• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Keys is still alive?! For some reason I thought he checked out in the 90s.

Nope - alive and kicking - he has a new auto-bio out. Haven't gotten around to it, yet.

I heard that he sat in with either 7-Walkers or another Dead related band, the night after the Vibes fest.

He was on an episode of Steve Gorman's show a while back.

Tonight is a special Jerry Garcia's birthday party at the SF Giants game. For those folks who bought tickets to sit in the special GD section tonight, they'll also receive this:

My sisters will be at the game, but not in that section. :)

Someday - I am coming out there again. And you can show me all the places where most of my favorite music was born. I know that sort of music is not your cup of tea exactly, but you do live in the magic city.

And I love to show people around my magic city! Anytime, brother, anytime. :)

I spent time there in the mid-1980s, but I don't recall much about those days.

I know the well known stuff, but it would be cool to dig a little deeper and check out some places that are not usually on the list.

i'd love to get that 90s box set, but can't afford at this point. hopefully they'll release these as single sets. LOVE spring 90!

Yeah. Ditch the tix stubs and backstage passes and shit and bring the price down a little.....

Caught a bunch of the Spring 90s live, too. Crisp and tight at each one.....

I'd say they are going more and more for the Deadheads with deep pockets. Plus - they are only printing 9,000 copies. It's not something I would be interested in buying. It's probably moreso a Rhino thing, than a GD thing.

I'd say they are going more and more for the Deadheads with deep pockets. Plus - they are only printing 9,000 copies. It's not something I would be interested in buying. It's probably moreso a Rhino thing, than a GD thing.

Well I never considered myself as a "Deadhead with deep pockets" - more so a sucker for a cool box-set - I do enjoy the books that come with these types of sets - the other stuff I can do without. $200 is a lot of dough, though. I think the Dead organization is as involved with this set as Rhino is.

Came across the below today - I don't think I ever seen it before - pretty fun/different.

Grateful Dead - Backstage Pass Out Takes Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Ndlmko_ek&feature=related

I can't justify spending that much money on music anymore. I don't really listen to much GD after about 1973 anyhow. I think the most expensive boxset I ever bought was the first Warner Brothers era boxset.

Speaking of dough, now there is going to be new Garcia series. I was never a huge fan of this version of JGB - mainly because of the keyboards.

http://jerrygarcia.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=640_57727&pc=JYCD49

The first release from the newly-launched Garcia Live series features a recording from the historic Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey on March 1, 1980. The band performed an early and a late show on this evening, as was common at the time. The shows were originally multi-tracked on a 24-track mobile rig for WNEW's broadcast of the early show.

The band, which included Garcia on guitar and vocals, partner in crime John Kahn on bass, Ozzie Ahlers on Keys and Johnny de Foncesca on drums at the time, was wrapping up a three-week East Coast run with the performances on this evening. Highlights including a take on the Jimmie Rodgers penned rave-up, "That's All Right," an early show encore of "Deal" and a rollicking version of "That's What Love Will Make You Do" show Jerry and the band loose and fluid at the end of the tour.

I watched about 40 minutes of the show last night. I guess it is suppose to be up later on today. There were some comments that struck me as rather rude - but I'll try and let that go.

Anyhow - I really appreciated Jorma, Jack, and Mike Campbell's interviews.

Though I had it on, I had stuff going on during the first part so I did not catch a lot of it - the bit with Hidalgo was pretty cool - never heard the 58 Strat story before - it is a bit of a bummer that the guitar had a string missing. I missed Micky Hart's bit and the only time I saw Keys was while he was jamming with 7 Walkers - I am not sure if he gave an interview. I didn't catch any rude comments, though - hoping to catch it again in its entirety, though.

I did catch quiet a bit of the performance - unfortunately I thought it was a little underwhelming - a bit boring if you will. It was nice to Donna and Bobby side by side again. Weir did sound good, though.

I realize that it's suppose to be more of a studio performance, rather than a concert, - but I wish they had the audience mic'd a bit to get some ambiance. Plus half the time I did not know who the people were - though perhaps it's a bit of my fault for being too lazy to look it up and too ignorant.

That one kid was Willie Nelson's son. I had to look that up. I can't say his music did anything for me. I forgot about the Los Lobos guy - that was very touching.

I noticed two of Jerry's daughters were named Annabelle on the screen title. One of them - the second one I think - is actually Trixie.

I am curious as to how Luke Wilson ended up there.

Move Me Brightly setlists and player list (by way of Jambands.com)

Thanks, Vacant! Think I'll pick up a couple of those.

no prob. i think i'm gonna get some of the download series stuff. never got any of them ;-) i know what i'll be listening too tonight.

btw, anyone have any idea on that TRI jerry party being streamed again?

It's gotta be hard to sell something that everyone already has in most cases. All of those shows are available via BT or streamable on the Archive in SBD or even matrix quality. I think the book, tickets and memorabilia is an attempt to interest would be buyers. I know I would love to have it but, I can also no longer justify spending that kind of money. I think the recording industry is going to face a bitter pill to swallow soon as more and more people turn to file sharing and streaming.

I did catch quite a bit of the performance - unfortunately I thought it was a little underwhelming - a bit boring if you will. It was nice to Donna and Bobby side by side again.

I finally got around to watching all of the Yahoo version of the performance, and I was underwhelmed too. While it was nice to see my man Neal Casal in there (boy, I hope he gets to open for, or at least do some lead vocals for, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood show I'm going to later this year), I felt like the Weir and Donna vocals were mostly pretty weak. The version of Scarlet Begonias was rather tame and went on far too long, and the Days Between was downright painful. I have enjoyed a few Ratdog shows in the past, but I think I will pass on seeing any of these types of shows in the future.

"Those days are gone forever

Over a long time ago..."