• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a huge fan of the new artwork. Vol. 2 just came out.

gd-e72-vol2-cover-300x300.jpg

yes, unfortunately it looks like a digital picture, not a real painting. too bad. i'm fine with a steal your face on every release from here on out.

I did the Fall 1972 reviews for the compendium and various other shows...in my opinion fall 1972 was much better than the europe 72 tour...9.17.1972 Other One...9.28.1972 Other One...9.27.1972 Dark Star...11.18.1972 PITB...12.15.1972 Dark Star...12.11.1972 Dark Star...12.31.1972 Other One....etc.

That is cool - need to look through the Fall 72 reviews again.

I am so confused on the 72 stuff that is available. I already own "stepping out" but have not idea what to get next. I would have like to get that all inclusive 72 set but since that didn't happen, is there a way to get a complete set of 72 shows by buying them seperately? Or am I going to end up with a lot of duplicate stuff?

I believe the deal is - all the shows that were in the big expensive boxset are now all coming at separately. There is also the Europe '72 Volume 2 cd - which is a companion piece to the original Europe '72. This is not to be confused with the Europe '72 that was in The Golden Road boxset - which contains bonus tracks that were not on the original Europe '72 release. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

part of what made brent great was that he played a real piano and hammond organ. brent's tunes were pretty bad at the end, but they were so fun to hear mixing up the first set.

I agree about Brent on the Hammond, it sounded fantastic and he was really a strong player on it. His electric piano sounds in the late 80s got a little bit too synthetic, IMO. Imagine if he had played a Fender Rhodes and/or an acoustic piano instead. I also don't care for We Can Run or Just A Little Light or I Will Take You Home, but his blues stuff was good. I liked it when he took a verse in Little Red Rooster and his f-bomb in Good Times Blues (Never Trust A Woman) always makes me smile. Tons of Steel, to me, is far and away his best song. Too bad it dropped out of the rotation so fast.

As for Vince R.I.P., I'm sorry, but his presence in the band was musically a complete disaster in every way. I have no idea why they hired him . I saw many killer shows with Hornsby, Arizona in Dec 1990 was fantastic and he rocked it hard. The Dead in the post-Brent era without Hornsby was a real disappointment to me.

I believe the deal is - all the shows that were in the big expensive boxset are now all coming at separately. There is also the Europe '72 Volume 2 cd - which is a companion piece to the original Europe '72. This is not to be confused with the Europe '72 that was in The Golden Road boxset - which contains bonus tracks that were not on the original Europe '72 release. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Were the Europe 72 bonus tracks in the Golden Road box set just straight SBDs remixed or were there lots of studio overdubs like on the original Europe 72. I consider Europe 72 one the Dead's best studio albums! :D

Were the Europe 72 bonus tracks in the Golden Road box set just straight SBDs remixed or were there lots of studio overdubs like on the original Europe 72. I consider Europe 72 one the Dead's best studio albums! :D

I think they are from multi-track tapes that were used to make the original album.

Or they are from the SBD - as I guess a lot of the original tapes were overdubbed when they were working on the album.

? bertha is not on Europe 72.

I know, it was a typo. I was so excited I forgot to add the Vol. 2 bit. I've listened to all of disc 1 thus far. This is probably one of the best mixes of a dead live set I've heard and the performances are great, strong performances.

Speaking of tapes, Blair Jackson's latest blog post is a nice read.

http://dead.net/feat...ye-my-cassettes

Still, that website [archive.org] has allowed me to hear any Dead show I care to, and has been an invaluable aid to the research I’ve had to do for books, stories or liner notes I’ve written though the years.

He should have added, "until the the cd with my liner notes I wrote were actually released."

I know when we started the process with archive.org that the Garcia et al stuff was to be there too (I was assisting but not a main player)...I think IP issues may have gotten in the way? who knows...still, archive.org is fantastic...

I wish the Wilco shows were as maintained as the Grateful Dead shows at etree in terms of shn/flac ids.

I know when we started the process with archive.org that the Garcia et al stuff was to be there too (I was assisting but not a main player)...I think IP issues may have gotten in the way? who knows...still, archive.org is fantastic...

I wish the Wilco shows were as maintained as the Grateful Dead shows at etree in terms of shn/flac ids.

We tried to get Wilco on archive.org. The band said no. That is why we built The Wilco Archive.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Europe '72 today. I had to decide between that and Pearl Jam 20. But the Grateful Dead was on sale for 10 bucks. It started off with Bertha so it's already off to a great start. I might pick up some of the individual shows along the way.

$10 is a great deal. I was about to pay $22 for it at Barnes and Noble but it rang up at $15.99.

How much of Europe 72 was overdubbed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe_%2772

Although Europe '72 is billed as a live album, the songs featured on the release were subject to significant overdubs after the fact, specifically with respect to the lush harmony vocals.[4] Unadulterated multitrack recordings of the performances used for the album are no longer available (because they were simply snipped from the multitrack concert tapes whereupon the band overdubbed directly onto them, destroying the originals) but, for example, the available two-track soundboard recording of the May 10, 1972 show indicates the band had not yet figured out the vocal arrangements for "He's Gone" that would later be overdubbed in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Europe_%2772

Although Europe '72 is billed as a live album, the songs featured on the release were subject to significant overdubs after the fact, specifically with respect to the lush harmony vocals.[4] Unadulterated multitrack recordings of the performances used for the album are no longer available (because they were simply snipped from the multitrack concert tapes whereupon the band overdubbed directly onto them, destroying the originals) but, for example, the available two-track soundboard recording of the May 10, 1972 show indicates the band had not yet figured out the vocal arrangements for "He's Gone" that would later be overdubbed in the United States.

that's funny...hadn't figured out he's gone:)

i like to wonder about the studio album that would have been if Europe hadn't come out. Jack Straw, BE Women, Ramble...would've been a classic. that being said, E'72 basically was a studio album. this is such a weird time for the band. donna and keith were on this tour, i think. if not, donna overdubbed. pig died shortly after this tour and the band played as a four piece for at least a few shows, right? the other amazing thing about this period is that less than a year and a half before, the band was playing dark star, cryptical every night, now they had a shit load of amazing songs. that seems to be the process with the great bands out there. a short period early in the career where songs just fall right out. neil young, dylan, etc come to mind. just amazing to me as a songwriter.

i like to wonder about the studio album that would have been if Europe hadn't come out. Jack Straw, BE Women, Ramble...would've been a classic.

I remember reading that Hunter was disappointed that those songs did not get the full studio album treatment.

October 19, 1971 through October 20, 1974 - the band had one drummer. They still played Dark Star / Other One but switched it night to night (mainly). Playin' In the Band was typically a 2 out 3 nights first set closer. In my opinion, this was the peak of band's improvisational abilities. 1977 still gets a lot of rave from people but I find it to be a bit too tight for me.

There was a 1972 studio album - Ace...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_%28Bob_Weir_album%29

You know Ive had this stupid idea for awhile.

I wanted to give Jeff Tweedy and band the Great American Music Hall show and tell them just to check the first 4 songs. Letting them know that these had never been played before live. First time ever. Especially Help>Slip.

I think this might convert them. Whadya think??

Of course the other great studio album from this period is Bob Weir's "Ace". I think it's my favourite Non-Dead/Grateful Dead record, closely followed by "Garcia".

Black Throated Wind is one of the most sublime songs they ever did.

Of course the other great studio album from this period is Bob Weir's "Ace". I think it's my favourite Non-Dead/Grateful Dead record, closely followed by "Garcia".

Not for nothing, but Billy, Jerry, Phil, Keith and Donna all contributed on "Ace," which may help explain why it is a good album :).

I LOVE the studio version of Playin' In The Band from Ace. Its like a perfectly distilled elixir balancing the exploratory jamming with a studio tightness, not too long and not too short. Of course, I like the deeply spacey freakouts they did on this tune live, but I've always felt this Playin' (and a lot of Ace) is some of the finest studio performances the Dead ever did.

right...it was all overdubbed...one easy way to tell is by listening to the harmonies - the band always harmonized well, but _never_ as good as they sounded on E72....

So that still leaves my question: Does Europe 72 Vol. 2 have overdubbed vocals or are the vocals from the actual performances? They are sounding pretty damn good on Sing Me Back Home!