Arizona mass shooting

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the speech helped the loved ones of the victims and the people of Tuscon feel better, but I felt nothing, other than letdown by the feeling that nothing's going to change, nothing in our national conversation is going to be 'worthy' of these victims.

I'm not sure I understand what will bring about the change that's sought. From movies to music we're a culture that thrives on violence. Folks have been railing against video games and rap music forever. Does violent language cause horrendous acts like this?

If one could envision themselves pointing a finger at a politician why not a video game? The truth is we've polluted this ground water for a very very long time. Does political rhetoric drive that or does it arise from it? I don't pretend to know what the solution is but the problem is certainly more complex than so and so group of people use language unskillfully. It's used because it resonates with people. So how to stop that?

Guest Speed Racer

I'm not sure I understand what will bring about the change that's sought. From movies to music we're a culture that thrives on violence. Folks have been railing against video games and rap music forever. Does violent language cause horrendous acts like this?

If one could envision themselves pointing a finger at a politician why not a video game? The truth is we've polluted this ground water for a very very long time. Does political rhetoric drive that or does it arise from it? I don't pretend to know what the solution is but the problem is certainly more complex than so and so group of people use language unskillfully. It's used because it resonates with people. So how to stop that?

One might argue that we've always been a culture of violence, for thousands of years - since the beginning of man? That we no longer have a direct need for violence on an individual level, and now see it as a form of entertainment or information, is probably more detrimental to our psyches than when we had to protect ourselves against actual threats. Huh.

I hope the speech helped the loved ones of the victims and the people of Tuscon feel better, but I felt nothing, other than letdown by the feeling that nothing's going to change, nothing in our national conversation is going to be 'worthy' of these victims.

That's all it really was supposed to do I guess.

None of this is going to keep Sarah Palin from using an anti-semetic term to keep her from feeling guilty about her behavor. Neither she nor any of the other talking heads created this situation, but they also aren't being very humble about it in light of what has occured.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

None of this is going to keep Sarah Palin from using an anti-semetic term to keep her from feeling guilty about her behavor.

Of course not. Nothing can ever stop anything that's already happened.

One might argue that we've always been a culture of violence, for thousands of years - since the beginning of man? That we no longer have a direct need for violence on an individual level, and now see it as a form of entertainment or information, is probably more detrimental to our psyches than when we had to protect ourselves against actual threats. Huh.

Great post. :thumbup

Agreed. The whole event had a sort of pep rally feel to it which was a little weird, but I thought the speech was strong.

Yeah, it would have been better if they kept the college kids away. Very strange; felt like a campaign rally at times.

That's all it really was supposed to do I guess.

None of this is going to keep Sarah Palin from using an anti-semetic term to keep her from feeling guilty about her behavor. Neither she nor any of the other talking heads created this situation, but they also aren't being very humble about it in light of what has occured.

LouieB

I'm not a member of the tribe, but it is my impression that the term blood libel itself is not anti-semitic. Blood Libel is anti-semitic.

It's over the top and hysterical, but I don't think that anybody but a handful of hard core types take Palin seriously.

Yeah, it would have been better if they kept the college kids away. Very strange; felt like a campaign rally at times.

President Obama's message was spot on. The crowd was raucus and that was disconcerting and distasteful.

President Obama's message was spot on. The crowd was raucus and that was disconcerting and distasteful.

I did not watch it intially because I was afraid of a repeat of the Wellstone Funeral. I am not in any remote way a supporter of Obama but his speech was well done and I will give him credit when credit is due. The crowds reaction was boorish at times but there s no way to control peoples actions if they dont get what is acceptable behaviour. Nothing will change about civil discourse in the long term .... the right will behave in ways that the left doesnt agree with and the left will behave in ways that the right wont agree with .and no one will look themselves in the mirror from the President on down to see that we all act in divisive ways

I did not watch it intially because I was afraid of a repeat of the Wellstone Funeral. I am not in any remote way a supporter of Obama but his speech was well done and I will give him credit when credit is due. The crowds reaction was boorish at times but there s no way to control peoples actions if they dont get what is acceptable behaviour. Nothing will change about civil discourse in the long term .... the right will behave in ways that the left doesnt agree with and the left will behave in ways that the right wont agree with .and no one will look themselves in the mirror from the President on down to see that we all act in divisive ways

And in case any of my friends here feel the Wellstone memorial as Political Rally is overblown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMVVUtd_Yw

Don't blame the messenger (Foxnews). It is what it is.

I get the sense that the service was it intended to be more than just a memorial, but also a celebration of the lives of the deceased - so in that sense, I feel the crowds reaction, though boisterous at times, was not inappropriate.

I've attended several memorial services ranging from depressingly somber to downright funny and celebratory, all in all, I prefer the latter.

I don't get the impression that Wellstone would have wanted his memorial any other way though.

Except for one thing.

Not everybody that mourned Wellstone and attended the memorial were frothing at the mouth democrats.

The guy was a nutjob!

CNN posted an article that said he was a suspected member of a conspiracy theory website. On their forums someone put this thread together and included links to some of the threads he started and his posts. Completely crazy.

His affliction did not go unnoticed.

reply posted on 13-7-2010 @ 03:59 PM by Wertdagf

reply to post by Erad3

just thought id pop in to let you know that to me you sound absolutely bonkers.

I'm not a member of the tribe, but it is my impression that the term blood libel itself is not anti-semitic. Blood Libel is anti-semitic.

It's over the top and hysterical, but I don't think that anybody but a handful of hard core types take Palin seriously.

You are more or less correct. It is a fairly specific term to refer to Jews killing children to put their blood in the passover matzo. By trying to say that Palin's actions led to the shootings in Tuscon is her verson of being blood libeled. If she had only stopped at saying that connecting her to the shooting was libel, well okay, that would have been a reasonable point, since even those of us who aren't Palin fans don't think she was personally responsible for this (I would hardly give her this much credit...).

By trying to connect herself to what is the most heinous of old school antisemetic folklore is untenable and clearly stupid. As someone on some leftish talk radio pointed out the other day, that speech was undoubtedly written for her and she probably didn't even know what she was saying. Using a term like that can only pour gas on a fire that would have quickly been put out in the days following this event when it became evident that this guy was just nuts and not a right wing crank.

LouieB

You are more or less correct. It is a fairly specific term to refer to Jews killing children to put their blood in the passover matzo. By trying to say that Palin's actions led to the shootings in Tuscon is her verson of being blood libeled. If she had only stopped at saying that connecting her to the shooting was libel, well okay, that would have been a reasonable point, since even those of us who aren't Palin fans don't think she was personally responsible for this (I would hardly give her this much credit...).

By trying to connect herself to what is the most heinous of old school antisemetic folklore is untenable and clearly stupid. As someone on some leftish talk radio pointed out the other day, that speech was undoubtedly written for her and she probably didn't even know what she was saying. Using a term like that can only pour gas on a fire that would have quickly been put out in the days following this event when it became evident that this guy was just nuts and not a right wing crank.

LouieB

Cheap and stupid? You betcha. Anti-Semitic? Very doubtful. She probably heard the term 'blood libel' somewhere and thought the expression had legs.