Just got the vinyl package on my porch and love it. I had assembled the Sea of Tunes sets in the mid 90's, bought Brian's version a couple of years ago, but the vinyl kind of brings it back to what I would like to think would have come out in the fall of 66 or 67 or whenever it was due. I have been waiting for this for years. I think Brian is a genius, but what I hear on the vinyl is a guy who laid it all on the line and to see the fruits of his labor come out is, for lack of a better word,, is cool. Listening to Brian unravel on vinyl is like looking at a photgraph of a family that was killed in a car wreck on their way home from a family reunion. After this album there was some great insight to Brian, Busy Doin Nothin is amazing. It captures Brian so well it makes me sad I can't hear it again for the first time.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think it will as long as Brian stays on his the right (i.e. legal) meds.

LouieB

• 2 months later...

New song - That's Why God Made The Radio.

Setlist from last night's show in Arizona:

First Set

Do It Again

Catch A Wave

Don't Back Down

Surfin' Safari

Surfer Girl

The Little Girl I Once Knew

Wendy

Then I Kissed Her

This Whole World

Why Do Fools Fall in Love

(Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers cover)

When I Grow Up

You're So Good to Me

Cottonfields

Be True to Your School

Disney Girls

Please Let Me Wonder

Don't Worry Baby

Little Honda

Little Deuce Coupe

Shut Down

I Get Around

Second Set

Sloop John B

Wouldn't It Be Nice

Forever

Sail on, Sailor

Heroes and Villains

In My Room

All This Is That

God Only Knows

That's Why God Made the Radio

California Dreamin'

California Girls

Dance, Dance, Dance

All Summer Long

Help Me, Rhonda

Do You Wanna Dance?

(Bobby Freeman cover)

Barbara Ann

(The Regents cover)

Surfin' USA

Encore:

Kokomo

Good Vibrations

Fun, Fun, Fun

I know I am in the minority here (at least in this thread), but the idea of a bunch of guys even older than me singing a bunch of songs about girls, cars, surfing and partying (and growing up...!!!) seems ridiculous. I know this is a wonderful nostalgic event but I wouldn't go near it either, not even with Brian sitting in.

LouieB

I know I am in the minority here (at least in this thread), but the idea of a bunch of guys even older than me singing a bunch of songs about girls, cars, surfing and partying (and growing up...!!!) seems ridiculous. I know this is a wonderful nostalgic event but I wouldn't go near it either, not even with Brian sitting in.

LouieB

I am with you. Sounds awful to me too. The Grammy performance is really what made me realize that...

I am with you. Sounds awful to me too. The Grammy performance is really what made me realize that...

While I agree that the Grammy performance was pretty lackluster, I don't think it's fair to use that performance as a measuring stick against how good they might be in a real concert. Bands don't usually sounds very good on tv, especially on a show like the Grammies, where the stage is being reset every five minutes.

I'm not going to go to their concert, but I'll bet their show will be a fun time and will sound good.

I suppose if someone gave me a ticket I would go though.....

Is it safe to assume that there is a whole section of hired hands to make them sound good? (Not unlike just about every record they ever made?)

LouieB

I suppose if someone gave me a ticket I would go though.....

Is it safe to assume that there is a whole section of hired hands to make them sound good? (Not unlike just about every record they ever made?)

LouieB

Here's a review of the Tucson show from the LA Times. I have to say that I'm with Lou on this one. I'd go if somebody gave me a free ticket, but otherwise the only place I would even consider buying a ticket is for a SoCal show (where there might be something cool about hearing those songs in that setting).

But yeah, it sounds like Brian Wilson is pretty detached and, frankly, it's just kind of sad to me to see him on stage these days. He barely plays anything and seems confused at times. From that review, it sounds like they do have quite the supporting cast of musicians playing with them and helping flush out the songs (and apparently, covering up when need be). I don't think it's the Wondermints, though, who were great supporting Wilson on the Smile tour a few years back. Anyway, I know some people are excited about this tour but I just can't buy in. And I wonder how the shows will be toward the end of such a lengthy run...in terms of how those guys will hold up being on the road for five months. :unsure

I bought tickets to their date at Merriweather so that I can take my 9-year-old son. It'll be his first concert, and he loves the Beach Boys. I'm not sure what he'll think about old geezers singing songs about teenage love and cars.

Would a 9 year old know the difference between a 20 year old singing those songs and an old geezer singing them?

Would a 9 year old know the difference between a 20 year old singing those songs and an old geezer singing them?

Yea, he probably can't tell the difference. The Beach Boys music is geared towards his age group anyway. Always was and always will be. I am sure he will have a ball.

The review is a good one. Actually it sounds like a Beach Boys tribute show with a few of the old Beach Boys sitting in. I have felt badly for Brian for a long time (who doesn't). Mental illness is a terrible thing to endure and more difficult when trotted out so publically.

LouieB

new single is atrocious.

it makes the lyrics to Barnyard and Vegetables sound deep.

the estate of Nikola Tesla should sue them

Who wrote it. Both those songs on Smile tarnish the album.

But let's be honest. Depth was rarely the BB strong point. They didn't sell depth in fact in general they sold shallow.

LouieB

Who wrote it. Both those songs on Smile tarnish the album.

But let's be honest. Depth was rarely the BB strong point. They didn't sell depth in fact in general they sold shallow.

LouieB

true... but have you listened to this new song? my GOD it's pure dreck :yucky

true... but have you listened to this new song? my GOD it's pure dreck :yucky

Uh, no. I am sure it will cross my path on some radio station someday.

Some musicians need to simply stick to the old stuff. Being more of a senior than not, it is a sad fact that artists lose their chops as they get older. I am sure not a single member of the audience at any one of these shows is the least bit interested in either hearing a new BB song at a show or buying a new BB record. Obviously interest was high for the original Smile, but that was all material recorded 40 some years ago. the last time the BB had a hit was Kokomo and I thought it sucked back when it came out.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that one is worth seeking out, but it's hard to find. Another 80's title that sadly went out of print. I also highly recommend Domenic Priore's book on the Smile sessions and Charles L. Granata's book about Pet Sounds, if you're interested in those specific records.

I grabbed that Smile back recently. I have always appreciated Priore’s enthusiasm, but I don’t agree with the way he separates Brian from the rest of the band. It took all those voices to sing what Brian created. At least that is the way I look at it.

That passage towards the end where Brian calls Van Dyke out of the blue and asks him about the lyrics is something else.

With all this Beach Boys talk going on, I recently realized I have been listening to the band for about 36 years now.

• 4 months later...

Who had September 26th in the "which day will Mike Love fuck everything up?" pool: http://www.dailymail...-Mike-Love.html

You just can't make this stuff up. All the signs and evidence pointed towards Mike being a monumental, world class asshole. You heard him plead his case over the years, you knew it smelled but you wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, then he does this. Case closed.

And why Brian or Al would have any interest in being reinstated is beyond me. All they need to do is point their fingers and say, see, we told you, and be done with him.

At least they were on good enough terms long enough to get the Smile box out.