• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accusing Terry Francona of having a prescription drug problem is pretty fucking offensive.

Agreed. I can handle an article about the players being spoiled overpaid slackers but the Francona stuff in the article was just wrong.

Curt Schilling was on ESPN tonight ripping the Sox ownership for throwing Francona under the bus.

Think Leland wants a redo on walking Beltre to pitch to Napoli?

Nelson Cruz is becoming a superstar with his performance in this series. Four Home Runs and two game winning hits.

Quite a coup for the White Sox -- they got 2 high upside prospects for a manager they would have let go for nothing.-

Eh.

The White Sox definitely got the better Ozzie, but not by much. If he's more than a utility player, they should be thrilled.

And Marinez has a huge arm and huge control problems. If he figures it out, he's an 8th inning guy. If not, he's not a major leaguer.

I wasn't thrilled about the deal, but I understand why we did it. I don't think either are exactly what would accurately be described as "high upside prospects," though. If there's one thing the Marlins could afford to let go of, it was hard throwing right handed relievers.

I wasn't thrilled about the deal, but I understand why we did it. I don't think either are exactly what would accurately be described as "high upside prospects," though. If there's one thing the Marlins could afford to let go of, it was hard throwing right handed relievers.

I think you work for the newspaper down there, right? If that is the case, you should be extremely happy is heading to Miami. For better or worse, he is going to fill up the sporting page.

Of course, I think you were not thrilled about the deal, not necessarily about the hiring of Guillen.

I think you work for the newspaper down there, right? If that is the case, you should be extremely happy is heading to Miami. For better or worse, he is going to fill up the sporting page.

Of course, I think you were not thrilled about the deal, not necessarily about the hiring of Guillen.

Oh yeah, he's a boon for sports coverage down here, which is why I get why the Marlins did the deal. They need to make a splash, and Ozzie does that.

Also, Venezuelans are the fastest growing Hispanic group in South Florida, and a large portion of them are very wealthy. If he can help the Marlins tap into that demographic, it could be huge.

The reason I'm not thrilled is because I don't think managers have a large impact on the game itself, so I don't like trading players for a manager. But given the off field stuff, I get why the Marlins did it.

The reason I'm not thrilled is because I don't think managers have a large impact on the game itself, so I don't like trading players for a manager. But given the off field stuff, I get why the Marlins did it.

I think some managers have more impact than others. I am not a big fan of trading players for managers, either. That being said I am glad the Sox received some for Guillen.

I'm pretty sure Zambrano is going to end up down there, too. However, I am not sure of the stipulations of Cubs/Zambrano's contract.

Babe Cruz strikes again! Rangers back to the Series.

The scary thing is that Hamilton, Beltre and Napoli were REALLY cold this series.

I know it's not fair to bring this up, and I know the reasons why he made the choice he did, but do you think Cliff Lee would like a redo?

Well, it's probably fair to say that the Rangers at the least don't sign Beltre, and quite possibly are more agressive in moving Young if they did re-sign Lee, so I'm not sure it's a question worth asking.

The Rangers don't sign Beltre, Young wouldn't have made the trade demand. And, with the new ownership group, there was money to do both the Lee and Beltre deals.

Obviously you know the team better than I do, But I doubt even the new ownership group would have been willing to;

A- Spend $200 million plus in one offseason for 5 years of two players, and

B- Bump payroll from last year's up to $103 million, with Lee also schedule to make $109 million over the final 4 years of the contract.

That's an outrageous amount of money to spend in one offseason. I have my doubts that they sign both in that scenario.

Obviously you know the team better than I do, But I doubt even the new ownership group would have been willing to;

A- Spend $200 million plus in one offseason for 5 years of two players, and

B- Bump payroll from last year's up to $103 million, with Lee also schedule to make $109 million over the final 4 years of the contract.

That's an outrageous amount of money to spend in one offseason. I have my doubts that they sign both in that scenario.

A new day for sure. It probably was an either or proposition, and, in retrospect, it worked out well.

Eventually, the Rangers are going to have to pony up for pitching. But maybe not this year. They have CJ Wilson going into Free Agency; however, Feldman is healthy (he was a 17 game winner in 2009) and there is talk, once again of moving Feliz to the starting rotation. With the success of Ogando in the rotation, maybe they can catch lightening in a bottle again.

For once, this team actually has a wealth of pitching and multiple options.

The scary thing is that Hamilton, Beltre and Napoli were REALLY cold this series.

I know it's not fair to bring this up, and I know the reasons why he made the choice he did, but do you think Cliff Lee would like a redo?

Hamilton hit .308 for the series with 4 doubles and 5 RBIs on a bad groin.

Hamilton hit .308 for the series with 4 doubles and 5 RBIs on a bad groin.

I thought about that right after I wrote it. But I stand by it. Hamilton isn't paid to be a doubles hitter. He's a middle of the order guy with all that entails.

I thought about that right after I wrote it. But I stand by it. Hamilton isn't paid to be a doubles hitter. He's a middle of the order guy with all that entails.

I disagree completely. Middle of the order is just supposed to drive in runs. He doesn't have to hit home runs in order to do that.

Guys on base means pressure on the defense and in the pitcher's head. Unless I really, really need that run, I'd say a double or a homer are of pretty much equal value. In your big innings, homers are more likely the period, while doubles are commas.

Guys on base means pressure on the defense and in the pitcher's head. Unless I really, really need that run, I'd say a double or a homer are of pretty much equal value. In your big innings, homers are more likely the period, while doubles are commas.

Exactly. The Rangers did not hit a home run in their 9-run third inning Saturday night.

It's really obvious that Hamilton's groin strain is affecting him at the plate. Every time he swings and misses, he's doing the awkward grabbing of his strained groin and grimmacing

Defensively, he's not missing a beat.

But Hamilton and YOung are really struggling in the middle of the lineup.

http://espn.go.com/c...tein-thursday

Epstein to Cubs could be announced tomorrow. Padres GM Jed Hoyer is slated to become his GM in Chicago.

This could be low-hanging fruit, but there's got to be a better way to discuss a baseball hire/negotiation than to say:

""The two sides are on the 5-yard line.'"

Still America's game?

Any Padres' fans out there - I wonder what your take on this is?