• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garcia was clean and not clean on and off most of his career. It doesn't matter, much, in the end. To me, at least. He had his ups and downs, musically/vocally. Even when he shat the bed, at times, with the lyrics/vocals, his playing almost always made up for it. It's part of the lore that the JGB became a conduit to fund his and John Kahn's habits/vices for a lot of the 80s. Some great music was made by the JGB in the 80s.....

I thought the '87-'91 period was generally an excellent period for Garcia and the GD band. I got off the bus in the early '80's, around '81 I guess, and was shocked as hell to see how great I thought they were when i went back in September '87. The hiatus did me good. From my experiences, both live and tape trading, the MSG fall '90 and Boston fall '91 were the last great runs. I was surprised to read the liner notes to the current spring '90 box set as calling that the last great period (I know they're selling). I kept going until the end, but the '92-95 era were often painful to watch, with some ecstatic moments scattered around.

I thought the '87-'91 period was generally an excellent period for Garcia and the GD band. I got off the bus in the early '80's, around '81 I guess, and was shocked as hell to see how great I thought they were when i went back in September '87. The hiatus did me good. From my experiences, both live and tape trading, the MSG fall '90 and Boston fall '91 were the last great runs. I was surprised to read the liner notes to the current spring '90 box set as calling that the last great period (I know they're selling). I kept going until the end, but the '92-95 era were often painful to watch, with some ecstatic moments scattered around.

i enjoyed the shows from 92-95, but purposefully didn't go to many. i also left early a few times. post space was just killing time. now, i cannot listen to any show from that era. i just don't care for vince.

i enjoyed the shows from 92-95, but purposefully didn't go to many. i also left early a few times. post space was just killing time. now, i cannot listen to any show from that era.

Yep. My last show was Giants Stadium '95, after the first night. The show was a debacle, for the most part. The Wharf Rat was pathetic, Garcia was lost. Handed our tix for the next night to strangers on the way out of the show it was so rough.

Yep. My last show was Giants Stadium '95, after the first night. The show was a debacle, for the most part. The Wharf Rat was pathetic, Garcia was lost. Handed our tix for the next night to strangers on the way out of the show it was so rough.

yeah, lots of folks were doing that on multiple night runs.

I saw the 2nd to last Dead show, and cringed when they started my favorite tune, Terrapin. It got butchered. But then he pulled off the most amazing Visions, with all those verses - guess they had the teleprompters on for that one. Whatever the case, those post space Garcia ballads were my favorite parts of the shows, and why I could never leave early. The rest of the show was terrible, but that made it all worth while. Just wait for the "Even Mona Lisa must've had the highway blues...":

http://youtu.be/xkIoj5iYTsI

Nothing of the sort my good fellow. For some reason I couldnt post here for some weeks. Had to start a new account, eeesh. Here's some news-got swarmed by yellowjackets yesterday. Only one bad sting so I got lucky.

Nothing of the sort my good fellow. For some reason I couldnt post here for some weeks. Had to start a new account, eeesh. Here's some news-got swarmed by yellowjackets yesterday. Only one bad sting so I got lucky.

Well well well. Look who we have here!

Just got my shipping notice for the Spring 90 release - I guess that's kinda cool, it was suppose to ship on the 31st.

Listening to the 2nd set of 10.1.94, again. Jerry singing and overall performance is great for the period - I wonder if this means he was on really great stuff for the show or straight...I guess it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

So...what do ya think? It's really a BAND in every sense of the word on these shows. So glad I took the plunge. BUT - how in the fuck do they omit 3/29? Criminal, I tell ya.

So...what do ya think? It's really a BAND in every sense of the word on these shows. So glad I took the plunge. BUT - how in the fuck do they omit 3/29? Criminal, I tell ya.

The sound of the cd's are great - I only halfway through the shows, though. I enjoyed the book that came with the 72 set more than the 90 set - perhaps because the story behind the 72 tour is a lot more interesting. The pics in the 72 set seem to be better quality, too. The 90 set, overall (presentation, etc.) is better, though. Very solid packaging, etc (which is what we are shelling the 200 clams out for, I guess).

The Dead were more concise in their playing on this tour - which is not a bad thing, they just did not wander or go off on a weird tangent on these discs. The shows seem relativity short, but that may be because I have been listening to a lot of 69-72 as of late, so anything seems short compared to that era. Plus, I could do without the Hey Jude (not a big fan of the song), plus Brent pretty much butchers it.

Regarding the omission of 3/29/90 show, I am not sure. Two songs have been released already, but I think a few other songs from these six shows have been released, too - so I am guessing that is not the reason. I'm pretty sure Bradford Marsalis didn't nix the release (probably didn't have any legal ground to do so, anyway). Perhaps Rhino has a 3/29 CD/DVD release in the pipeline - who knows.

Anyway - no buyer's remorse on my end.

I was just listening to Without A Net and the Branford Marsalis Eyes of The World, so nice! I was thinking about how good it would've sounded if they'd brought back the minor key/major key jam they used to do on that song in '73 and played that with Branford. How about Branford on a Supplication jam? Gotta go back and listen to what he did with Slipknot, too. http://archive.org/details/gd1991-09-10.mtx.amdig.gems.98132.flac16

Nice 'n spacey Slipknot with Branford and I think Bruce Hornsby, too.

Listening to the Fire on the Mountain from Dead Set at work now, after playing the versions of Bertha, Mama Tried, Big Railroad Blues and Playing In the Band from Skull & Roses.

Whatever happened to Big Railroad Blues? They hardly played that one in concert, it seems. They never played it between '74 and '79, and some years after that, too, they never played it at all. Underrated tune, IMHO.

It's turning into a Grateful Dead afternoon here at work....

I love Big Railroad Blues, too. Any short fast Garcia rocker was something I always wished for (Might As Well, etc). Try the really good one from Worcester 4-7-88 http://archive.org/d...63.sbeok.flac16 Garcia kicks into a second go around on the solo and the crowd really responds. A short moment of brilliance from the Dead! "...we could be brilliant...for seconds on end!" Goes into a pretty good Around and Around, even though Bob flubs the ending. He wanted to keep going and the band thought it was the end.

I saw Big RxR only a few times, and it was always a special first set treat.

Here's another really good Big Railroad Blues 10-15-83 http://archive.org/d...26.sbeok.flac16

Garcia solos and solos on this one, he doesn't wanna quit!

Love Big RxR, too. This show smoked top to bottom. I remember anticipating that Stephen (as they had done it a few nights earlier at MSG with a similar 1st half of Set II ) and still get shivers listening to it out of Space. The place errupted like no other time I'd seen the band previously or after (including D Star Warlocks, Ripple break-out, etc). Magical. In hindsight, it had really only been a few years since they'd played Stephen....