• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: I kind of stopped listening to the GD a few years back, but remember that someone found a bunch of keith godchaux's (i think) tapes from the late '71 tour that no one had ever heard. did those ever get released at any level?

Below is one of them - not sure if others were released. I never did get this release - 71 is one of my favorite Dead years.

http://www.deaddisc....cks_Pick_35.htm

Dick's Picks, Volume Thirty Five

Grateful Dead

Initial release : June 2005

Grateful Dead Records

A 4 CD set of the complete show from 7 August 1971 in San Diego, all that was salvageable of the 24 August, 1971 show in Chicago, and over an hour from the 6 August, 1971 show at the Hollywood Palladium.

There are four video clips in the link above. I'm listening to the China Cat/Rider right now and it's pretty good. They've got a trumpet in the mix which is cool.

although you can't really hear Bob, "daughters of the soho riots" is really good.

I broke down a couple of weeks ago and bought a smart phone. Has anyone noticed that through SoundHound, you can hold your phone up to almost any live GD show and it'll tell you what show it is? So far, it has only been wrong once out of the 5 or so times I've tried it. It mistaked Philly '89's 'Ramble on Rose' for Europe '72. Don't know how practical this is but it is neat regardless.

Btw, that video above is genius!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, for those of us who will eventually be accruing the Europe 72 shows disc by disc, do you have any recommendations on where to start? Or should I just collect chronologically?

Just wondering by what date you will have worked your way through all the shows?

i was hoping to finish them up by this friday, but i am still going through dick's picks 35, so i really have no idea when that'll happen.

I got the Europe box-set last August and I just listened to the last show a couple of weeks ago. I did listen to them chronologically.

It took me a lot longer than I expected it to.

Actually, for those of us who will eventually be accruing the Europe 72 shows disc by disc, do you have any recommendations on where to start? Or should I just collect chronologically?

well they're all pretty good. 5-7-72 looks, to me, to be the most interesting. most shows get a Dark Star or The Other One, but this one has both.

ps - i'm starting 4/7/72 right now. it does sound pretty damn good.

pps - i've been listening to some '71 stuff lately, and didn't realize how much donna messed stuff up.

I got the Europe box-set last August and I just listened to the last show a couple of weeks ago. I did listen to them chronologically.

It took me a lot longer than I expected it to.

It's over 70 hrs of music. Seems about right......

Currently reading Blair Jackson's bio on Garcia (which is a nice read, even with all the stuff already written about Garcia and the Dead) and its got me feeling really appreciative and sentimental about GD music. I listened to American Beauty this AM and when Box of Rain and Truckin' came on I was just grinning like a fool at all the classic lines and thinking about what they really signify. I had a flash of all the smiling faces you'd see at a show when the whole damn place was singing "what a long strange trip its been!".

Its easy for me to let that music go in one ear and out the other without really paying attention since I've heard them so many times and they are beyond familiar to me. But when I listen with a fresh mind, I find that joy all over again and it reminds me why the Dead were my favorite band for so many years, what a wonderful thing to remember!

I also reread Mikal Gilmore's awesome liner notes to the Postcards From The Hanging CD. What a fantastic essay about the importance and brilliance of the music of Dylan and the Dead. Check it out if you haven't in awhile...