sorry, Dark Star 2-13-70 is the one I was thinking of (its on Dick's Picks #4), not the 2-14-70.

Still my favorite Dark Star.

And I agree with Shug that Winterland's summary is good, but that it needs to start earlier than 1972. I don't listen to the Dead all that much anymore but when I do I tend to put on stuff from 69-70.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that about what weir considered to be their best years and it makes sense. From 87-90 he was the rock star on stage and was able to ham it up. Jerry was still the guiding force but weir probably enjoyed these years the most - especially considering how close they came to jerry dying in 1986...

As for the years earlier than 72...

64-65 beginnings and garage bandy - somewhat interesting

66 - acid band, shows fragmented and very chaotic - pig really the only stable presence in tehir shows

67 - grateful dead really gelling with more jerry presence and still heavy pig presence...

68 - jerry becomes a phenomenal guitar player and takes over the reigns mainly from Pig; pig still has prsence but not as dominant

69 - weir and lesh catch up with jerry a bit in terms of musicianship; easily one of their finest years (c.f., 1972 and 1973) - jerry's art at a peak

70 - band resets in new countryish direction; band begins to become more of a traditional accoustic and electric song band - band struggles with harmonies (as they do for the remainder of their careers); deep jams still very impressive

71 - band loses a bit of the countryish edge but keeps up with the song format / deep jam format; deep jams put on back end a bit during first 8 months of hte year; pig's health declining; from jan to august i think it was one of their most boring and redundant years - then - in fall 71 - with addition of keith - the band woke up heavily and took off (indeed, most consider the 72-74 era to be among their best - i would amend it to be fall 71 through 75...

I've heard that about what weir considered to be their best years and it makes sense. From 87-90 he was the rock star on stage and was able to ham it up. Jerry was still the guiding force but weir probably enjoyed these years the most - especially considering how close they came to jerry dying in 1986...

While reserving comment of other eras/years for now, I will say that I think the playing was top-notch in the years cited by Weir and that the band seemed all happy to be playing together and were busting out some new tunes as well as dusting off old ones (Warlocks shows, etc.), regarless of the band's rise in popularity.

I saw most of my shows 87-89 and loved them...still do - favorite shows from 1989 - 2.10, 4.2, 4.3, 7.7, 7.17, 10.16, 12.27 (very underrated)...

87-90 is a great era...

Ditto. Caught a lot of earlier ones, too, but that was the era I saw a shitload of shows.

Thanks for that timeline, Winterland. From what I've listened to from some of the years you mentioned, I totally agree with your assessment.

Lammycat, after listening to some of those '89 shows, it's easy to see that the entire band respected Brent. Truckin' Up to Buffalo was my first GD DVD and I would watch that like once a week. I still listen to the audio on a consistent basis.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any, or many, Dick's Picks from '89. It seems like they overlooked this year and jumped to mid 90's material.

They recently came out with a nice pick from the spring '88 east coast tour (which was excellent, in my hazed memory) form Brendan Byrne on April 1st. That's form the Road Trips series. There isn't a lot of commercial release stuff from the period we're talking about, no, but there's plenty out there, for sure.

All I know is as a guitar player, "Eyes Of The World" is one of the funnest songs to jam on... I guess that's why the Grateful Dead is the greatest jam band ever.. They always wrote the best jam chord progressions.

Thanks for that timeline, Winterland. From what I've listened to from some of the years you mentioned, I totally agree with your assessment.

Lammycat, after listening to some of those '89 shows, it's easy to see that the entire band respected Brent. Truckin' Up to Buffalo was my first GD DVD and I would watch that like once a week. I still listen to the audio on a consistent basis.

The Truckin' Up to Buffalo is a great DVD/show, but some reason I'm not a big fan Crimson, White & Indigo: Philadelphia, July 7, 1989 release.

The last 89 Alpine show was my first show, so I am bit partial to the Downhill from Here DVD, though only West LA, Desolation, and Deal are the only songs on it from the last night of the run. I do think those are the best songs on the DVD; I always wonder why they didn't show more of the last night on the DVD, since I thought it was the best of the three, but again that maybe because I was at the show.

They recently came out with a nice pick from the spring '88 east coast tour (which was excellent, in my hazed memory) form Brendan Byrne on April 1st. That's form the Road Trips series. There isn't a lot of commercial release stuff from the period we're talking about, no, but there's plenty out there, for sure.

4-1-88 is a ripping good show, especially the first set. I haven't picked up this release yet, but it seems they are doing a pretty good job of fixing up the sound quality, so it should sound great.

Mississippi Half-Step

Jack Straw

To Lay Me Down

Ballad of a Thin Man

When Push Comes to Shove

New Minglewood Blues

Cumberland Blues

Deal

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World

drums

The Other One

Wharf Rat

Throwin' Stones

Not Fade Away

Brokedown Palace

All I know is as a guitar player, "Eyes Of The World" is one of the funnest songs to jam on... I guess that's why the Grateful Dead is the greatest jam band ever.. They always wrote the best jam chord progressions.

Our band is actually doing that song and just played it last night. That is a fun noodle song. Just sit there and play around in E Major.

4-1-88 is a ripping good show, especially the first set. I haven't picked up this release yet, but it seems they are doing a pretty good job of fixing up the sound quality, so it should sound great.

Mississippi Half-Step

Jack Straw

To Lay Me Down

Ballad of a Thin Man

When Push Comes to Shove

New Minglewood Blues

Cumberland Blues

Deal

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World

drums

The Other One

Wharf Rat

Throwin' Stones

Not Fade Away

Brokedown Palace

It was a good show. To be honest, I never liked the GD's version of "Ballad...." I caught one in Hampton before this, too, and it was lackluster. Can't all be home runs with the Dylan tunes, i suppose....

Those 1988 Oxford ME shows were my first. Crazy crazy times

Do you remember a parglider dropping into the back of the race track during one of the shows? I do....

• 3 weeks later...

A really great set:

Grateful Dead Live at Fillmore East on 1970-09-19

d3t01 - Dark Star ->

d3t02 - St. Stephen ->

d3t03 - Not Fade Away ->

d3t04 - Darkness Jam ->

d3t05 - China Cat Jam ->

d3t06 - Not Fade Away ->

d3t07 - Turn On Your Lovelight

d3t08 - Crowd noise > Youngbloods: Get Together... ->

d3t09 - Phil and Pigpen speak ->

d3t10 - Youngbloods: Get Together -> Crowd noise

The Truckin' Up to Buffalo is a great DVD/show, but some reason I'm not a big fan Crimson, White & Indigo: Philadelphia, July 7, 1989 release.

The last 89 Alpine show was my first show, so I am bit partial to the Downhill from Here DVD, though only West LA, Desolation, and Deal are the only songs on it from the last night of the run. I do think those are the best songs on the DVD; I always wonder why they didn't show more of the last night on the DVD, since I thought it was the best of the three, but again that maybe because I was at the show.

I totally dig the 'Little Red Rooster' from the Crimson White & Indigo show. I've never cared for Brett's stuff all that much as his original tunes and even his singing is too Micheal McDonald for me. However, the way he bares his soul on that version of Rooster gives me more respect for him.

I just finished listening to to the Oakland show from 12/16/86 this past weekend. The 'Eyes' from this show is played much faster than I have ever heard it played. The intro almost chugs along like a train. Interesting, not my favorite arrangement of the tune, but interesting nontheless.

I totally dig the 'Little Red Rooster' from the Crimson White & Indigo show. I've never cared for Brett's stuff all that much as his original tunes and even his singing is too Micheal McDonald for me. However, the way he bares his soul on that version of Rooster gives me more respect for him.

I like my Eyes as slow as possible. The 74 eyes are so great with the 9 jam.

I just finished listening to to the Oakland show from 12/16/86 this past weekend. The 'Eyes' from this show is played much faster than I have ever heard it played. The intro almost chugs along like a train. Interesting, not my favorite arrangement of the tune, but interesting nontheless.

Mississippi Half-Step

Jack Straw

To Lay Me Down

Ballad of a Thin Man

When Push Comes to Shove

New Minglewood Blues

Cumberland Blues

Deal

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World

drums

The Other One

Wharf Rat

Throwin' Stones

Not Fade Away

Brokedown Palace

they played this on GD radio last night. it is a great show. probably one of the best predrum sets. China>Rider Estimated>Eyes!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They sure took a long time to tune/break between songs in 1970 - listening to 11.8.70 - great show. Haven't purchased a Road Trip cd in a while, I think I am going to get this latest one. I don't have many 82 shows.

They sure took a long time to tune/break between songs in 1970 - listening to 11.8.70 - great show. Haven't purchased a Road Trip cd in a while, I think I am going to get this latest one. I don't have many 82 shows.

i have a hard time with 82-88. hearing garcia just lose his voice is rough. i need to check out some again. there's all those early versions of throwin' stones, the new lyrics on bt wind and of course, BOB STAR :0

i have a hard time with 82-88. hearing garcia just lose his voice is rough. i need to check out some again. there's all those early versions of throwin' stones, the new lyrics on bt wind and of course, BOB STAR :0

Check out 9/23/82. It was my first Dead show, so it has a special place in my heart, but there is now a SBD of it up on archive.org.

Check out 9/23/82. It was my first Dead show, so it has a special place in my heart, but there is now a SBD of it up on archive.org.

thanks for the recommendation. solid looking setlist :-)