I've been plowing through that Spring '90 box set, and I have to say that tour HAS to be about the most cohesive playing ever from the GD. It almost sounds rehearsed it's so tight. Everything is so balanced - you can tell they were really listening to each other.

Plus, it's truly a showcase for Brent lovers. God, the guy just BURNS every show.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been plowing through that Spring '90 box set, and I have to say that tour HAS to be about the most cohesive playing ever from the GD. It almost sounds rehearsed it's so tight. Everything is so balanced - you can tell they were really listening to each other.

Plus, it's truly a showcase for Brent lovers. God, the guy just BURNS every show.

Still have the last show to listen to - definitely cohesive. All the shows seem to go by very fast.

Regarding the 76 release - probably will get it. 76 is a decent year. I do enjoy the 76 Road Trip release quite a bit.

There was a Dick's Picks that was both 9/25 & 9/28, and a Road Trips from June 9 Boston. '76 is criminally underrated imo. I actually dig that year more than much of '77. It still has a little of the feel of '74. The tempos are WAY slow, however.

I'm a tad disappointed in the choice though. WHERE IS '67, '82, OR '84? :realmad Out of the gazillion live releases STILL nothing from those years.And there's some GREAT stuff from both '82 and '84.

I wonder what the story is behind this?

We have located the uncirculated soundboard master reel. . .

Maybe it was part of the Betty Boards?

Ok - Dave says it was Dan Healy who did the tapes.

Edited by Analogman

There was a Dick's Picks that was both 9/25 & 9/28, and a Road Trips from June 9 Boston. '76 is criminally underrated imo. I actually dig that year more than much of '77. It still has a little of the feel of '74. The tempos are WAY slow, however.

I'm a tad disappointed in the choice though. WHERE IS '67, '82, OR '84? :realmad Out of the gazillion live releases STILL nothing from those years.And there's some GREAT stuff from both '82 and '84.

Lethargic playing is precisely why I don't like '76 all that much. For me, slow tempos worked better in JGB than the Dead. Things picked up in '77 and that's one reason I prefer '77 to '76. Lots of good stuff in '76 for those who dig the slow, though. Cow Palace NYE was pretty good.

I'm with ya on the lack of officially released '82-'84. NYE '84 is pretty good, especially the first set and the massive Shakedown! (I'm stuck in a Shakedown-loving phase still :) I love the Berkely Greek run in 1984, too. There may be technical reasons why they don't release early/mid 80s stuff, but I wish they'd do it anyways.

I really need that box set. I do have a lot of the shows from that spring on tape and disc but would love to hear the masters.....

I noticed David stated something to the effect of "exciting news" with regards to 2013 releases. I am guessing they will be doing more boxsets.

I'd like to see some more of those An Evening with The Grateful Dead featuring The New Riders Of The Purple Sage shows released. Or some of the 1970 GD acoustic shows.

I would pay for cleaned up versions of 10/9/82 & 10/10/82. Some of my favorite versions of a bunch of songs, including Touch of Grey and Throwing Stones...flubbed lyrics and all.

Yeah they had just busted those tunes out a few weeks earlier, iirc. Those early versions of Touch were really kind of slow and funky, almost. The one from Lake Placid '83 is one of my alltime favorites. In fact, the whole show is fantastic top to bottom.

slower the better as far as i'm concerned. i do not like fast versions of eyes in particular.

btw, are mountain bed and lammycat the same person? :shifty

slower the better as far as i'm concerned. i do not like fast versions of eyes in particular.

btw, are mountain bed and lammycat the same person? :shifty

I would pay for cleaned up versions of 10/9/82 & 10/10/82. Some of my favorite versions of a bunch of songs, including Touch of Grey and Throwing Stones...flubbed lyrics and all.

I have both shows (they're AUDs) and they sound GREAT!

I love Uncle Bobo telling the crowd to stay out of the trees.....

Those early versions of Touch were really kind of slow and funky, almost. The one from Lake Placid '83 is one of my alltime favorites. In fact, the whole show is fantastic top to bottom.
Ah yes, Lake Acid. Some great stuff there. Electric To Lay Me Down! :love

The Wheel on that show is my favorite version.

A pretty cool essay on Dire Wolf - by way of the Grateful Dead Guide.

As Garcia soon discovered, the song also tapped a deep vein of American paranoia:

“I wrote that song when the Zodiac Killer was out murdering in San Francisco. Every night I was coming home from the studio, and I’d stop at an intersection and look around, and if a car pulled up, it was like, ‘This is it. I’m gonna die now.’ It became a game. Every night I was conscious of that thing, and the refrain got to be so real to me: ‘Please don’t murder me…’ It was a coincidence in a way, but it was also the truth at the moment.”

Those are great. I'm REAL partial to 7/31 as well. That 2nd set is just my idea of a perfect set.

September 17, 1982 would be great...

1977 seemed a bit too tight for me...1976 was a bit looser...

check out 8.4.1976...

Yeah, and I forgot the "Day on the Green" shows (10/9/&10/76) where they alternated opening/closing for The Who. That was another Dick's Pick, and a damn fine one at that.

Lethargic playing is precisely why I don't like '76 all that much. For me, slow tempos worked better in JGB than the Dead. Things picked up in '77 and that's one reason I prefer '77 to '76. Lots of good stuff in '76 for those who dig the slow, though. Cow Palace NYE was pretty good.

I agree exactly on the '76 vs. '77 shows. I saw a bunch of shows both years, and the excitement of having the Dead back after what seemed like an interminable hiatus (which looking back was of course only about 18 months) made the '76 shows special at the time. But in retrospect, listening to the recordings, I find the '76 shows a little slow and sterile. While just about every '77 show I've ever heard is off the hook fantastic.

I mentioned the lack of '82 for official releases and somehow forgot 8/7/82 Alpine. One of my favorite "cowboy" first sets ever.

Than run from 7/31 to about 8/10 is stellar. One of the better weeks in their last 15 years imo.

I mentioned the lack of '82 for official releases and somehow forgot 8/7/82 Alpine. One of my favorite "cowboy" first sets ever.

Than run from 7/31 to about 8/10 is stellar. One of the better weeks in their last 15 years imo.

Music->Sugaree->Music opener. The Zoo Amp on JG's birthday is the one that sticks out as mediocre, for some reason. The Alpine's, Iowa City, St. Paul, and St. Louis shows are tight, though.

Just got the Garcia/Saunders Complete Keystone set last night. Have a solo 4 1/2 car trip planned for this afternoon - very much looking forward to it.

I hardly listen to shows from 80-86. Thanks for all these early 80's suggestions.

Just got the Garcia/Saunders Complete Keystone set last night. Have a solo 4 1/2 car trip planned for this afternoon - very much looking forward to it.

I hardly listen to shows from 80-86. Thanks for all these early 80's suggestions.

You might be able to get through a quarter of that Keystone show on your trip.....