Pitchers and catchers report!

Interesting season ahead! Will there be more top prospects making an impact this season? Will last years rookies keep up their progress? Will they regress? Will each teams' Hot Stove plans work out or blow up? And will the Albert Pujols contract situation become a season-long St. Louis soap opera, or will the two sides work it out?

In the NL, the Phillies appear to be the only dominant team, but it's baseball and anything can happen. The Braves and Marlins look competitive. The Nationals look a little better, but may only surpass the Mets in the East. The Reds still have strength in pitching, but the central is always tight. The Astros played very well in the remaining weeks of 2010, but can they compete with the deeper teams of the Cardinals, Brewers and Cubs? The West has no dominant team, but the Giants still have that dominant rotation. It may be enough, unless the Dodgers, under rookie manager Don Mattingly, take a major step forward. The Rockies have proven to be a team to never overlook.

The Red Sox appear to be the team to beat in the AL after a stellar off season of All Star acquisitions. The Yankees didn't do much in the Hot Stove, except sign a closer to set up Mariano Rivera. The Rays lost their bullpen and more, but still have a quality rotation that should keep them at least hopeful if not competitive. The Blue Jays are always tough and the Orioles have much to look forward to with Buck Schowalter entenched as manager. The Central could be a three way war between the Twins, Tigers and White Sox. The Indians might improve, but not enough to compete. The AL West is interesting as no team stands out. The Rangers lost out on Cliff Lee, let Vladimir Guerrero go, and may soon have to trade the unhappy Michael Young, so they're relying on newcomer Adrian Beltre and a young pitching corps to get them back to the post season. They'll face stiff competition from the Angels, who are counting on a return to health from key players, especially Kendry Morales. Not to be overlooked are the A's, who made several moves that may provide enough depth to land themselves in the playoffs.

The key to any season is usually health and the depth to overcome injuries. Solid bullpens are also a common difference maker. No matter what teams look like on paper, it's usually factors such as these that determines who plays in October.

Play Ball!

P.S. The Collective Bargaining Agreement expires after the season.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They buy 3 million tickets every year. I don't think it's their job to fundraise.

Yeah, that was for the most part a joke. Although, it is quite upsetting that I can think of one team that has the money to sign him, but nowhere to put him. Or a few teams come to mind with the same problem.

$300 million for 10 years?!?! Good luck on that Albert. I'm assuming an AL team will take the risk of him not getting hurt and then swapping him over to DH towards the end of his career. 10 years down the road he will be 41.

I don't know. This whole thing could put their whole clubhouse into somewhat "bad blood" mode.

Adam Wainwright has a serious elbow injury, and may need TJ surgery and miss the entire season.

Wainwright will indeed have TJ surgery next week and will not pitch in 2011, therefore his vesting options will not kick in. If Carpenter goes down again, Pujols may be begging to be traded by the All Star break.

Wainwright will indeed have TJ surgery next week and will not pitch in 2011, therefore his vesting options will not kick in. If Carpenter goes down again, Pujols may be begging to be traded by the All Star break.

Which, I think, would be good for the Cardinals. They should get a lot for him. I don't the particulars of his contracts, though. At least it would be better than loosing him to free agency.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else watching MLB Network's amazing 30 Clubs in 30 Days?

My best advice is to try and watch a couple of episodes a night or watch one a day if you can. It's extremely helpful to remember who went where and who left there etc.

AND it's an excellent resource to get ready for Fantasy Baseball. I already know a lot about ball players, but I love their segment on a specific team's farm system.

Some things that they educated me on:

Arizona - They have a pretty damn decent looking pitching staff on paper: Joe Saunders, Ian Kennedy, Zach Duke, Daniel Hudson & Armando Galaragga. Not the best, but a bit better than the Rockies who MLB picked to win the NL West. Also, J.J. Putz as closer isn't a sure bet, but it's nice that they have a closer a bit more dependable than the last one. Justin Upton & Chris Young are a great young duo. I like their 2011 look.

Colorado - Other than Ubaldo Jimenez, the Rockies pitching staff doesn't do much for me at all. Chacin, Cook, & Hammel aren't really .500 pitchers (especially last year). And I don't know enough about Jorge De La Rosa, but he did have a slightly better record (8-7) than the other 3 to make him their #2. It'll be interesting to see where they play Ty Wigginton. Edit: Yeah, I just don't see this team winning their division.

Texas Rangers - I really like them again to repeat in the AL West, although it still should definitely be a 3 team race with the Angels and A's thrown into the mix. I don't think Dave Bush & Brandon Webb are a sure thing to be on the back end of the rotation. And Ron Washington please don't make Neftali Feliz start ball games for you. Please don't fuck up a good thing. It'll be interesting to see how well Adrian Beltre performs on a non-contract year. And I love C.J. Wilson, Colby Lewis, & Tommy Hunter as the main core of Texas' pitching staff.

Kansas City Royals - I didn't remember Jeff Francouer coming here. Same for Jeff Francis. The big thing that they harped on was how much better this team is going to be over the next decade beginning in 2012 when their top prospects come up. They lost Greinke, Meche & Bannister, so the pitching is definitely up in the air. Luke Hochevar as your ace is a bit of a big risk. They also had huge boners over Vin Mazzaro who they expect to make a big impact in the pitching staff.