• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official, Francona wanted out and is free to go. I bet Bobby V. has a great big boner for Tito's old job, and I wonder if the Nationals are now not as keen on keeping Davey Johnson around for another season.

Please, please, please do not mention Bobby V. in reference to the Red Sox manager's job. Valentine is a tool, in my opinion. There are so many people who would be better for the job. You, for instance, High Heat. Or anyone else who posts on this board.

Please, please, please do not mention Bobby V. in reference to the Red Sox manager's job. Valentine is a tool, in my opinion. There are so many people who would be better for the job. You, for instance, High Heat. Or anyone else who posts on this board.

Ok. If it'll take me taking the job to keep Bobbi V. out of Boston, I'll do it. You want to play right field?

Ok. If it'll take me taking the job to keep Bobbi V. out of Boston, I'll do it. You want to play right field?

i will coach third if you promise to trade me for the bullpen coach in philly - biltmyer.

I find myself in the awkward position of rooting for the Yankees tonight.

I don't want to see the Rangers face Detroit. It is a horrible matchup for the boys from Arlington.

I don't want to see the Rangers face Detroit. It is a horrible matchup for the boys from Arlington.

If you need to face specific teams in order to reach the World Series, you don't belong in the World Series.

In my most humblest opinion.

If you need to face specific teams in order to reach the World Series, you don't belong in the World Series.

In my most humblest opinion.

I don't think the Rangers care who they face.

Tribune states:

Former Chicago White Sox All-Star Robin Ventura was named Thursday to succeed Ozzie Guillen as manager, the team announced.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-name-ventura-to-succeed-guillen-as-manager-20111006,0,2120262.story

Well this should be interesting. I don't even remember seeing his name being batted around.

Tribune states:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-name-ventura-to-succeed-guillen-as-manager-20111006,0,2120262.story

Well this should be interesting. I don't even remember seeing his name being batted around.

They must be super high on Ventura if they didn't even want to talk to Francona or any other candidate. I guess this is the Kirk Gibson hiring philosophy, but at least Gibson coached for awhile. Still, I think Ventura already is better than Mattingly.

But it's the one you are going to get! GO TIGERS!!!!!

They must be super high on Ventura if they didn't even want to talk to Francona or any other candidate. I guess this is the Kirk Gibson hiring philosophy, but at least Gibson coached for awhile. Still, I think Ventura already is better than Mattingly.

I was kinda hoping for Dave Martinez, he seemed like a good choice. Ventura was one of my favorite Sox players, so he has that going for him, but someone without any Sox ties might of been a better choice - he definitely is going to be the polar opposite of Ozzie, but I think anyone would of.

Hopefully Ventura works out.

So last season Ryan Howard struck out looking to end the NLCS and this year he weakly chops out to end the NLDS, injuring his Achilles while doing so. His new 5 year/$125M contract begins next season at the age of 32. J-Roll is a FA and wants a five year deal, which I would hope no one is foolish enough to provide. I hope the Phillies are looking at the Cubs and understanding what committing to a multitude of long-term contracts for veterans does for an ability to be flexible enough to stay in continual contention. With no more top prospects left in their system the Phils could be a mess 2/3 years from now.

Typical...Texas has been in an Extreme drought situation for almost a year, and we get torrential rain in game 1 of the ALCS.

Took my son to game two yesterday. The Rangers' bullpen is money this year. And with Nellie Cruz getting his stroke back, this could be a special October for the boys from Arlington.

Took my son to game two yesterday. The Rangers' bullpen is money this year. And with Nellie Cruz getting his stroke back, this could be a special October for the boys from Arlington.

would love to see a Brewers Rangers World Series.

It would have a bit of a story. Doug Melvin was the Rangers' GM in their first brush with glory in the 90's, and the Rangers got Nellie Cruz as a add on in the Carlos Lee trade.

I used to be a huge Brewers fan (from 78-82). It would be nice to see these two earnest franchises face each other in the Series.

Nellie Cruz is heating up. He hits home runs in bunches when he gets hot. Beltre is hot. Napoli has been hot. If Hamilton and Young find their stroke...watch out.

It would be nice to see either one of those teams off the no-WS-win list. The Rangers are defintely the strongest team left in the mix. I find it no coincidence that all four teams have strength and depth in their bullpens. It's a vital part to any championship team.

Yesterday was one of the coolest days I have had. It beat game three of the 2010 World Series by a mile.

I managed to score two tickets on the club level for $20 over the $100 face price for each. There were people around me (including a couple rooting for the Tigers) who paid up to $600 per ticket.

Holland was struggling and barely escaped the first two innings and after his shakey first, Scherzer was dealing.

Feldman came up large in relief and Ogonda continues to impress. Two starters in the pen bring the deal. The Rangers bullpen has been money since they added Adams, Uehara and Gonzalez at the deadline.

When the Rangers loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth, I thought Valverde was going to get his first blown save of the year. Good D by the Tigers put an end to that. Both Valverde and Feliz brought the cheese and kept the game tied. Adams came in and got through the 11th.

We thought Beltre had ended the game with his double in the ninth. A couple of feet to the right and it would have been gone (there is a wall change there). When the Rangers hit three straight singles in the eleventh, I told my son that we needed somebody to step up and be a hero. And by God, Cruz rose to the occassion.

That stadium after the homerun was the loudest single moment I have experienced that didn't involve electric guitars and Marshall stacks.

The Sox have not won a playoff game since 2008. It's probably time for a change. Thanks for the two championships, Theo. Good luck with the Cubbies. Chicago's compensation to Boston should be taking on Jon Lackey and his miserable contract. I can see Francona ending up as the Cubs next manager as well.

Theo Epstein "on brink" of joining Cubs ...

http://www.bostonher...33&pos=breaking

It would be a hell of a challenge, why would a young guy like him not take it.

Speaking of the Cubs (and to a lesser extent the Red Sox), anybody catch the ESPN documentary on Bartman? I thought it was well done.

Moises Alou definitely would have caught the ball, but I think he still looked a complete dick/baby right after the play. The footage from within stands that ESPN showed was great and pretty scary.

The bit with Buckner in the documentary was okay, there was definitely a Red Sox/Cubs similarity at the time, so I guess the whole scapegoat angle works.