Anyone else hoping to a B-sides compilation?

Looking over the "Non-Album Tracks" thread made me think that JT could put together a really cool B-side compilation of studio tracks not on an album or EP. Think how cool a record with this track listing would be:

Blasting Fonda

Cars Can’t Escape

Childlike and Evergreen

Just a Kid

No More Poetry

Promising

Student Loan Stereo

Any Major Dude Will Tell You

Burned

I Am Not Willin

The Jolly Banker

One Hundred Years From Now

Thirteen

The T.B. Is Whipping Me

True Love Will Find You In The End

When the Roses Bloom Again

Tried And True

Unlikely Japan

I realize that they are all available piece-meal and we all prolly have mp3 on our harddrives, but a proper record would be cool (vinyl?)

Looking over the "Non-Album Tracks" thread made me think that JT could put together a really cool B-side compilation of studio tracks not on an album or EP. Think how cool a record with this track listing would be:

Don't forget The High Heat, One True Vine, Let Me Come Home & Dark Neon.

I think you could put Panthers, Kicking TV, Magazine Called Sunset, Bob Dylans 49th Beard, More like the Moon, and the Good Part on there. I think it would be cool if they did this as a double disc or a box set. I'm sure there are recordings of songs we've never even heard of. They could pick through and put a couple of the best ones on there. I'd buy it.

The High Heat is from The Wilco Book, which was sort of an A Ghost Is Born outtakes album.

The High Heat is from The Wilco Book, which was sort of an A Ghost Is Born outtakes album.

Yes. I think stuff from Wilco Book, three EPs, ST DVD or Ashes DVD would not be as interesting as true B-sides or misc. soundtrack songs.

Ditto to all comments. My guess however that dealing with 2 record labels may make a career retrospective B-side collection difficult.

Unless the band owns their masters, which they very well could.

I actually hope not. I like finding these gems through other means. Also it has always seemed to me that any time a B-Side complication is put out it means

1) The band is leaving their current record label and said label is trying to squeeze out a bit more money of the band (which I would have thought WB would have done before YHF)

2) The band has no more good music to create so they are trying squeeze out another album where they don't actually have to work on it (all about the money again)

Plus with digital downloads and rampant internet piracy, would make sense to try to sell an album of substandard material (to be truthful that is what B-sides are, songs that aren't good enough to make an album) from a band that the majority of the record buying public don't even know or care about?

I say make your own, or I am sure someone here could make one for you if you asked nice.

I think many of the songs that are being lumped in with the "B-Sides" group in this thread are good enough to have been on albums -- but obviously that's not my call. I already have most of these songs and probably would pay for them if they were put out on an official Wilco release, particularly if they were remastered or released in alternate versions, or if they came in LP form with cool packaging, artwork, etc. I'm a bit of a completist (or am trying to be) and support the band whenever I can, that is, buying records, concert tickets, merchandise, etc. when I can. Considering how many free live recordings I've grabbed, in addition to a few b-sides/singles here and there from various people, I'm happy to fork out a few dollars for some product.

Let Me Come Home?

How about My Words. i would love to have a nice package of these, minus random alternate takes and live versions.

Ditto to all comments. My guess however that dealing with 2 record labels may make a career retrospective B-side collection difficult.

Doesn't Warner own both Nonesuch and Reprise, I don't think that would be an issue here, and now that they are leaving now would be the time to do it.

What is Let Me Come Home? do you mean, let's not get carried away?

anyway, i wonder if this is in the works. we haven't heard any rumblings of a new wilco album for the spring and i wonder if they owe warner one more album. mmm?

• 3 weeks later...

I always kind of wanted a boxed set or deluxe editions with rarities...I know I'm greedy.

Some stuff I would want (if it still exists/ ever did):

"Let's Hear it For Rock"- a good quality studio version.

John Stirratt A.M. Songs- John submitted 3 songs for inclusion on A.M. Only one made it.

Being There Outtakes- according to Learning to Die, the album came from a pool of about 30 songs.

"Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)- David Kahne single remix only available on promo cds.

"Whispery Kisses"- a Finished version of this song.

"Jesus, Etc"- the original demo recording that Jay Bennett did, and Tweedy sang over.

"Spiders"- a studio version of the early arrangement.

"My Words"- full band studio version

SBS Outtakes- supposedly there were 6 SBS outtakes...We have 4. Still 2 left. Maybe a studio version of "Let's Fight"?

In addition to these, all of the b-sides and stuff we already have would make a pretty sweet boxed set.