It is amazing that the strength of this club is the starting pitching...all 5 starters with 12 or more wins. CJ has become a true #1 rotation guy.

One can only imagine what this rotation and team would look like if Cliff Lee had resigned here. But it may have been the best thing for this club that he didn't.

And now that the Rangers are back in the money and not afraid to spend it, I'm wondering if there might be a Pujols or Fielder in our future.

I would rather use any money designated for one of those guys on starting pitching. I can't remember who, but someone came out and stated they were happy going forward with Moreland at 1B. I would really like to re-sign CJ, but his price just keeps getting higher and there are rumors of him not being well-liked in the clubhouse. Not sure if those are accurate, though. It would surprise me a little. Of course, he may not want to come back anyway. You never know.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now that the Rangers are back in the money and not afraid to spend it, I'm wondering if there might be a Pujols or Fielder in our future.

You don't want either one of those guys guarenteed for 7 years, do you? Fielder's father was done by age 36, and Prince is built like Mo Vaughn. I pity the fools that go beyond 5 years for him. I'd imagine C.J. Wilson is going to demand quite a paycheck this offseason, and the youngsters will be getting raises every year for a while. I can see a run at a Berkman, 2 year deal or a Heath Bell, 4 year or a K-Rod, 2 or 3 year deal. Too bad there's not enough good catchers to go around. Texas is one of several teams in need of an upgrade there.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/2012-mlb-free-agents.html

Free agent list for the upcoming offseason. Looks like a used car lot: couple of Escalades (Pujols, Fielder, Reyes); old reliables (Cuddyer, Berkman); and a sturdy truck (Big Papi). The strongest position is closer, but only if options aren't picked up.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange, bizarre news coming out of Chicago's South Side. It appears that Ozzie Guillen has managed his last game with the White Sox tonight with 2 games left in the season to start managing the Marlins next season where Jack McKeon retired from earlier today.

Guillen's comments: “F--- more years. I want more money,’’ Guillen said. “I don’t work here for years. No, I want more money. Years, what, I’m going to die poor with the White Sox? Hell, no. Listen this is my job. It’s the only thing I can do. I have to make money out of somewhere. I’m not a doctor or a lawyer, where you’ll have a job for the rest of your life. Life is about money. People don’t believe that. People are happy after they make money, f--- it.’’

The idea of going to Florida was asked of Guillen, and he pointed out that he’s never said that he wanted to be traded to Florida.

“You never hear me talk about that,’’ Guillen said. “You never did. Did I ever say I wanted the Marlins out of my mouth? No, that’s their problem. If they want me, they should. F--- it, I’m bad, I’m good at what I do. They should. Everybody can want me, but it’s one thing if they can get me. It’s not easy like, ‘OK I’m going to get you and you’re going to come here.’ No it’s a process.’’

I don't know. It's a damn shame that Ozzie can't finish out the whole season with 2 games remaining. It shows a lack of class and respect. Not to mention, I would think it looks bad to the Marlins who have to know what they are getting into with someone with his personality. He couldn't wait 2 more days?!

I like Guillen, but the whole drama thing did get old. Crappy way for it to end, but very Guillen/Williams like.

I don't think Williams is gone - perhaps he may get bumped into a different spot in the front office.

LaRussa coming back would be great.

Quite a coup for the White Sox -- they got 2 high upside prospects for a manager they would have let go for nothing.

Anyway, the Tigers will be playing Friday, and the Twins have a chance to lose their 100th game tonight. What a great baseball season. Can't wait for the playoffs.

I know the Red Sox fans here are very disappointed, but what a great last month of the season. The drama of the races was unparalleled.

The epic collapse of the Sox and the Braves was shocking, but, give 'em their props: The Cards and the Rays did their job on the field.

The 2011 Rays are a remarkable story. They were gutted after last season. Remember the press conference earlier this year? The big story for the Rays? Signing Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon.

LOL

After watching the Phillies last year and the Giants this year, I think I would recommend any major league club to seriously avoid the reality show following your team and win it.

Plus, do you think we can now turn on the MLB network or a major league game and not see Brian Wilson and his stupid shit act?

NY Times article about the statistical improbabilities of the Red Sox / Rays madness.

Bill Buckner Strikes Again - NYTimes.com

-The Red Sox had just a 0.3 percent chance of failing to make the playoffs on Sept. 3.

-The Rays had just a 0.3 percent chance of coming back after trailing 7-0 with two innings to play.

-The Red Sox had only about a 2 percent chance of losing their game against Baltimore, when the Orioles were down to their last strike.

-The Rays had about a 2 percent chance of winning in the bottom of the 9th, with Johnson also down to his last strike.

What a great ending. Was in NY at the end of July, and Yank fans were despondent. The Red Sox hadthe division wrapped, and they were dominating the Yankees. The talk was all about how to take command of the wild card. 98.7% chance of making the playoffs, and an 8 run comeback combined with a 9th inning walk off ends Boston's run. Couldn't script this. And while this is going on I am ignoring the Braves collapse in the NL. It is a reminder that baseball, no matter how sick of it I get when the Cubs and sox are out of it. Except for that punk Jose Reyes. Ted Williams head is spinning in the chryonic chamber.

It's too bad if it is true (and it certainly appears to be what's happening).

Overall I think he's done a great job. But when you fold like that, someone's got to take the blame.

They got somebody better available? So far they're deciding not to decide. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Tito, but I'm guessing he's doubting if he wants to stay.