The Eugene June, 90 shows were great. I remember getting those tapes, probably over Xmas break in 90. Haven't listen to them in awhile - now listening to the 6/23/90 show - great first set.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just read in Rolling Stone that they are releasing 1000's of Owsley "Bear" Stanley recordings that have been sitting in a vault all this time. Everything from the Dead to Jefferson Airplane, Janis, Miles Davis, Johnny Cash. Anybody know anything about this? Are these new and previously unavailable shows? Curious to see what comes out of this.

That would be great. Hopefully his family can make some money off of it.

did y'all have that one kind of shady dude in your town that somehow had 100s of SBDs and was at every show? we did. also a guy in college. after undergrad i toured in a local jamband and we became friends with an actual taper. he camped with us at a bunch of phish shows. we thought we were so cool listening to that night's show just 2 hours after it ended. ah, the days.

Yeah, I knew that guy, he was from Virginia and had moved to Nor Cal to see more shows, didn't work, lived off a trust fund, drove a BMW, had a bomb stereo, smoked the dank all day long and knew someone who knew someone in the Dead office and got the sweet low gen SBDs. I didn't really like him, he was kind of a mean person, but I hung out with him as little as possible, just enough to get copies of his tapes. That sounds awful, but I suppose one did what one had to if you wanted the tapes badly enough. I also knew plenty of good people I went to shows with and shared tapes with, too, I'm making it sound worse than it was.

I see Chris Robinson is playing shows with Phil again. I'd like to see one of those.

he's also doing an acoustic thing with weir as well has has two albums coming out with the Brotherhood. this seems interesting.

Yes. Caught the Weir, Robinson, Jackie Greene trio last summer and they were excellent. Excellent. They're doing 3 shows around here in a month or so and looking to catch them again. The Brotherhood coming too. Never seen him with that outfit but it looks worth it.

I was fortunate to be at the 9-20-90 show, sitting about 13th row dead center. I saw a good number of GD shows going back to '74, and that second set was the the single best set I ever saw live. Or maybe equal to 8-6-74 Roosevelt Stadium second set, but you get my drift. Big chunks of that September '90 MSG run, including most of 9-20 second set, is available as a Road Trips release.

You are a lucky dude. That show f*%#in' rips! I listened to the first set last night for the first time in many years and it was hot hot hot! Talk about being inspired, they were on fire from the get-go, with Phil dropping bombs and Hornsby pounding the keys in a strongly jammed Feel Like A Stranger right into an equally strong Althea. But the Its All Over Now is just over the top, with Bob singing great and the whole band clearly pumped and ready to rock. Even Vince had a great 'organ" solo, followed by an even better Bruce solo. Waaay rocking! When Jerry's first set tunes are Althea, Ramble On Rose, Brown Eyed Women and US Blues, I'm pretty happy and these are all really strong versions, particularly the Ramble On with Jerry kicking in his MIDI "trumpet" for one solo. Bob does his part keeping the set interesting with the upbeat tunes to start and then El Paso and a rocking Greatest Story near the end of the set, crazy! Not that I don't love a sweet Jerry ballad, but a first set that is all upbeat (except El Paso which isn't exactly a slow ballad, either) its a real treat and you know they are in a rare mood. The stars aligned on this night or somethin' was going on. I didn't even get to set II and the perma-grin was setting in. Wow! I'm definitely gonna get the Road Trips, my tape doesn't sound as good as I remember, a few too many gens and too much tape hiss. Can't wait to hear this one cleaned up.

Edit: Sadly the Road Trips is just the second set plus some of the second set from the night before, (which are both prime, obviously) but still a bummer to not have this killer first set in pristine quality. Anybody know what was on/have the bonus disc?

Yes. Caught the Weir, Robinson, Jackie Greene trio last summer and they were excellent. Excellent. They're doing 3 shows around here in a month or so and looking to catch them again. The Brotherhood coming too. Never seen him with that outfit but it looks worth it.

Trigger Hippy has an album coming out this year also.

Never was a big Black Crowes fan, though their live shows were fun in a derivative-Allman's southern rock kind of way. Really enjoyed youtubes I've seen of Chris's new band. A 70's cosmic cowboy Jerry band feel. Cover some great Dead related material, with Neal Casal really ripping it up on the guitar. Chris does a nice job with vocals on Dead tunes, whether playing with his band or Phil. Haven't heard the trio with Weir.

When Jerry's first set tunes are Althea, Ramble On Rose, Brown Eyed Women and US Blues, I'm pretty happy and these are all really strong versions, particularly the Ramble On with Jerry kicking in his MIDI "trumpet" for one solo.

Saw a show at Richfield in fall 93 where Jerry did the midi trumpet during Ramble on Rose. Tripping my face off, and that trumpet sound was bouncing around the arena. Great show, even the Corrina was wicked. And I called the Bertha set closer, a rarity as a closer in those days. Guess I was feeling it:

http://archive.org/details/gd93-09-10.dsbd.miller.28782.sbeok.flacf

Never was a big Black Crowes fan, though their live shows were fun in a derivative-Allman's southern rock kind of way. Really enjoyed youtubes I've seen of Chris's new band. A 70's cosmic cowboy Jerry band feel. Cover some great Dead related material, with Neal Casal really ripping it up on the guitar. Chris does a nice job with vocals on Dead tunes, whether playing with his band or Phil. Haven't heard the trio with Weir.

I'm a huge Crowes fan, so I hate to see someone call the Crowes "derivative Allmans southern rock" when I think they are so much more than that. That may have been true in their early years, but if you listened to their live shows in 2005-2010, you might change your mind. They played an impressively diverse bunch of classic rock and roots-based songs in those years. At their Fillmore shows in 2008 and 2009, Phil Lesh came out and they did a handful of Dead songs like Loose Lucy, Sugaree, New Speedway Boogie, Deal, & Cold Rain and Snow. The best for me was Rich taking the lead vocal on To Lay Me Down.

Yeah, I knew that guy, he was from Virginia and had moved to Nor Cal to see more shows, didn't work, lived off a trust fund, drove a BMW, had a bomb stereo, smoked the dank all day long and knew someone who knew someone in the Dead office and got the sweet low gen SBDs. I didn't really like him, he was kind of a mean person, but I hung out with him as little as possible, just enough to get copies of his tapes. That sounds awful, but I suppose one did what one had to if you wanted the tapes badly enough. I also knew plenty of good people I went to shows with and shared tapes with, too, I'm making it sound worse than it was.

the dreaded trustafarian.

cant find a meaner animal in this world. cocky as hell but they always get humbled in the end

I'm a huge Crowes fan, so I hate to see someone call the Crowes "derivative Allmans southern rock" when I think they are so much more than that. That may have been true in their early years, but if you listened to their live shows in 2005-2010, you might change your mind. They played an impressively diverse bunch of classic rock and roots-based songs in those years. At their Fillmore shows in 2008 and 2009, Phil Lesh came out and they did a handful of Dead songs like Loose Lucy, Sugaree, New Speedway Boogie, Deal, & Cold Rain and Snow. The best for me was Rich taking the lead vocal on To Lay Me Down.

I'm a picky motherfucker. Don't hate the Crowes, just don't love them.

Saw a show at Richfield in fall 93 where Jerry did the midi trumpet during Ramble on Rose. Tripping my face off, and that trumpet sound was bouncing around the arena. Great show, even the Corrina was wicked. And I called the Bertha set closer, a rarity as a closer in those days. Guess I was feeling it:

http://archive.org/d...782.sbeok.flacf

is this chris rhodes (sp?) ?? {there was a friend of friend who's reaction to that ramble on rose was kind of legendary}

anyway, that was a really fun show for me. i had had a nasty ear infection and it totally cleared up for that show. i could hear again!! that ramble on rose was classic. UJB had a crazy jam as well. also, jerry was playing his new guitar and it sounded almost acoustic. damn, there was nothing like fall tour shows in the midwest. cool air, sweaters, falling leaves, new tapes from summer tour. good times. miss it every fall.

i'm not a huge crowes fan either. i loved southern harmony, but then lost interest. their last actual album was good. i like the direction they are/were going. i love neal casel and this brotherhood stuff sounds pretty groovy. neal should play with furthur...duh. trigger hippy...talk about derivative.

i'm not a huge crowes fan either. i loved southern harmony, but then lost interest. their last actual album was good. i like the direction they are/were going. i love neal casel and this brotherhood stuff sounds pretty groovy. neal should play with furthur...duh. trigger hippy...talk about derivative.

Try Amorica, the one right after Southern Harmony. Those two are many people's faves.

Had never heard of Trigger Hippy until today. Quick google search and it looks right up my alley. I like the concept of the band with the revolving 4th member.

is this chris rhodes (sp?) ?? {there was a friend of friend who's reaction to that ramble on rose was kind of legendary}

anyway, that was a really fun show for me. i had had a nasty ear infection and it totally cleared up for that show. i could hear again!! that ramble on rose was classic. UJB had a crazy jam as well. also, jerry was playing his new guitar and it sounded almost acoustic. damn, there was nothing like fall tour shows in the midwest. cool air, sweaters, falling leaves, new tapes from summer tour. good times. miss it every fall.

I'm not Chris Rhodes, if that's what you're asking. My story from the show: behind the stage during the 2nd set, tripping hard for the 2nd day in a row, twisted. Corrina jam. Things start to get weird. The crowd starts cheering, it seems like they're singing along, reacting in unison. The music sounds really distorted, almost like the beginning of Shakedown St. I'm starting to freak out. What the fuck is going on here? A split second is an eternity. Maybe I should get the hell out of here. Then all of a sudden, the entire arena sings "Oh oh what I want to know, how does the song go?" Uncle John's fucking Band. God bless the Grateful Dead and LSD.

I've got a Black Crowes covers compilation, I think 3 or 4 cd's. Includes a lot of Dead, Stones, etc. Great stuff. Just their originals I never found to be very...original.

JW-cool story. i went to miami of ohio and we drove back and forth for two days for those shows. crazy and fun.

i probably didn't give trigger hippy much of a chance. need to listen more.

crowes and chris do some great covers. i love the brotherhood's versions of the love each other and sugaree. hope the albums are like this. also, love to see crowes doing neil young's LA. love that tune.

have checked out amorica several times. just doesn't click. she gave good sunflower and wiser times are great songs though. i saw them on the southern harmony tour. loudest show i ever saw. they covered dreams by allman brothers. it was around the time chris had said on mtv that he doesn't some weed. ironically, the band's backdrop was a GIANT pot leaf!