The Jackson bio is very well done and was one of the first 9maybe even the first) to come out after JG's death. I haven't read it since then and might need to dive back in. There are (or at least used to be) outtakes from the original manuscript that got trimmed by Jackson's publisher available on Blair's website.....

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the Europe box-set last August and I just listened to the last show a couple of weeks ago. I did listen to them chronologically.

It took me a lot longer than I expected it to.

That's about what I would have figured. I didn't get it, wonder whether I would ever have made it through all the shows.

Currently reading Blair Jackson's bio on Garcia (which is a nice read, even with all the stuff already written about Garcia and the Dead) and its got me feeling really appreciative and sentimental about GD music. I listened to American Beauty this AM and when Box of Rain and Truckin' came on I was just grinning like a fool at all the classic lines and thinking about what they really signify. I had a flash of all the smiling faces you'd see at a show when the whole damn place was singing "what a long strange trip its been!".

Its easy for me to let that music go in one ear and out the other without really paying attention since I've heard them so many times and they are beyond familiar to me. But when I listen with a fresh mind, I find that joy all over again and it reminds me why the Dead were my favorite band for so many years, what a wonderful thing to remember!

Vert well said! I recently bought a couple of the MoFi vinyl releases, Wake and Live Dead, and I too have been reminded!

The Jackson bio is very well done and was one of the first 9maybe even the first) to come out after JG's death. I haven't read it since then and might need to dive back in. There are (or at least used to be) outtakes from the original manuscript that got trimmed by Jackson's publisher available on Blair's website.....

read that bio twice. such a great book. Phil's autobio was excellent as well.

I thought Phil's book was a bit lacking and I don't think I ever read Jackson's book cover to cover - just bits and pieces while browsing. Definitely should read it through and through,

Thanks, Lammycat,for the outtakes link - didn't realize he had a site that covers the book.

Ordered Vol. 2 this a.m. - I guess its good that Vol. 1 sold out and Vol. 2 is selling well, too.

Weir's interview was pretty entertaining - "I thought I was president".

Definitely will be seeing Furthur this summer in Chicago, for the first time. Haven't had the urge to see them, before, but looking forward to it, now.

The venue they are playing is right on the lakefront - nice place to see a show. Must admit the ticket price bugs me a bit, but it is what it is.

When I was listening to that show, I could not help but think of the Bill/Donna/Bob interviews on the GD Movie dvd were they talk about the wall of sound microphone set-up.

Can't remember, were they talking about how they were constantly getting shocked or how they had always sing directly and perfectly into the microphones.

I can't remember if I copy of the 7/31/74 show or not.

IIRC they had 2 sets of The Wall so the crew could get a jump on the next show (on back-back nights in different cities) to set up due to how long it took to break down/set up.....

http://archive.org/details/gd91-05-03.sbd.ladner.8831.sbeok.shnf

I'm not usually a fan of Vince Welnick-only shows, but this one has a very good Let It Grow with Jerry playing very articulate and speedy runs. There is something great about Garcia soloing away on the better Bobby tunes (the ones with space for jamming, like Lazy Lightning, Let It Grow, Saint of Circumstance, Cassidy, etc)

Got other favorite versions of Let It Grow? Personally, I find the vocals on the '73 and '74 versions a bit off-putting, although I do like having the full Weather Report Suite. I think Let It Grow really blossomed into a powerhouse in the 80s.

http://archive.org/d...8831.sbeok.shnf

I'm not usually a fan of Vince Welnick-only shows, but this one has a very good Let It Grow with Jerry playing very articulate and speedy runs. There is something great about Garcia soloing away on the better Bobby tunes (the ones with space for jamming, like Lazy Lightning, Let It Grow, Saint of Circumstance, Cassidy, etc)

Got other favorite versions of Let It Grow? Personally, I find the vocals on the '73 and '74 versions a bit off-putting, although I do like having the full Weather Report Suite. I think Let It Grow really blossomed into a powerhouse in the 80s.

Check out the Let It Grow from Dekalb 10/29/77. Its a smoker!

http://archive.org/d...8831.sbeok.shnf

west coast vince-era shows sound a bit better to my ears than the majority of the rest. seem more mellow. as for let it grow, i really don't care for the studio version or the earlier versions. i think it really came to the fore when garcia got the midi trumpet on it. the one on without a net is superb! that song could sure be a train wreck in the latter days :-)

Anybody make it to the Alpine movie last night? I couldn't make it.

I took my friend to see the movie and we had a great time. I was a little worried about how much she would like it being that she's only familiar with American Beauty and Workingman's Dead but she seemed to really get into it. The highlight of the evening was the Sugar Magnolia> Scarlet Begonias. After Sunshine Daydream, the theater lights came on and the credits started rolling. Everyone remained seated as the guy behind us shouted, "Where's Quinn?!"