Justin Townes Earle will be playing at a public library

Actually Justin has an extensive worldwide tour going after a successful rehab. He will be in Chicago at the Metro on February 10. The Bloodshot folks are happy now. And I am sure his fans are also. Not to mention his parents and himself.

LouieB

What an odd expression.

I live right near this so I'll be going for sure.

What an odd expression.

I live right near this so I'll be going for sure.

Not so strange. I have friend who's son is battlng a herion addiction and he made it through rehab and immediately relapsed. Sometimes serval rehabs are necessary. Now he is in a day program and doing pretty well, but it is always touch and go. Justin could well do the same and derail his career badly, but so far he seems pretty good. Being on the road is a hard place to stay on the straight and narrow. Plenty of artists have not made it.

I wish Justin only the best. He is a great guy and a talented performer, but he has had these troubles before and could again without lots and lots of support and self control. Rehabs aren't necessarily succussful.

LouieB

I just saw that Justin will be playing at a local movie theater here in Norfolk in April. It's a small independent cinema that shows indie, foreign, etc., films, and they very occasionally rent out the theater for special events--concerts, public discussions, etc. I was thrilled to see he'll be playing there on April 7. It looks like it'll be part of a singer/songwriter festival weekend.

Not so strange. I have friend who's son is battlng a herion addiction and he made it through rehab and immediately relapsed. Sometimes serval rehabs are necessary. Now he is in a day program and doing pretty well, but it is always touch and go. Justin could well do the same and derail his career badly, but so far he seems pretty good. Being on the road is a hard place to stay on the straight and narrow. Plenty of artists have not made it.

I wish Justin only the best. He is a great guy and a talented performer, but he has had these troubles before and could again without lots and lots of support and self control. Rehabs aren't necessarily succussful.

LouieB

Since recovery is a one day at a time thing, there's just a finality to the word 'successful' that struck me as discordant. That's all.

• 4 weeks later...

While Justin didn't play the library last night, he did play Metro to a fairly large crowd for a cold Thursday. It was a bit of a triumphant return to Chicago. He looked and sounded great (although the extra echo on in the Metro sound system was a bit irritating to me.) Backed by a stand up bass and violin (more than fiddle) he is back in top form. He even played a new song, which was fun. He was particularly chatty about bad girlfriends, his parents, his addictions, etc.

Good time all around. You have to wish Justin the best of luck, but even as he says, he loves booze and cocaine, so this may not be the last time we see him in and out of rehab. But in the meantime, he is on a bit of a roll. His star continues to rise.

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from an amazing Justin Townes Earle show tonight. I had no idea he would be such an intense, commanding performer. Honestly, he had much the same power and connection wtih the audience as Jeff Tweedy. If you have a chance to see him on this tour, don't miss it. One of the highlights--among many--was a mesmerizing cover of "Racing in the Street." What a gifted, unique talent he is.

Just got back from an amazing Justin Townes Earle show tonight. I had no idea he would be such an intense, commanding performer. Honestly, he had much the same power and connection wtih the audience as Jeff Tweedy. If you have a chance to see him on this tour, don't miss it. One of the highlights--among many--was a mesmerizing cover of "Racing in the Street." What a gifted, unique talent he is.

Racing In The Street! that is cool. i saw him solo open up for jason isbell several years ago. it was before he had an album out.

I'm pretty sure a 7" of Racing In the Street is on the list for Record Store Day releases.

Let's hope so. Whatever it is I plan to buy it. On Bloodshot records I do believe. Yes, that's what their website says....it is the B side actually. I wonder what Bruce gets from this?

LouieB