http://www.archive.org/details/MonteBarrygd73-06-09.AUD.fob.barry.flac

6/9/73-RFK

just stumbled upon this. just has a great mellow vibe with some good pics from taper. so cool. my mom was way pregnant with me at the time. time is weird.

checking out the 82 show now :-)

btw-should i go to furthur this summer?

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out 9/23/82. It was my first Dead show, so it has a special place in my heart, but there is now a SBD of it up on archive.org.

'82 touch of gray is crazy:)

Venue Frost Amphitheatre - Stanford University

Location Palo Alto, CA

Date 10/9/82 - Saturday posters tickets, passes & laminates

One Alabama Getaway [4:58] > Greatest Story Ever Told [4:02] ; They Love Each Other [7:34] ; On The Road Again [3:32] > Beat It On Down The Line [3:22] ; West L.A. Fadeaway [7:17] ; Me And My Uncle [3:15] > Big River [5:39] ; Dupree's Diamond Blues [5:27] ; The Music Never Stopped [7:22] > Deal [6:32]

Two Throwing Stones [6:57] > Touch Of Grey [6:07] ; Estimated Prophet [11:34] > Eyes Of The World [10:03] > Drums [7:45] > Space [6:56] > Truckin' [6:54] > The Other One [8:22] > Morning Dew [9:44] > One More Saturday Night [4:43]

Encore U.S. Blues [5:04]

Venue Frost Amphitheatre - Stanford University

Location Palo Alto, CA

Date 10/10/82 - Sunday posters tickets, passes & laminates

One New Minglewood Blues [7:23] > Sugaree [10:11] > Little Red Rooster [7:35] ; Tennessee Jed [8:10] ; Cassidy [5:54] ; Loser [7:00] ; Far From Me [3:59] > Looks Like Rain [8:45] ; China Cat Sunflower [6:17] > I Know You Rider [5:32]

Two Playing In The Band > Crazy Fingers > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Touch Of Grey > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away > Black Peter > Sugar Magnolia

Encore (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [6:12] > It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

When I got into college in 1990, a kid on my floor had the tapes of one of the above shows. At this point, I did not have many tapes and I was a bit of newbie - When I was listening to the tapes I was surprised to hear Touch of Grey and Throwing Stones, since it was a 1982 show, of course as time went by and I started to figure out this was a pretty common practice for them.

Here is one of my favorite shows ever (at least the second set) and it is from 1982:

17 September 1982

Collection: GratefulDead

Band/Artist: Grateful Dead

Date: September 17, 1982 (check for other copies)

Venue: Cumberland County Civic Center

Disc 1 - Set 1

01 [06:20] Bertha >

02 [04:06] Promised Land

03 [06:23] Candyman >

04 [08:05] CC Rider

05 [07:36] Althea

06 [03:13] Me & My Uncle >

07 [05:32] Big River

08 [05:40] Dupree\'s >

09 [07:03] It\'s All Over Now

10 [07:31] West LA Fadeaway

11 [05:33] Throwing Stones > *

12 [05:39] Deal

TT [62:30]

Disc 2 - Set 2a

01 [06:51] Touch of Grey >

02 [06:16] Women Are Smarter

03 [07:23] High Time

04 [12:25] Estimated Prophet >

05 [08:48] Eyes of the World >

06 [06:56] Drums >

TT [48:40]

Disc 3 - Set 2b

01 [04:55] Space >

02 [02:35] Spanish Jam >

03 [07:03] The Other One>

04 [05:30] GDTRFB >

05 [08:45] Morning Dew >

06 [08:31] Sugar Magnolia

Encore

07 [05:07] US Blues

TT [42:39]

http://www.archive.org/details/MonteBarrygd73-06-09.AUD.fob.barry.flac

6/9/73-RFK

just stumbled upon this. just has a great mellow vibe with some good pics from taper. so cool. my mom was way pregnant with me at the time. time is weird.

checking out the 82 show now :-)

btw-should i go to furthur this summer?

the 6/9/73 show is one of my fav's....i drive by RFK every day coming home from work...i often think of that show when i drive by...even tho i was only 3 years old!

if we are talking 82, my first show and one of my favs

04-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct. (Sun)

1: Bertha> Promised, FOTD> C. C. Rider, Ramble On, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali, Althea> L. L. Rain, Big RxR Blues, Let It Grow

2: Cold Rain> Samson, Ship Of Fools, Playin> Eyes> Drumz> Phil's Earthquake Space> Other One> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydream

E: Don't Ease

And yes there was a time when hearing touch of grey was a pleasure-up to about 86.

What was so amazing to me was how into it the crowd was. They sang along with these songs (Touch and Throwing Stones) that hadn't even been released yet. Far out!

so true. we def pride ourselves in knowing every word and every song. it's just so weird to me that touch was being played in 82 and didn't come out until 87. had the boys recorded an album in 82 or 83 it would have been a much different album that what we got. hell, an album in 85 would have sounded so 80s. that would not have been good reverbing the shit out of mickey and billy:)

When I got into college in 1990, a kid on my floor had the tapes of one of the above shows. At this point, I did not have many tapes and I was a bit of newbie - When I was listening to the tapes I was surprised to hear Touch of Grey and Throwing Stones, since it was a 1982 show, of course as time went by and I started to figure out this was a pretty common practice for them.

i think those In the Dark tunes were played the longest before being recorded/released. good thing for Throwin'. that need some work.

yeah, college was great for getting tapes!

the 6/9/73 show is one of my fav's....i drive by RFK every day coming home from work...i often think of that show when i drive by...even tho i was only 3 years old!

when i think of RFK i always remember the casey jones bust out in the early 90s.

i think those In the Dark tunes were played the longest before being recorded/released. good thing for Throwin'. that need some work.

I guess that would make sense, I think the gap between Go To Heaven and In the Dark was their longest.

did anyone like the 'new' tunes near the end? i pretty much liked them all except samba in the rain. they played the shit out of those songs. early on i loved eternity>liberty first set closer. way to go home should have been in the first set. that would have killed as a closer after a bird song or let it grow. i remember phil's tunes in that era being fun. hell, it was nice phil was actually writing and singing something other than Box.

i remember there were all these rumors that they were sound checking cosmic charlie and weather report. damn, it was so fun keeping up with setlists. i've all but given that up with phish.

Yup, always loved the "unreleased album." One of these days I will put together a compilation for myself of the best of the takes available at archive.org. The tunes I liked best are So Many Roads, Lazy River Road, and Liberty. The version of Lazy River Road that made the box set is too slow for my liking. Live it was always fun and bouncy.

I really liked So Many Roads. There weren't too many exceptional versions due to jerry's health. It is a great song to play on accoustic as well...

yeah, to me so many roads was the last great garcia/hunter tune. great lyrics and song. i remember really loving the bob/jerry harmonies on the verses. i really wish there was a good version.

i assume the unreleased album would have been called 'so many roads'. i really wish they had gotten some good studio takes and put the album out. would've been so cool.

possible tracks:

corrina

easy answers

eternity

lazy river road

so many roads

days between

samba in the rain

way to go home

wave to the wind

if the shoe fits

childhood's end

what am i missing? anyone want to take a crack at possible track order. i assume the album would end with so many roads. i have no idea what the opener would be...Lberty?

Isn't that what the bootleg Earthquake Country is suppose to be?

Grateful Dead – Earthquake Country

01. If the Shoe Fits (1994-07-02)

02. Lazy River Road (1995-03-26)

03. Eternity (1995-03-26)

04. Liberty (1993-03-25)

05. Way to Go Home (1995-03-27)

06. Wave to the Wind (1993-05-29)

07. So Many Roads (1995-03-27)

08. Corrina > Days Between (1994-07-03)

taking my first dip in the furthur pool saturday at the mann.

hearing so much good buzz and listening to some nice boots, too.

all in, looking forward to seeing some old friends, too.

Isn't that what the bootleg Earthquake Country is suppose to be?

yeah, i forgot about that. it's missing a few tunes though. there was a studio outtake boot out there at one point.

I always enjoyed Corrina and Eternity. I often listen to the Disk 5 of the So Many Roads set, I guess they could have thrown some more of the new unreleased songs in the set. But I'm guessing, perhaps their last songs did not hold up to those on the rest of the set.

I always enjoyed Corrina and Eternity. I often listen to the Disk 5 of the So Many Roads set, I guess they could have thrown some more of the new unreleased songs in the set. But I'm guessing, perhaps their last songs did not hold up to those on the rest of the set.

i found a so called outtakes collection from so many roads. wave studio is on there. that eternity is great on smr. love jerry's tone on that one.

Listening to another audience show this weekend - 6.24.70. Someone uploaded all the sources (including the NRPS sets) - what a long day/night that must of been. Garcia's pedal steel is pretty prominent during the New Rider's sets.

taking my first dip in the furthur pool saturday at the mann.

hearing so much good buzz and listening to some nice boots, too.

all in, looking forward to seeing some old friends, too.

Did you make it to the show?

Did you make it to the show?

did we ever! it was HOT, the crowd was great, and the band was absolutely fantastic.

and we even pulled the "can't find my car" for old times sake!

mann staff and concessions were understaffed, but oh well.

"caddyshack" played quite well, bobby was in great voice and phil was phil (my favorite). chimenti is also stretching out.

great show - highlights for me - Greatest story, Quinn (set closer), shakedown (set II opener) help-slip-frank, and double encore: fool in the rain/ omsn.

wow thats alot of highlights!!

did we ever! it was HOT, the crowd was great, and the band was absolutely fantastic.

and we even pulled the "can't find my car" for old times sake!

mann staff and concessions were understaffed, but oh well.

"caddyshack" played quite well, bobby was in great voice and phil was phil (my favorite). chimenti is also stretching out.

great show - highlights for me - Greatest story, Quinn (set closer), shakedown (set II opener) help-slip-frank, and double encore: fool in the rain/ omsn.

wow thats alot of highlights!!

i went to furthur last night. i left early, if that says anything. the little parking lot scene was cool. it was nice to hear phil and bob. also cool to hear the entire terrapin suite. but everything was played so slow and the darkstar dude is essentially a nonentity. he's so low in the mix and so hesitant to play solos. kind of frustrating. yeah, the dead were mellow, but they also had energy and magic. furthur missing that. go figure, jerry garcia is not around. he is sorely missed. it was tangible in the lot.