Mine came from Canada yesterday. The pictures do no justice to it. It really is a cool package. I had no idea. I still haven't opened it though. I almost love it to much to touch it if that makes sense. There are a couple of complaints on Amazon about the vinyl having hiss or being warped. Anyone experienced this?

I did listen to BW Presents for the first time in a long time and I liked it more than I was thinking I would. I may have been singing too loud along with it to hear some of the limitations of Brian's voice now. I was really digging the addition lyrics by VDP that I had pretty much forgotten about. Whichever song where Brian goes "sha!" or whatever is just really fun.

I watched the H&V video the band put up and I'm not sure I ever remember that song ending with that added string part. Also, that "we-oo-oo" right before "You're under arrest!" surprised me.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did listen to BW Presents for the first time in a long time and I liked it more than I was thinking I would.

I always liked it. A lot. But listening to it recently, it finally took me away to someplace else, like I always hoped that it would.

Curious to hear the finished BB recordings now, but not enough to drop a shitton of cash.

Not while the Brian Wilson release is so marvelous.

I always liked it. A lot. But listening to it recently, it finally took me away to someplace else, like I always hoped that it would.

Curious to hear the finished BB recordings now, but not enough to drop a shitton of cash.

Not while the Brian Wilson release is so marvelous.

I agree with this. I always thought BWPS was fantastic. I've spent a lot of time with the box this last week but gave BWPS a spin today and for me, it really is the go to Smile. Reasons:

it's finished. Even as good as the BB version is, the last 10 yards or so that they took the ball on this to finish it really make such a difference and that difference really is in the lead vocals on songs that didn't have them. Putting the '66 lyrics onto Worms and creating lyrics for Child, Look, Holidays and dada. You knew all these years that listening the vocal less BB versions that these songs would be great but having the vocals makes such a difference.

It's more organic. The songs for me at least flow so much better. I think it's because they were recorded all at once and not in pieces to be spliced together.

Now, would I prefer Brians voice of 66-67 to 2004? Yes, but its not like his 2004 voice is bad, it just isn't 66. As for not having the rest of the boys, his band is so good its a wash for me. It's crazy how close they get on Our Prayer.

A couple of things have also been clearer to me. Brian wasn't close to having Smile done and if he did whip into shape, what would the rest of the boys done with it live? It's not like they were the Beatles and had collectively decided to stay off the road and give no consideration to being able to play the stuff live. I can't imagine the BB's trying to play this thing live, they'd have an easier time playing Pepper. And to that point, for as touted as pepper was, that was pedestrian compared to what Brian had created.

Also, I think Brian was right, this thing was a little too ahead of its time in 66. When you listen to the instrumental tracks, it was just crazy how advanced this thing was.

Anyway, we have the best of both worlds, a finished Smile and this box. And as for dropping a shit ton of cash. If you ever do it, this is the place.

Loved the Brian Wilson Presents disc when it came out, and I think a few songs Blue Hawaii, Plymouth Rock are on the level or better than the comparable Beach Boys versions (those ones in particular because they were finished). But where I feel the Beach Boys sound really takes over is the middle suite and my favorite part of the album climaxing with Surf's Up. As talented as the Wondermints are, I just can't help but shake the image of the New Mainstreet Singers from Christopher Guest's brilliant A Mighty Wind from my head with them. Everything is so cheery it sounds like a toothpaste commercial. Brian and Carl's voices circa 66-67 are just a little better suited to handle the heavier stuff on the record. And I like the sound of the production on the wrecking Crew stuff a lot more. But this album's fluidity is one it's strengths every listener can make their own "definitive versions." That is part of it's legacy.

I don't know if this is greatest album ever made I don't even know if it's better than Pet Sounds, but there isn't an album I like listening to more than Smile maybe a few I like as much as, but nothing tops it.

--Mike

I've heard it, but I don't own it. You can't beat Hal Blaine's drumming. I would not do this every band, but when it comes to The Beach Boys, I can actually sit and listen to all the out takes and fragments.

Example - Walk On By (on the Friends/20/20 two-fer). It is 55 seconds of good stuff.

But where I feel the Beach Boys sound really takes over is the middle suite and my favorite part of the album climaxing with Surf's Up. As talented as the Wondermints are, I just can't help but shake the image of the New Mainstreet Singers from Christopher Guest's brilliant A Mighty Wind from my head with them. Everything is so cheery it sounds like a toothpaste commercial. Brian and Carl's voices circa 66-67 are just a little better suited to handle the heavier stuff on the record. And I like the sound of the production on the wrecking Crew stuff a lot more. But this album's fluidity is one it's strengths every listener can make their own "definitive versions." That is part of it's legacy.

I don't know if this is greatest album ever made I don't even know if it's better than Pet Sounds, but there isn't an album I like listening to more than Smile maybe a few I like as much as, but nothing tops it.

--Mike

If i am reading you right, you like the BB version of the 2nd movement because you like their vocals better but 2 of songs don't really have vocals, at least a lead vocal. That's why i like BWPS better. The songs that had vocals are still great and the ones that didn't got finished.

My stance up until 2004 was that PS was the best record ever released but what we had from smile was better. IMO, the finished version topped what we had, therefore BWPS = greatest album ever. I agree, i never get tired hearing it.

I've heard it, but I don't own it. You can't beat Hal Blaine's drumming. I would not do this every band, but when it comes to The Beach Boys, I can actually sit and listen to all the out takes and fragments.

Example - Walk On By (on the Friends/20/20 two-fer). It is 55 seconds of good stuff.

I agree about the sessions, there isn't a group that i have ever come close to listening to this amount of outtakes. As for your comment above about liking what you like, i agree but i don't think you're giving 2004 it's due. His band is unreal and do an amazing job on the tracks, on par with the wrecking crew, its almost hard to distinguish. They are all really good musicians. When you add the vocals and its completion/sequencing, that's what i like about it and why i enjoy it. I will say that i prefer the version of vega tables on the box, they threw everything but the sink in on that one.

As for Hal Blaine, i was surprised reading the liner notes of the box that jim gordon played drums on a lot of those sessions, maybe more than hal.

a.) Clean is the right word for BWPS for me too, but I prefer just about the way everything recorded in 65-68 sounds over Pro-Tools/Garage Band so I bring my own set of biases.

b.) I don't want to bag on Brian and the backing band too much, they're great, they're the closest thing to he can get to this sound. But they still aren't quite this sound for me. I like the Child is the Father of the Man section better actually without the extra lyrics, Surf's Up and Wonderful would be the two cuts for me that I think sound significantly better on the Beach Boys version.

c.) My favorite little part of the whole album is when everything drops out but the piano for those solo bars on Wind Chimes and everything comes back in.

--Mike

Right now i have Good Vibrations running through my brain. I was actually more interested in the second disc than the first disc of the two-disc set; it appeals to my anal-retentive nature. I'm fairly certain if time and money was unlimited that I would enjoy the pet sounds sessions immensely.

I'm fairly certain if time and money was unlimited that I would enjoy the pet sounds sessions immensely.

You would, no doubt. Not sure about needing unlimited time as its only really a disk and a half of sessions but you would spend a lot of time with those disks.

• 4 weeks later...

Brian Wilson to reunite and tour with the Beach Boys:

Hollywood, California – December 16, 2011 – The founding members of The Beach Boys, one of the world's most legendary bands in popular music history, will reunite for a global 50th Anniversary CELEBRATION in 2012. Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks will come together for a new studio album and commemorative catalog releases with Capitol/EMI and a 50-date international tour to begin in April with a headlining performance at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival ("Jazz Fest") as well as other exciting events to be announced.

http://www.thebeachboys.com/reunion/index.html

That news sort of came out a while back - when one of them was talking about doing promo spots for an anniversary tour. I'd go if I had the chance.

I guess David Marks is happy.

I wonder what the re-re-re-re-leases are going to be? I've already bought all of them 3 or 4 times.

I didn't know John Cowsill was playing in the band.

Mike Love: Beach Boys Reunion Will Be Amazing

The Beach Boys are set to reunite with a new album and tour to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary, and member Mike Love says being in the studio again has been "thrilling."

"I'm looking forward to getting together with Brian, writing something together again," Love told Rolling Stone. "His musical nature is so phenomenal. Even doing the background vocals we did in the studio recently, he was just sitting at the piano and stretching those chords the way he does spontaneously. It's just amazing."

Wilson has enjoyed a productive period in recent years, releasing a re-recorded version of "SMiLE" in 2004, tributes to Gershwin and Disney and several albums of new original material. According to Love, Wilson's current band will be joining the reunited Beach Boys on the road.

"Brian Wilson has an incredible band. We're using most of his band. And we've got [current Beach Boys touring] drummer John Cowsill and our guitarist, Scott Totten. We're kind of blending things together. I think, musically, it's going to be incredible," Love said.

He said that they've "not done much" on a new album yet and are in the planning stages of a tour that will begin with the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Fest in April.

"The idea is to do four or five shows a week" before heading to Europe, Love said. "I'm hoping that we'll do places associated with summer."

And as for group's past difficulties, Love says after 50 years, they're ready for "Fun, Fun, Fun" all over again.

"A lot of the ups and downs were as the result of other people's incursions, I would say, whether it be a Murry Wilson or a Dr. Landy, you know. Everybody's getting along great," he told Rolling Stone.

"Brian Wilson has an incredible band. We're using most of his band. And we've got [current Beach Boys touring] drummer John Cowsill and our guitarist, Scott Totten. We're kind of blending things together. I think, musically, it's going to be incredible," Love said."

This to me is the best decision they could have made. Brian has been trotting out these hits for the last 13 years so the fact that Mike Bruce and Al will be there doesn't make much of a difference to me but at least his band will be there and as nostalgia trips go, this will be kinda cool.