• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read in various places over the years that the so-called punk rock people hated such bands. I suppose Bob is sort of like Mick Jagger - in that he stays current.

Yea, who can forget his support of Hanson...sorry I couldn't help myself. All kidding aside happy birthday to Mr. Strummer!

85 does have some good stuff. those mid 80s shows are kind of hard for me to listen too. garcia slurs so much and brent sounds like he's playing a toy piano. it's no wonder most of the archive shows that have been released officially have been from the 70s, early 80s and late 80s/90.

That picture is from the Jamaica festival in 1982. A friend who attended said the Dead didn't go on stage until about 3am, by that time most people had left. It is surprising to see Bob and Joe together, but Joe was a lot more than just an ignorant punk, really defies being categorized. Listen to his song Coma Girl, and it is clear he appreciates 60's culture, and references the Acid Tests. Great song. Also, Furthur covered London Calling about a year ago.

Regarding the band's playing in the 80's, their demise has been greatly exaggerated. They really didn't start to stink it up on a consistent basis until 94, and even then there were usually mind-bending moments within each show. The only show I hated was my last, the band's second to last show at Soldier's Field, and even that show has tan amazing Visions of Johanna in which Garcia just erupts. One of my greatest and most profound memories of seeing the Dead.

there's some pretty bad stuff out there. not as bad as it could have been if phil and bob lost it like garcia did. jerry's playing really didn't start to go to hell consistently until late 91 as far as i can see. add in his voice decline and it was pretty rough go there. that being said, jerry band in the 90s always rocked. go figure.

there's some pretty bad stuff out there. not as bad as it could have been if phil and bob lost it like garcia did. jerry's playing really didn't start to go to hell consistently until late 91 as far as i can see. add in his voice decline and it was pretty rough go there. that being said, jerry band in the 90s always rocked. go figure.

I agree with the part about Lesh and Weir, post-91. It seemed as they started to play the new songs (Eternity, Long Way to Concession Stand, Liberty, Lazy River Road, So Many Roads, etc.) they along with everyone, but Jerry was present in the music. Again, within the 92-95 years you can find incredible moments and even full shows, example RFK 92, Dean Dome 93, and Charlotte 95 (Bruce Night). I struggle personally to come up with a standout in 1994. But, I'm sure someone else will chime in having had some magical experience.

I struggle personally to come up with a standout in 1994. But, I'm sure someone else will chime in having had some magical experience.

There aren't many, imo. Boston Garden, 10.1.94, is a pretty great show though, particularly the playing in the second set:

Help on the Way ->

Slipknot! ->

Franklin's Tower

Walkin' Blues

Althea

Me & My Uncle ->

Big River

Tom Thumb's Blues

So Many Roads

Promised Land

Scarlet Begonias ->

Fire on the Mountain

Way to go Home

Saint of Circumstance ->

Terrapin ->

Drums ->

Space ->

The Last Time ->

Stella Blue ->

One More Saturday Night

E: Liberty

19 Songs

There aren't many, imo. Boston Garden, 10.1.94, is a pretty great show though, particularly the playing in the second set:

Help on the Way ->
Slipknot! ->
Franklin's Tower
Walkin' Blues
Althea
Me & My Uncle ->
Big River
Tom Thumb's Blues
So Many Roads
Promised Land

Scarlet Begonias ->
Fire on the Mountain
Way to go Home
Saint of Circumstance ->
Terrapin ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Last Time ->
Stella Blue ->
One More Saturday Night

19 Songs

Nice call...

I was at the 3/16/94 Rosemont, IL show - it was pretty decent - they best of the 4 I saw that year.

http://archive.org/d...7778.sbeok.shnf

that show was good. the scarlet fire was excellent as was the surprise dark star. 93 spring and fall had some nice moments. the last richfield run was horrible. i think what keeps me from listening to much of that era is vince. he just didn't fit, although, at the time i was a supporter.

I was at the 3/16/94 Rosemont, IL show - it was pretty decent - they best of the 4 I saw that year.

The middle night of the Deer Creek run was solid.

Sadly, never made it to a Deer Creek Dead show, which is criminal on my part.

"All of my friends" (Black Peter went through my head there) always went down there to catch the shows and came back with tapes of them, which was good. 7/19/94 was a good one.

The 94 Soldier Field shows were dismal - I almost skipped the 95 Soldier Field Run, because of the dismal 94 run. I didn't get tickets for the 95 run when they went on sell, but my friends had extra's so I went. The 95 run wasn't great, but I would have been kicking myself forever for missing their last show - glad I went.

I was 3rd row Jerry side for that show. Great setlist. Jerry did a little knee bend during Standing on the Moon. There were some sound issues that night, but great show.

Help on the Way ->

Slipknot! ->

Franklin's Tower

Walkin' Blues

Althea

Me & My Uncle ->

Big River

Tom Thumb's Blues

So Many Roads

Promised Land

Scarlet Begonias ->

Fire on the Mountain

Way to go Home

Saint of Circumstance ->

Terrapin ->

Drums ->

Space ->

The Last Time ->

Stella Blue ->

One More Saturday Night

19 Songs

Might be the best version of So Many Roads...to heal my soul.

that show was good. the scarlet fire was excellent as was the surprise dark star. 93 spring and fall had some nice moments. the last richfield run was horrible. i think what keeps me from listening to much of that era is vince. he just didn't fit, although, at the time i was a supporter.

There was some great stuff in that last Richfield run. The jam in Let it Grow on the first night, Phil getting weird on NFA. And the 2nd night, New Speedway bustout, plus Space>Lovelight>Stella Blue>Lovelight!!!! Hot shit.

There was some great stuff in that last Richfield run. The jam in Let it Grow on the first night, Phil getting weird on NFA. And the 2nd night, New Speedway bustout, plus Space>Lovelight>Stella Blue>Lovelight!!!! Hot shit.

you know, you are so right. i'm on drugs. i don't know what i was thinking. i love that second night. tight first set and probably then best stella blue ever:) i don't remember the first night being too good. i was tired i think.

I was 3rd row Jerry side for that show. Great setlist. Jerry did a little knee bend during Standing on the Moon. There were some sound issues that night, but great show.

There are always sound issues at Rosemont. I believe this was one of Cutler's first shows after taking over the house sound from Healy - I could be wrong about that, though.

I love these guys, but I am like A-man in that I rarely listen to much of anything post 70s. All the shows I attended were in the 80s (and one in '91), so every once in a while I break those out. But the precipitous decline in Jerry's voice after about '83 or '84 makes just about all of it hard for me to listen to. I can't even stand to hear him on the official releases most of the time with the exception of the In The Dark. It was just that pitiful.

yeah, i've tried to pinpoint when garcia's voice went. def 83-86. then he just kind of maintained. i remember that when i was initially into the dead, i hadn't heard any recent stuff (late 80s) and when i did, i thought garcia's voice sucked. i got used to it though. it seemed to work on the acoustic stuff he did with grisman and somehow it sounded good on in the dark.

Man, Garcia's voice wasn't ever much of a factor for me. If they were playing well and he wasn't muffing up lyrics, I was happy. There is soooo much good stuff from the 80s. I always think of the band in stages, anyway. I love the diversity of the different stages, too, I think ignoring 80s (or any era) short-changes the evolution of the band, in a sense. What attracted me to them from the get-go was that they weren't stagnant or stuck in a mode or era but willing and able to try new shit, pass or fail.

There are always sound issues at Rosemont. I believe this was one of Cutler's first shows after taking over the house sound from Healy - I could be wrong about that, though.

You are right about the sound issues at Rosemont - one of the worst places to see a concert, but not sure if United Center is much better. Also right about those being Cutler's first shows.

Just got my shipping notice for the Spring 90 release - I guess that's kinda cool, it was suppose to ship on the 31st.

Listening to the 2nd set of 10.1.94, again. Jerry singing and overall performance is great for the period - I wonder if this means he was on really great stuff for the show or straight...I guess it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Man, Garcia's voice wasn't ever much of a factor for me. If they were playing well and he wasn't muffing up lyrics, I was happy. There is soooo much good stuff from the 80s. I always think of the band in stages, anyway. I love the diversity of the different stages, too, I think ignoring 80s (or any era) short-changes the evolution of the band, in a sense. What attracted me to them from the get-go was that they weren't stagnant or stuck in a mode or era but willing and able to try new shit, pass or fail.

Agreed and well said, except that I was not a big fan of the last and final stage. It started to feel contrived.

The amazing part of garica as a musician was the repertoire. That dude could play and sing 100 songs at the drop of a hat without a crib note.

I am a child of the Brent/Tiger era. While I love some of the older stuff, the bulk of my shows were 82-93. I even loved the summer stadium tours. So much fun.

That being said, some of the 90s were good. I had a fabulous time in boston in 1991 when they returned to the garden after a long hiatus. The band and the crowd just brought it. A few other good ones in there as well. MSG run in 93 is when I jumped off.

No doubt the magic was still happening in the 80s and early 90s. You cant really compare it to the 70s stuff-totally different band once brent joined IMHO, and again once he left.