Got to meet him very briefly backstage once in BOS in early 90s. The man was short. Not enough vegetables, likely.

HAHAHA! That all meat diet, don't know what to say about that!

I think it is safe to say the psychedelic sixties would have had trouble taking off without Bear.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me Bear's voice sounds a bit like Garcia's.

Also I guess The Grateful Dead Movie will be played in theaters throughout the U.S. on April 20th. Details at Dead.net.

Never saw it in the theaters. Last year I was able to catch the Stones Ladies and Gentlemen in a theater, now the Grateful Dead movie.

Also which other CD's was Bear involved in, other than the Dead? I swore I had one or two but I can't find them. I thought it was the recent Moby Grape live release, but his name does appear on the liner notes.

Bear's Album Page

Besides the Dead stuff, I don't have any of the others. I guess I don't have any of his.

Edited by calvino

I am not sure, but I don't think he had updated that site in years. I think some of the recent Jefferson Airplane live cds that have came out in recent years were made from his tapes. Plus, there are tracks on some of the recent GD box sets from his tapes.

Looks like Bob is spending some bucks on this project:

Bob Weir’s Tamalpais Research Institute

In the current issue of Relix, Bob Weir explains that is in the final stages of completing a new performance studio. That studio, the Tamalpais Research Institute, is designed for “broadcasting live HD video and audio streams directly to the Internet.” Fans can a look at what may be in store over the coming months, as Weir himself appears at the TRI Studios site to offer an introduction. As images on the site also indicate he has been rehearsing with the Marin Symphony Orchestra at the facility.

As for the future of TRI, he tells Relix, “One of the shows I want to do there is RatDog. I want to get all or at least most of the guys who are still alive who played with RatDog and do a retrospective. In so doing we’ll probably make a DVD and a record. I’ve got unfinished business with that outfit.”

Looks like Bob is spending some bucks on this project:

Bob Weir’s Tamalpais Research Institute

Thanks for the link. I haven't heard about this, it sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder if it going to be subscription type thing? It appears that Weir wiped out on his bike again (scrape on his elbow). It's a bit funny that Journey already played/rehearsed there.

Also which other CD's was Bear involved in, other than the Dead? I swore I had one or two but I can't find them. I thought it was the recent Moby Grape live release, but his name does appear on the liner notes.

Bear's Album Page

Besides the Dead stuff, I don't have any of the others. I guess I don't have any of his.

I'm pretty sure he recorded Gram Parson Archives Vol One : Live at the Avalon Ballroom when the Flying Burrito Brothers were opening for the Dead

I always got a kick out of the "Chiclets" guy in the front row....

That "The Music Never Stopped" movie was in an independent theatre here for a week or two. I thought it'd be around longer so I missed it. Anybody here seen it?

I don't think I have ever seen the re-released version. I just have the version that was released on VHS years ago. Although I guess I have seen some clips on Youtube.

I always got a kick out of the "Chiclets" guy in the front row....

That "The Music Never Stopped" movie was in an independent theatre here for a week or two. I thought it'd be around longer so I missed it. Anybody here seen it?

I saw TMNS. It is kitchy and sentimental but has a really fine performance by JK Simmons and when I heard the music in the context of the story, well... I got pretty forgiving of the sentiment. Apparently it's based on a case study by Oliver Sacks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to go see the movie next Wednesday. It would be cool to see the dancing girl in the U.S. Blues sequence up there on the big screen.

Did anyone catch the movie? Tickets were slightly more expensive than standard films, $12.50 here, but it was well worth the 20 minute drive and ticket price. I've never watched the movie before and enjoyed it beyond words. My only complaint is that He's Gone was listed during the credits but was not played during the film. Ah, well. However, thanks to that rad opening sequence, I am now a fan of U.S. Blues :music

Edit- Yes, Analogman, it was nice seeing the dancing girl up there, haha. I also think I developed a small crush on Donna.

I didn't make it to the movie. Glad you had a good time, HungryHippo.

Only a spacey instrumental jam part of He's Gone was in the film. It was the music right after the nitrous scene and before Morning Dew. I only know this because it is in the DVD credits; I could see why one would thought He's Gone was not played.

The 2 DVD Remaster of the Movie is really good. Lots of great extras.

Did anyone catch the movie? Tickets were slightly more expensive than standard films, $12.50 here, but it was well worth the 20 minute drive and ticket price. I've never watched the movie before and enjoyed it beyond words. My only complaint is that He's Gone was listed during the credits but was not played during the film. Ah, well. However, thanks to that rad opening sequence, I am now a fan of U.S. Blues :music

Edit- Yes, Analogman, it was nice seeing the dancing girl up there, haha. I also think I developed a small crush on Donna.

I sometimes wonder where she is now. Such a short flash on her, but I dig the headscarf and her dress. I sort of remember when teenage girls looked like that. The good old days.

I saw that earlier today. I guess it is not as wide spread as it was the first time around. It's not playing here.

The oldest movie theater (an original Warner Bros. theater) here where I live is now closed. I would like to open it and run rock and roll films.

Yeah - it's not playing at the same theater that I was going to see it at on 20th, but there is still plenty of theaters in the Chicago area that are carrying it.

Seeing rock movies in theaters is a pretty cool experience, my first rock show in a theater was the Stones' Let's Spend The Night Together.

On another note it the 40th Anniversary of their April Filmore East run - listened to Ladies and Gentleman's disc 3 today.