Just got the Garcia/Saunders Complete Keystone set last night. Have a solo 4 1/2 car trip planned for this afternoon - very much looking forward to it.

Mine came in a couple of days ago. Sounds great. The original Live at Keystone was always among our favorite of all GD related releases. Very glad to have this. One interesting tidbit: the box comes with a poster of the Keystone calendar for the month. Ten days after these 2 classic shows, Jerry was back with Old and In the Way. Amazing to me.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine came in a couple of days ago. Sounds great. The original Live at Keystone was always among our favorite of all GD related releases. Very glad to have this. One interesting tidbit: the box comes with a poster of the Keystone calendar for the month. Ten days after these 2 classic shows, Jerry was back with Old and In the Way. Amazing to me.

Yeah, Live at Keystone has received more play than just about anything in all my GD releases. It's hard to tire of it. The Like a Road has brought out some emotional responses over the years, especially after burying a loved one/friend,etc.

I find this a bit odd:

Dick’s Picks To Be Re-Released On Vinyl

The entire Dicks Picks Series is set to be released on 180 gram vinyl. The first two releases, Dick’s Picks Volumes 1 and 2, will be available on November 20 as limited edition, hand-numbered releases. Dick’s Picks Vol. 1 will be a four LP recording of the December 19, 1973 Grateful Dead show at Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa, FL. Dick’s Picks Vol. 2 will be a two LP recording of the October 31, 1971 show at the Ohio Theatre in Columbus, OH. These releases can be pre-ordered here. The rest of the series will be re-released on vinyl.

While we want of course the source tapes to every show, we are at the mercy of The Dead for masters for both ART and MUSIC. For the first shows the Dead simply does not have the original masters for them. We had no choice except to go from the CD. My first reaction was, thats impossible, how do they not have the masters? Well after about 6 months of searching they just do not have them. It looks like though for future releases they have about 90% of the masters on all the volumes.

I only had a copy of one of the Keystone volumes on a cd, I was not as familiar with the Keystone performance. After listening to the first two discs, what strikes me the most is Jerry singing - it's fantastic. I am guessing he is playing is playing his Alligator guitar,though he got his Wolf guitar in May. There are pictures of Garcia playing both guitars in the liner notes, so I am not a 100% certain. (The shows were July 10 &11). Anyway great stuff so far.

Wow, $120 + $39 shipping for DP 1&2 on vinyl, I'd love to have 'em but that seems a little steep. Plus, if I bought 1&2 it would be hard not to keep going, wonder how quickly they'll be releasing the rest? The WB years box was worth it just for Aoxomoxoa alone, but can't see where these will justify the price sonically, only in an obsessive collector way. Will have to think hard about it but probably gonna cherry-pick my favourite DPs only - Fillmore 70, Harpur College, Boston 74, Englishtown 77....

Dicks on vinyl is a bit ridiculous I think. I sure as hell don't want to be hearing some 30 minute jam and then have to flip the record.

I understand there's a vinyl resurgence these days, but I'd say your right. It just seems weird. I think they should put them back out as FLAC and Mp3 downloads. That what people want - mostly.

There are a few I'd like to own - and the price of the used cds puts me off.

The page for the releases at Dead.net.

I thought this was some sort of joke when I first saw it at Relix.

Hey Mr. H - 30th anniversary of the Frost run. Break 'em out!

anyone like that side trips album or hooterroll? i haven't pulled those out in years. i need to get he keystone set. love JGB. i hope the garcia camp can get their shit together are release some flac shows etc.

anyone like that side trips album or hooterroll? i haven't pulled those out in years. i need to get he keystone set. love JGB. i hope the garcia camp can get their shit together are release some flac shows etc.

Oh man! I remember the first time I heard Side Trips - it totally blew me out. I still listen to that a few times a year, 15 years later.

Never listened to Side Trips or Hooteroll?.

Vacant, you definitely should get the Keystone set. For some reason I was a little underwhelmed with Spring 90 set - the Keystone set made up for it greatly.

I don't know much about Jerry's solo stuff - but this is a great show:

Band: Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders

Date: 06/04/1975 - Wednesday

Venue: Keystone

Source: Audience FOB Recording

Media: Maxell UD90

Lineage: Sony ECM-270 and ECM-250 [Positioned Onstage] > Sony TC-152 > MAC

Transfer: MAC > Nak Dragon > LynxTWO-B > WaveLab 5.0 > HD 24/96 WAV

Taper: Bob Menke and Louis Falanga

Transfer: Bob Menke

Mastering: Derek McCabe

Set 1:

d1t01 - Think

d1t02 - I Feel Like Dynamite

d1t03 - Every Word You Say

d1t04 - Boogie On Reggae Woman

d1t05 - Little Sunflower

d2t01 - Mystery // Train

Set 2:

d2t02 - I'll Take A Melody

d2t03 - You Can Leave Your Hat On

d2t04 - Mississippi Moon

d2t05 - Talkin' 'Bout You

Never listened to Side Trips or Hooteroll?.

Vacant, you definitely should get the Keystone set. For some reason I was a little underwhelmed with Spring 90 set - the Keystone set made up for it greatly.

good to know. i also was underwhelmed with the 90s set. it was too much of a good thing...maybe. i have to get a certain vibe of a show to really be into it. nothing really grabbed me on that set other than the stuff i'd already enjoyed in the past.

i'm definitely getting that keystone set. looking at that show Aman posted i'm always in awe of how a jerry show could be 10 songs and last 3 hours!

btw, side trips is just one big jazzy jam. cool stuff, but maybe not essential. i remember that when it came it out it was supposed to be a series.

My non-Deadhead wife and I watched Dead Ahead last weekend. Out of all the stuff I've played for her, this was the most impressive to her. She started to get interested during On The Road Again with Jerry's spry picking and the band grooving along. They were singing real purty at those acoustic shows in 1980, a really nice blend with Brent in the mix. Having Brent replace Donna on vocals was a hallejuah moment for lots of Heads, I'd imagine (I'm sure there are also plenty who feel the opposite, too). Lost Sailor>Saint was really good on this DVD. Nice bonus footage, too (Shakedown!)

That "Sugaree" on the To Terrapin, Hartford '77 disc is fantastic. Jerry is shredding the fretboard.

Sugaree became a MONSTER from March '77 on through about '83. Jerry speed-picking those triplets just gives me goosebumps.

Sugaree became a MONSTER from March '77 on through about '83. Jerry speed-picking those triplets just gives me goosebumps.

And JGB versions during said time frame were sick as well, generally trumping GD versions.

I am watching the archived David live chat. He starts out by talking about being "just exactly perfect". I find that hilarious.

Here's the link again: David (live chat).

He mentions he likes Wilco quite a bit.

Rhino is putting this show out on vinyl for Record Store Day:

Grateful Dead Live at Winterland Arena on 1971-05-30

Or rather, part of it.

Bertha

Bobby McGee

The Rub

Loser

Playin

Next Time

Morning Dew

Promised

Good Lovin

China Cat> I Know You Rider

Sugar Magnolia

Cumberland

Me & My Uncle

Deal

Truckin> Lovelight

Uncle John

Casey Jones

Johnny B. Goode

• 2 weeks later...

Good post and discussion over at Hidden Track on the 5 best/favorite years, with links to top 5 shows of each of the 5 best years.

http://www.glidemaga...#comment-767607

I knew I'd just get pissed if I went over there. :lol