into a crowd of innocent people.

Well yes, but it seems you are pointing to the legal definition and I'm pointing to the one where, regardless of whether you know it's right or wrong, you shoot a gun into a crowd of innocent people.

True, as I thought the actual definition of insane was what we were discussing. Not what you and I define as crazy. A psychotic break, which, keeping in mind I’m not a lawyer, is one criteria by which someone can be found to be legally insane. So, if he’s not truly insane, can tell right from wrong, isn’t (or wasn’t) suffering from some form of psychosis, organic or inorganic, we have to start looking for other contributing factors – such as, say, his environment.

Guest Speed Racer

Healthy people don't shoot other innocent people. Come to think of it, even moderately unhealthy people don't either. I guess I have a low bar for insanity, on a personal if not professional or intellectual level.

You know, I have to say that I'm rather impressed at the level of civility and even respect that you folks have been showing one another in most of this thread. I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically. With such hot-button issues, it's really refreshing seeing our members allow each other to voice their thoughts without being insulted or attacked. Let's try to continue this discussion, passionately if you choose, but without losing it on each other.

Thank you,

:cheekkiss

The Management

Guest Speed Racer

Sure they do.

Examples? (This with the idea that we will not agree ultimately, but see that one of us is more quick to apply the label of healthy, right or wrong, sooner than the other.)

This is half smartassed/half serious so feel free to half answer. What if the shooter, free of a diagnosed mental illness, had, according to his logic, a belief that not one person in the crowd was innocent?

Guest Speed Racer

You know, I have to say that I'm rather impressed at the level of civility and even respect that you folks have been showing one another in most of this thread.

For god's sake, stay on topic.

:lol

This is half smartassed/half serious so feel free to half answer. What if the shooter, free of a diagnosed mental illness, had, according to his logic, a belief that not one person in the crowd was innocent?

According to one's own logic, one can never be wrong, no?

According to one's own logic, one can never be wrong, no?

So would that make him out of his gourd or still in it? Wait... the above was the half answer I requested wasn't it? :lol

The thing that disturbs me, outside of the absolute carnage this man caused, is how he fell through the cracks.

This wasn't a guy who his few friends and neighbors proclaim as being a nice quite man who kept to himself. Some of the statements attributed to his associates are troubling. This guy was a powder keg and there was nothing that anybody could or would do to get him help. That and he was able to obtain firearms.

With my personal experience, I can see how things can spiral sickeningly out of control. People need to reach out to others in need and extend a lifeline. It may not be successful. But even the failed attempt may serve as a wake up call.

Sane people are fully capable of performing insane acts.

actually, no.

sane people are capable of committing horrendous, unforgivable, unfathomable acts, but if it's an insane act, then it's an insane actor, however permanent or temporary.

Guest Speed Racer

The thing that disturbs me, outside of the absolute carnage this man caused, is how he fell through the cracks.

This.

All of the accounts I've read are very quick to provide detailed red flags that popped up throughout his life, but no one ever did anything but pass him on to someone else like a hot potato. These people bear more responsibility than any talking head, in my opinion.

Examples? (This with the idea that we will not agree ultimately, but see that one of us is more quick to apply the label of healthy, right or wrong, sooner than the other.)

(Speaking dispassionately here) Must one be unhealthy (by “unhealthy” I’m assuming you mean, not of sound mind) to shoot a spouse, for say, a large insurance payoff, an act of infidelity? What about folks in the military who open fire on innocent civilians – a fairly common occurrence by military standards. Or, someone so convinced that certain government officials are hell bent on destroying the country, that they feel it is their duty to stop them by taking the “second amendment remedy" as suggested by Nevada Tea Party candidate, Sharon Angle.

Guest Speed Racer

(Speaking dispassionately here) Must one be unhealthy (by “unhealthy” I’m assuming you mean, not of sound mind) to shoot a spouse, for say, a large insurance payoff, an act of infidelity?

I don't think so, necessarily. I wouldn't make a sweeping judgment on a case like that, and for infidelity I would go so far as to say any otherwise healthy person could be consumed with white-hot rage over infidelity. Without the tools to deal with that rage productively, violence could bubble up easily.

What about folks in the military who open fire on innocent civilians – a fairly common occurrence by military standards.

These people are an entirely different classification of ill - but are definitely (and sometimes only temporarily) ill.

Or, someone so convinced that certain government officials are hell bent on destroying the country, that they feel it is their duty to stop them by taking the “second amendment remedy" as suggested by Nevada Tea Party candidate, Sharon Angle.

But this hasn't really happened, has it? What we have here is a man who everyone says, in every single article, was out of his gourd. Off. Not quite right. Prone to uncontrolled outbursts.

This man killed old ladies in a crowd. He was not at war with anything but himself.

You know, I have to say that I'm rather impressed at the level of civility and even respect that you folks have been showing one another in most of this thread. I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically. With such hot-button issues, it's really refreshing seeing our members allow each other to voice their thoughts without being insulted or attacked. Let's try to continue this discussion, passionately if you choose, but without losing it on each other.

Thank you,

:cheekkiss

The Management

preemptive moderation

This wasn't a guy who his few friends and neighbors proclaim as being a nice quite man who kept to himself. Some of the statements attributed to his associates are troubling. This guy was a powder keg and there was nothing that anybody could or would do to get him help. That and he was able to obtain firearms.

With my personal experience, I can see how things can spiral sickeningly out of control. People need to reach out to others in need and extend a lifeline. It may not be successful. But even the failed attempt may serve as a wake up call.

I agree so much. It's so much easier to look away, to stay uninvolved...and truthfully, there are times this is even necessary, for our own safety...but far more often, there are ways in which we could be kind and caring humans, and maybe make a huge world of difference by not shying away. Once again, the signs were there and people didn't act. If someone had, maybe those people would be alive still, and their families wouldn't be shattered with grief. I'm going to recommit myself to doing better and try to be more help.