Why is there such disappointment over Wilco(The Album)?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "One Wing" and "Country Disappeared" are two of the weakest songs they've written, especially lyrically. I can see how people would like "I'll Fight," but it does absolutely nothing for me.

I heard "One Wing" in the grocery store the other day. I didn't realize how grating the vocals are until that - I didn't initially recognize it as "One Wing," I just heard the opening lines and cringed, then heard the riff and recognized it. Not a song that should ever be played over a PA system.

i was never crazy about ''one wing'' until hearing jeff play it solo. completely changed my opinion of the song.

Or the guitar line being pretty close to this:

Throwing a big guitar freak out/noise ending is a pretty cliched way for Wilco to end a song, I'm glad they chose differently for One Wing.

I'm also glad they changed the key, F# minor is much nicer for this tune.

Or the guitar line being pretty close to this:

Throwing a big guitar freak out/noise ending is a pretty cliched way for Wilco to end a song, I'm glad they chose differently for One Wing.

I'm also glad they changed the key, F# minor is much nicer for this tune.

Ha! I never realized how similar the riffs are in those two songs! Also, I agree that "One Wing" sounds better in F#m.

I am a Bottle Rockets fan and while they continue to be sort of alt.country, they are a very fine band which has survived and are actually prospering. They rock like crazy in concert and still write excellent songs. They aren't Wilco, but they are still a very fun band. There was never a question about Brian Henneman staying with Wilco. He was a hired hand for AM and continued to front the Bottle Rockets.

LouieB

I am a Bottle Rockets fan and while they continue to be sort of alt.country, they are a very fine band which has survived and are actually prospering. They rock like crazy in concert and still write excellent songs. They aren't Wilco, but they are still a very fun band. There was never a question about Brian Henneman staying with Wilco. He was a hired hand for AM and continued to front the Bottle Rockets.

LouieB

I thought I remembered reading in "Learning How to Die" that Henneman was offered the full-time gig after he was hired for A.M., but he declined because the Bottle Rockets were just starting to...launch?

I thought I remembered reading in "Learning How to Die" that Henneman was offered the full-time gig after he was hired for A.M., but he declined because the Bottle Rockets were just starting to...launch?

You may very well be correct about this. I could never bring myself to read the book.

LouieB

Did Henneman ever play on stage as a member of Wilco or did he leave after the recording of AM?

I think I actually know the answer to this...no and yes. (Again I could be wrong....!!)

He did not play with them in the wake of releasing AM, but Jeff did join The Bottle Rockets during the Gary Scheppers benefit back in 2006 and played a couple AM numbers then. Apparently Brian had not played with Jeff since the AM sessions up until that point.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

the Bottle Rockets were just starting to...launch?

I saw that. Consider this your warning. :lol

I could never bring myself to read the book.

Picture your worst-case scenario for this book then add the number of former members and multiply it by recording sessions. I read it with one eye closed, and mostly didn't look directly at it.

I saw that. Consider this your warning. :lol

Picture your worst-case scenario for this book then add the number of former members and multiply it by recording sessions. I read it with one eye closed, and mostly didn't look directly at it.

The best part of that book is our very own kidsmoke getting a special thanks in the acknowledgements.

--Mike

WTA sounds like Wico and I'm fine with that! I don't think it's disappointing at all.

That's all well and good if you are a Wico fan. Most people here would probably prefer that Wilco(The Album) sounded like Wilco.

W(TA) was not a bad record - I listened to it a lot when it came out, but unlike every other Wilco record before it, I'm not sure if I ever want to hear it again.