Why is there such disappointment over Wilco(The Album)?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's gotten healthy, has a wife and family he loves and has a killer band. Life is good. He is writing us postcards from his life. It was once life on the edge. Now it's postcards from home. His evolution is somewhat akin to what Springsteen experienced in the middle stages of his career sans the mega-hits.

\

I love that Jeff Tweedy is so wonderfully outspoken and open about his mental health issues and I think the YHF and AGIB feel like Tweedy's being open and honest with us about his troubles; but maybe not, there's a wall there. It just feels like it's true whereas Wilco(the album) doesn't feel vulnerable in that same way. But you don't have to be depressed to be edgy. When I was at my worst with depression, it was hard to get out of bed. I couldn't work on my novel to save my life, so the fact that Jeff Tweedy could create any music during that time in his life is amazing to me. I don't think Jeff Tweedy'z happiness will get in the way of his edge.

I think Wilco(the Album) is just a fun album and I think the edge is in the concept of the album, or at least what I would interpret to be the concept of the album. Wilco pretending to be Wilco but then doing some things totally atypical of what we've seen Wilco do. I don't know if I'm really explaining that right or if it really qualifies as edge but I think Wilco(the Album) was a risk.

I like that Tweedy tried something new. As a writer, I can appreciate that. Even if Tweedy writing in the 3rd person pov didn't work for a lot of us, I think it's cool that he pushed himself to try. As long as Tweedy keeps pushing himself; as long as the band as a whole keeps exploring, there will always be edge no matter how blissfully happy they all are.

I like Wilco(the album) a lot but I'd be lying if I didn't think to myself once or twice: I'm glad Jeff Tweedy seems to be happy; I just wish he didn't sound so happy! I love his melancholy voice more than his singer-in-a-band-voice.

Also, am I the only one that thinks 'You and I' isn't corny and sugary-sweet? I get a kick out of some of the comments on youtube about boys learning the chords to try it out on a girl they like. The lyrics "I don't want to know, I don't need to know everything about you and you don't need to know that much about me" wouldn't win me over. It works great as a duet though. I think that it's those lyrics that keep it from being so sweet.

I'm confused about my feelings for this album.

I like every song on it, really like several of them. But whereas I think of every other Wilco album as a cohesive whole...an ALBUM...this feels like a collection of songs. It really does have a "greatest hits" vibe, a group of songs that don't belong together. For the artists I like, I don't listen to (or own) their Best Of collections. I listen to the source albums, and I listen to them all the way through. We don't have that option here. With W(TA), there are no source albums. All we have is this collection, that comes with that nice bonus track of Jeff dueting with some pop singer. So sometimes I listen to it, and I like each song, and I wonder why it doesn't feel like an album, and why I won't want to listen to it again for a long time.

This is unique for me, by the way. I can't think of any album, by any other artist, where I would make comments like this. Other disappointments always come down to the songs themselves.

I'm confused about my feelings for this album.

Guest Speed Racer

As odd as this is, I was also bothered that it wasn't really a duet. She doesn't take the lead at all, does she? Just backs Tweedy. And it's not a real twosies song like "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart." It works too fine as a solo piece; it's like they threw her in just because they thought it would be fun for them. Which is fine, I mean, I'm not the Wilco police, but why call it a duet?

I don't know that there will ever be another time in my life where I wonder why something can't be more like "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart."

I like all the albums. I don't think W(TA) is terrible, or that SBS is boring. But...

...like all songwriters, Mr. Tweedy needs an editor, a springboard, whatever you want to call it. Bennett was a check and balance through YHF. Perhaps Jeff had something to prove of AGIB (because of Jay's exit), which provided an accountability on the songwriting and production. Like a lot of great songwriters who achieve a certain status, they create a band, and indeed a life, where there is no one left to tell them "no".

I think the more mainstream, almost syrupy songwriting of "I'll Fight" and "You and I" could have been offset by some rougher production. They seem almost pedestrian and the arrangement exposes the weakness of the songwriting. "My Darling" is a song of a similar ilk, yet because of the arrangement and instrumentation, it creates an ethereal atmosphere that detract (in a good way) from the almost insipid lyric.

Being a songwriter, I can say that you can't really help what you write. Most of the time, it just happens: you don't choose the song. But, the question is, what songs do you let through the gate, and what songs do trash?

Check out both versions of "Spiders (Kidsmoke)". There really isn't to much going on with the actual melody: an "A" part, four lines of simple melody, and cryptic lyric, a "B" part that doesn't appear until the end, but there still isn't much going on there: a melody confined to four notes, and no "lift", and no real chorus. And yet, and I totally dig both versions of the song, as do most of you, from what I can discern. But the arrangements in both versions aren't mainstream pop. One is Krautrock, the other folk. Both are a little polarizing, in the best possible way: it forces you to react. I think the disappointment in some of W(TA) is that it doesn't challenge the listener, and most Wilco fans want the challenge. I don't have to react to "You and I". I can listen to it while I do the dishes. And maybe that's the problem.

this is the best bit of "what's wrong with Wilco" response I've read in a loooong time....

-Robert

The whole album just seemed safe for them, from top to bottom. No real change in mood, atmosphere. No continual vibe from start to finish. (Except blah) No ride to be taken on.

The whole album just seemed safe for them, from top to bottom. No real change in mood, atmosphere. No continual vibe from start to finish. (Except blah) No ride to be taken on.

Perhaps Bennett was Tweedy's muse...

"Check out both versions of "Spiders (Kidsmoke)". There really isn't to much going on with the actual melody: an "A" part, four lines of simple melody, and cryptic lyric, a "B" part that doesn't appear until the end, but there still isn't much going on there: a melody confined to four notes, and no "lift", and no real chorus. And yet, and I totally dig both versions of the song, as do most of you, from what I can discern. But the arrangements in both versions aren't mainstream pop. One is Krautrock, the other folk."

Can I ask what this "other" version of Spiders is? I'm only aware of the version that ended up on AGIB. is there an alternative arrangement floating around out there? Or are you simply referring to the solo acoustic Tweedy version from his various shows?

if there's another full-band version of Spiders out there somewhere, I'd love to get my grubby hands on it!

Thanks.

Can I ask what this "other" version of Spiders is? I'm only aware of the version that ended up on AGIB. is there an alternative arrangement floating around out there? Or are you simply referring to the solo acoustic Tweedy version from his various shows?

if there's another full-band version of Spiders out there somewhere, I'd love to get my grubby hands on it!

Thanks.

There are several options out there, best place to get them in one place is the Owl & Bear archive. You can hear the song in-the-works in a lot of shows from '02 and '03.

There are several options out there, best place to get them in one place is the Owl & Bear archive. You can hear the song in-the-works in a lot of shows from '02 and '03.

ah! Thank you. I have a few shows from that era but haven't noticed versions of it. Off to dig I go...

ah! Thank you. I have a few shows from that era but haven't noticed versions of it. Off to dig I go...

I think there is a least one thread with links in this section of the message board. Do a search on Spiders.

Or - you can look up the song at Wilcobase, and look for links at the bottom of the page when you find a show with that song.

Jak I recommend the April 27, 2002 version for the earliest incarnation, the Sept 2, 2002 and Jan. 12, 2003 shows feature great versions of a slightly different arrangement with Leroy on acoustic and then the Sept. 4, 2003 is the best of the 03, pre Kraut versions. All are available at the owl and bear Wilco live archive.

Jak I recommend the April 27, 2002 version for the earliest incarnation, the Sept 2, 2002 and Jan. 12, 2003 shows feature great versions of a slightly different arrangement with Leroy on acoustic and then the Sept. 4, 2003 is the best of the 03, pre Kraut versions. All are available at the owl and bear Wilco live archive.

Wow! I almost posted something similar to this. I think the earlier versions had the drum intro and then later on it had the opening guitar strum then drumming.

9-4-03 is also worthy of a download. Soundboard quality. Edit: (I'm sorry. I just realized that Mike posted this above. :stunned It's weird that in two successive years around the same time of year are some of the best sounding soundboards out there. Obviously, 9-2-02 is the other one.)

My external hard drive crashed and I lost a lot of my Wilco shows, but they are still on my iPod. I can't comment on the actual differences in arrangement, until my iPod is done charging. I think my memory serves me correct. Just like I think that that April 27th version is from a NY state college without looking at Wilcobase. I feel like there's a few more shows from that era that are widely circulated that we're both forgetting. I have to check my older iPod for that. :stunned

4-21, 5-01 & 6-30 from 2003 are also worth downloading for quite amazing setlists and killer versions of Not For The Season (Laminated Cat) & the A Ghost Is Born songs.

Edit: That other show is the June 21, 2003 show from the Three Arts Festival in Pittsburgh. I remember that one because they opened with a sensational version of Ashes Of American Flags that had a weird combo of a guitar solo with the noise going. I don't seem to recall any other versions like that at that time. The solo reminded me of Sunken Treasure.

Many thanks, mpolak. Very kind of you. I will pull those off the site and give them a listen (but not before I catch Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings tonight!)

Like many of you I suppose, I really enjoy hearing how songs evolved over time - which is why I especially treasure all of the various demos from YHF.

Like many of you I suppose, I really enjoy hearing how songs evolved over time - which is why I especially treasure all of the various demos from YHF.

Then you'll love those shows for sure. Be sure to be on the lookout for the 8 or 9 minute version of At Least That's What You Said (edit: 4-21-03) and the original version of Muzzle Of Bees (any of the 03 shows). Also, Via Chicago sounded quite different live back then.

Another thing that I loved about that 4-21 show was the early version of Handshake Drugs seamlessly going into Not For The Season.

Oh, early versions of Less Than You Think had a definite country twinge to it. Definitely all around a very interesting transitional period.

I recommend this one. That entire recording is one of the best out there.

Well, that's embarrassing! I get home, start to search out the September 4, 2003 show to download....

Only to discover I already have it! I don't think I've ever listened to it top-to-bottom. Certainly don't remember this Kraut-free version of Spiders. Really great stuff.

Well, that's embarrassing! I get home, start to search out the September 4, 2003 show to download....

Only to discover I already have it! I don't think I've ever listened to it top-to-bottom. Certainly don't remember this Kraut-free version of Spiders. Really great stuff.

Are you a Volcano Suns fan by chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npiXD0-S_FY

I recommend this one. That entire recording is one of the best out there.

Yeah, it's one of the best sounding boots out there, the performance is great as well. The 2002 Gibson Guitar Center Rooftop show from Halloween-ish 2002 in Memphis is my favorite live bootleg of theirs but the Eugene show is right up there too.

--Mike

Yeah, it's one of the best sounding boots out there, the performance is great as well. The 2002 Gibson Guitar Center Rooftop show from Halloween-ish 2002 in Memphis is my favorite live bootleg of theirs but the Eugene show is right up there too.

--Mike

The O/B archive doesn't have that one...bummer. That's about as far as I go w/acquiring new live recordings -- the whole torrent thing just doesn't fly on my crummy home computer.