I am thinking about buying a mini guitar amp as a practice amp. The ones I am looking at are Vox Mini 3, Pignose 7-100, and Orange Micro Crush Amp. I play with a Fender Jazzmaster with humbuckers and I have heard the Pignose 7-100 can cause problems for guitars with humbuckers and it can also have trouble with a clean tone sometimes. I was wondering if this was true?

Also for any of these amps, would it be a problem (such as blowing the speaker out) if I put a lot of effect pedals through it such as delay pedal, fuzz, distortion, kaoss pad, reverb, whammy pedal?

Phil

Your not really going to be thinking about tone with a mini guitar amp. Their whole purpose is to be a portable guitar amp that you can take anywhere, don't expect it to actually sound good. However Pignose's actually do sound pretty decent. I've never played out of the other one's you have listed, but Pignoses actually have a little low end to them and produce a nice warm sound at low volumes. Turn it up, and you'll get some distortion (which can be a good thing) but be careful not to blow it. I'm sure it's ok to run pedals through it but again keep it at low volumes. Those tiny little speakers blow pretty easily.

So is this guy:

p32223.jpg

Pure simplicity. 5W, all Class A tubes. A single volume knob and that's it.

Just pure tone — the sound of your guitar.

Usually sells for right around $100.

Wow, I guess mini amps have come a long way since I last used one. When I was in music school, most of the guitarists brought their mini amps to class of all shapes and sizes. With all of them playing at once, it was the most atrocious sound imaginable.

That VOX and Epi look nice though.

So is this guy:

p32223.jpg

Pure simplicity. 5W, all Class A tubes. A single volume knob and that's it.

Just pure tone — the sound of your guitar.

Usually sells for right around $100.

I have the head and cabinet version of this. It's a wonderful thing. The combo version would definitely be more economical and easier to transport, and probably sound pretty much the same as the head/cab version.

Smokey-group.jpeg

If you want to go super portable and mini.

Mini amps link

For wah/effects purposes these would be lousy. However, I did use one when recording my album and it worked very nicely for its purpose.

• 3 weeks later...