Sure, but it's not totally outrageous given that Sabathia gets $24M, Johan Santana gets $21.6M, Zambrano gets $18.8M, and Zito gets $18.5M.

They were all free agents, except Zambrano. More comparable is Verlander, who has better stats and will make $20M in 2012. I think the Giants will "win" their arbitration offer of $17M to Lincecum. He should not get paid more than a 24 game winner, Cy & MVP, non-pot smoker.

I think better options for Tigers DH could be Ibanez, a FA, or trading for Bobby Abreu, the odd man out on the Angels.

For whatever reason, the Astros are going to sign Jack Cust for two years. They won't need a DH until 2013, and this guy is done anyway. If Cust gets a two year contract, Vlady ought to get five!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Yu is signed, dare I think about the possibility of also adding Prince?

I hear conflicting things.

A couple of days ago, somebody told me (and apparently also Evan Grant) that it would either be Darvish and Moreland or Fielder and Oswalt.

If the Rangers do pull off a deal to bring Fielder here, then the epicenter of baseball will officially move to DFW .. (just speaking in my usual hyperbolic mode here...)

But if the Rangers decide to sign Fielder, than Hamilton will probably be gone. And even with his history of injuries over the last three years, Hamilton is a player who can change the game with any and all of his Five tools. Fielder can probably hit 50 or more Home Runs with the Home Run Porch and the lineup protection, but can he handle the 105 degree August nights here?.

Thing is, I don't think the Rangers can really afford to stand pat with the lineup. Heye probably need to see if Martin can handle CF in the bigs. Hamilton will not play more than 20 games in CF until the playoffs. I think there will be some other move comnig, I'm just not sure what.

It appears that Olt will be the eventual replacement for Beltre. And if Profar continues to improve like he did last year, the Rangers could be in a real good position to either trade him for any pressing need OR move him to the bigs and possibly move Adrus.

Things are really looking for for the long term in Arlington.

I love Josh, but I would rather sign Prince than keep Josh if it's an either/or proposition (which it undoubtedly is).

I really like Josh Hamilton, but there is so much risk in signing him to a lucrative long-term deal - health or his other issues. Fielder has been very durable so far. To me it is a no-brainer, go with Fielder. Next up is Nelson Cruz. Does he get a superstar salaried long-term deal with his injury issues?

I really like Josh Hamilton, but there is so much risk in signing him to a lucrative long-term deal - health or his other issues. Fielder has been very durable so far. To me it is a no-brainer, go with Fielder. Next up is Nelson Cruz. Does he get a superstar salaried long-term deal with his injury issues?

Daniel and Ryan seem to be singularly focused on making deals that are good for the long term. I'm not sure signing Hamilton and Cruz to LONG TERM, BIG MONEY deals are good for the future health of the club.

Cruz needs to work on his conditioning and his leg strength. He's in his early 30's, so I'm not sure I would offer him a long term deal

It's interesting that Hamilton's past issues are always cited directly or indirectly when he has missed ZERO games to substance abuse related issues since his return to the game. Hamilton has suffered his injuries because of his style of play...he goes all out all the time.

It is a concern...can Hamilton give you another 140 game season (like 2010) or will he wreck a shoulder or a knee going into the wall for a ball. The hernia was an odd injury, but it is probably attributable to his style of play. But Hamilton's presence and worth in the middle of the lineup CANNOT be understated.

The Ranges also have Ian Kinsler facing an option year after 2012 and Napoli up for free agency...(meaning they have another hard decision to make on a couple of really good player in their early 30's).

If Hamilton hits the free agency lists next year, he and Robinson Cano will be the kings of the hill.

Fielder to Detroit for 9 years/$214 million:

http://content.usato...s-214-million/1

This makes the Nationals signing of Jayson Werth last off-season look even worse. They signed him as an indication to upcoming top free agents that the Nationals were serious about spending the money to win. Werth was supposed to be a guy to slide into the five or six slot when they signed true stars like Fielder. This is really the player that Washington should have added this off-season, but they let it drag out and he went to Detroit. I can understand not wanting to go nine years on a player, but once Werth is signed, the commitment is made to spend more. Werth is a complimentary player, not a seat-filling, run-producing, game-changer. The Nationals needed Fielder, but, as a Phillies fan, I sure am glad he won't be in the NL East.

great signing for the Tigers. Glad he is out of the NL Central.

Ilitch is such a great and generous owner. The old guy really wants a World Series ring.

He's had some bad signings, such as Juan Gone, but he is always trying to make it happen, and is willing to loosen the purse-strings to do so.

I'm glad the Rangers didn't commit that much to Fielder.

Yeah...me too.

I'm not sure this is a really good deal for the Cats...Cabrerra really can't play anywhere else in the field anymore (somebody was talking about him playing third...really?) and Fielder is solely a 1bman.

When V-Mart gets back, they are going to have nothing but problems unless they end up trading one of their three fat, bad legged 1b/dhers.

But for this year...if they can keep Cabrerra happy (and off the sauce) with playing DH full time, the Tigers' lineup will be insane.

Yeah...me too.

I'm not sure this is a really good deal for the Cats...Cabrerra really can't play anywhere else in the field anymore (somebody was talking about him playing third...really?) and Fielder is solely a 1bman.

When V-Mart gets back, they are going to have nothing but problems unless they end up trading one of their three fat, bad legged 1b/dhers.

But for this year...if they can keep Cabrerra happy (and off the sauce) with playing DH full time, the Tigers' lineup will be insane.

Cabrera is raring to go at 3rd. He says it's his natural position. Whether he'll be any good at it is another question, but it's the trade off of his bat + shitty defense, vs Inge's good defense + mendoza line batting avg.

As for the other problem when VMart comes back, I'm sure it's a problem that other GMs would like to have.

Tigers 2012 baseball is going to be "Shit, Cabrera just let in 2 runs. Sweet, Cabrera just drove in 3 runs!"

Ilitch wants a ring. I like that he's taking the risk to try to make it happen.

Cabrera is raring to go at 3rd. He says it's his natural position. Whether he'll be any good at it is another question, but it's the trade off of his bat + shitty defense, vs Inge's good defense + mendoza line batting avg.

As for the other problem when VMart comes back, I'm sure it's a problem that other GMs would like to have.

Tigers 2012 baseball is going to be "Shit, Cabrera just let in 2 runs. Sweet, Cabrera just drove in 3 runs!"

Ilitch wants a ring. I like that he's taking the risk to try to make it happen.

Leyland tried Cabrerra at third a couple of years ago.He didn't have the range to go to his right.

Maybe we'll see if poor defensive play can be overcome by excellent offensive play.