• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall reading somewhere once that Mickey described what he and Billy did as "chasing air" or something like that. I often think of that when I am listening to The Eleven. I am listening to the 6/21/1969 show - which made me think of his quote. The drumming is just spectacular.

The one about Dick Latava is sad. Denial really screwed that band.

The one about acoustic shows is great. I rather like it when Bob sang Dire Wolf.

In the article about Dick Latava, it mentioned in the first three shows that he suggested for release was the 10/11/77 show from Norman, OK. I had received this show in a trade about seven or eight years ago and even to this day, it's one of my favorite shows. The energy on this show and the songs on the setlist are excellent. There were portions of this show released on an early Road Trips, but it really does deserve a full release.

The one about acoustic shows is great. I rather like it when Bob sang Dire Wolf.

Haven't seen that one yet but the one of Rob Eaton getting a hold of over 200 reels of Betty boards is really cool. BTW, besides his work in DSO, check out his American Beauty band if you get a chance.....

10/11/1977 is a great show. I have always loved the 10.15.1977 show from Dallas. Unlike most of the 1977 shows, this show was really loose at the seams and not super-tight. There is a very drippy Terrapin > St. Stephen with a very deep and well jammed St. Stephen jam (the climax is amazing) that goes into a well jammed NFA. This goes into one of the finest stellas I've heard (cf, 8.22.1972?, 9.7.1973?, 6.18.1974?) that has a tear jerking finale (also check out the transition from NFA to Stella). The set ends with a hats off jammed Sugar Magnolia. The encore is Truckin > OMSNight....

thumb.large.image.5777.ngwmfsfd.jpg

Haven't seen that one yet but the one of Rob Eaton getting a hold of over 200 reels of Betty boards is really cool. BTW, besides his work in DSO, check out his American Beauty band if you get a chance.....

I have not read that yet.

I take it he got access from someone who bought the tapes at the auction.

There is a long story about all of that in the Taper's book.

I have not read that yet.

I take it he got access from someone who bought the tapes at the auction.

There is a long story about all of that in the Taper's book.

Yeah, pretty much. The guy who had the reels did not keep them in good condition, tried to get a million buck for them from GDM (they said fuck off) and Eaton offered to clean the reels up (Latvala helped) and was savvy enough to put them all onto dats.

I think someone talks about that guy in the Taper's book.

The real shame is the formats they used - VHS, cassette, and DAT.

Of course, that is what was how it was at the time.

I would have made copies on reel to reel tape - and then turned the original tapes over to the band.

Of course, by that time reel to reel machines were no longer common. And you can't walk around with one if you want to listen to music.

10/11/1977 is a great show. I have always loved the 10.15.1977 show from Dallas. Unlike most of the 1977 shows, this show was really loose at the seams and not super-tight. There is a very drippy Terrapin > St. Stephen with a very deep and well jammed St. Stephen jam (the climax is amazing) that goes into a well jammed NFA. This goes into one of the finest stellas I've heard (cf, 8.22.1972?, 9.7.1973?, 6.18.1974?) that has a tear jerking finale (also check out the transition from NFA to Stella). The set ends with a hats off jammed Sugar Magnolia. The encore is Truckin > OMSNight....

thumb.large.image.5777.ngwmfsfd.jpg

Terrapin into St. Stephen? Never seen that combo before, gonna have to check that show out, rest of it sounds like the tits as well.

That Dead Essays site is some of the best and most exhaustive writing/research on the Dead out there, including published books. Really excellent source.

What do you mean, Analogman? The only sad stuff I read in that essay (which was highly revealing of stuff I had no idea about) was that the Dead apparently made Dick do menial work for many years and didn't pay him all that much. I'm sure he would've like to get paid more, but he was doing his dream job: getting paid to sit around all day, get stoned and listen to Dead shows. Its what he was doing anyway and then all of the sudden they decide to pay him for it. Of course, he had the apparently endless headaches of trying to deal with all the obstacles to getting the shows out that he wanted to put out and many years of the menial work but still, there was a lot of upside to that gig.

But what did you mean about the denial comment? I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm curious as to what specifically you are referring to?

I am kinda curious if any of the "older" Heads ever met Dick Latava - I am not sure if he made it out to many shows. I never met him, but I haven't seen nearly the amount of shows that some on this board had.

He definitely seemed like an interesting guy.

He did seem under-appreciated, but I think that goes with the mentality of the Dead and their organization, from what I have read over the years.

Sorry if I touched on a sensitive topic, Analogman. I'm perfectly OK with disagreements, not sure why that would make you not want to discuss something, though? Maybe something about sobriety or the Dead scene and drug use? No need to talk about something you aren't comfortable with, but I didn't really take a position one way or the other, so I'm not sure what you think we are disagreeing about? I'm confused, but that's alright. I just enjoy the conversation and you seem to have a lot of knowledge and insight, so I hope I didn't put you off in some way. I didn't say Dick's job was a dream job for me, I said it was a dream job for him and that really came from quotes he made in that article. I try not to pass judgement on that stuff, but that in itself may be something you disagree with? I'd still like to hear your thoughts, though, if you change your mind. Carry on!

Buddy of mine who worked for Rykodisc in Boston in the mid-late 90s and met Dick at a Ryko function one night. Said he was pretty blazed out but a nice guy to chat with. That's all I've got on that. I've been to a good chunk of shows and never saw him. Did meet Owlsey once very briefly backstage (Boston, as well), though.

If you are referring to my question A-Man, I will withdraw it. :lol

In music news I did receive Dave' Pick Vol 2 yesterday and look forward to listening to it tomorrow.

OK, back to the music, then. Did I mention the killer Shakedown Street from 6-30-85? It smokes! :rock

http://archive.org/d...92.sbeok.flac16

A Charlie Miller, to boot! Yeah the Keep on Growing, too. This summer saw Garcia starting to gain some serious weight and his vocals started to get really strained . The music was really good but as I remember this was the beginning of a real notice of health issues with Garcia that culminated in the coma.