• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and Gentlemen - your 1-7 Red Sox ...

I must say that I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the Yankees and Red Sox and it is only April 11. I guess every time they play this year they will be broadcast nationally on ESPN, Fox or the MLB network.

Oh...and by the way, The Texas Rangers? The Rangers who knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs last year and swept the Red Sox to start this one?

9-1.

(By the way...just saw the youtube video of Sammy Hagar playing the national anthem at The Giants' opening day. OMG. That aside, I haven't been a fan of National League Ball since 1980. But the NL West looks to be interesing again this year. And it looks like a certain relief pitcher might should have worked on his conditioning in the off season and done a couple of less cheesy commercials.)

First, Crow Daddy you are not alone in your assessment. The NESN (red sox channel) commentators on Friday's opening day game were saying that it's pretty obvious that these "big" games act as an announcement that baseball is indeed back and we need viewers stat. What we lose as fans are games around Memorial Day or before the All Star break that might mean more at the time. I think this is three years in a row that the Red Sox and Yankees have met in the 1st week of play.

It doesn't bother me too much. I guess I've come to expect it. I mean, two out of the 1st 3 series for the Sox felt like the playoffs. That opening Texas series sure felt like it.

And as a fan I was happy that the MLB Network gave a free preview of their Extra Innings package, so that folks could view any game live. I watched a lot of baseball last week and I loved seeing ballparks and teams that I rarely get to see being in New England.

I respect the Rangers and love the team, but it's way too early for teams to get cocky or push the panic button. The Indians and Orioles are on top of their respective divisions and I highly doubt that it stays that way.

I put it this way after the Red Sox got swept by the Rangers on various Sox fans' Facebook statuses looking for the red panic button : Baseball is a game of statistics and playing 3 games against the reigning AL Champs is not a good sample size to gauge the rest of the season (159 games). Plus, ball games are won on the field and not on paper no matter how great a team looks. ~ The Most Sane Red Sox Fan (for what it's worth folks shouldn't have been bragging if the Sox swept the Rangers. It's a long season.

First, Crow Daddy you are not alone in your assessment. The NESN (red sox channel) commentators on Friday's opening day game were saying that it's pretty obvious that these "big" games act as an announcement that baseball is indeed back and we need viewers stat. What we lose as fans are games around Memorial Day or before the All Star break that might mean more at the time. I think this is three years in a row that the Red Sox and Yankees have met in the 1st week of play.

It doesn't bother me too much. I guess I've come to expect it. I mean, two out of the 1st 3 series for the Sox felt like the playoffs. That opening Texas series sure felt like it.

And as a fan I was happy that the MLB Network gave a free preview of their Extra Innings package, so that folks could view any game live. I watched a lot of baseball last week and I loved seeing ballparks and teams that I rarely get to see being in New England.

I respect the Rangers and love the team, but it's way too early for teams to get cocky or push the panic button. The Indians and Orioles are on top of their respective divisions and I highly doubt that it stays that way.

I put it this way after the Red Sox got swept by the Rangers on various Sox fans' Facebook statuses looking for the red panic button : Baseball is a game of statistics and playing 3 games against the reigning AL Champs is not a good sample size to gauge the rest of the season (159 games). Plus, ball games are won on the field and not on paper no matter how great a team looks. ~ The Most Sane Red Sox Fan (for what it's worth folks shouldn't have been bragging if the Sox swept the Rangers. It's a long season.

Well, one good thing about ESPN having their lips firmly afixed to the RED SOX ass. After about half an hour I was able to stop watching tonight's game and get on with my life.

so what did you do w/ yr precious moments?

we need a blog post.

Dreamed of Dice-K spending the Red Sox's money.

And don't mistake or misinterpret my comments.

I have nothing against the Red Sox or the Yankees other than they suck all the oxygen out of anybody who is not a fan.

You know...there is good baseball played in other places than the Bronx (notice I didn't say New York) and Boston.

Eh. It is what it is. The Red Sox and Yankees are the most popular teams in baseball and have one of the best rivalries in sports. And they have been good to great for years. Of course they get more exposure. I haven't watched ESPN in years, so maybe that's why none of this bothers me. There are so many other outlets now to get great baseball news and analysis. There are a couple of great Rangers blogs and good local beat writers (T.R. Sullivan and Jeff Wilson -- just don't read Evan Grant, who is as clueless and worthless as they come), so there's plenty of places to get your fix. And I'm sure it's the same way for every other team.

There's aggressive...then there's stupid...then there's batshit fucking stupid. The first inning. Nobody out. The MVP of the league (who has a history of throwing his body around) on third. A pop fly...not a fly ball to center field. A fucking pop fly. Who cares if the pitcher isn't covering home?

The Ranger offense really hasn't broken loose yet. The pitching has been unfathomably good.

April and I'm already in mid season form with angst.

There's aggressive...then there's stupid...then there's batshit fucking stupid. The first inning. Nobody out. The MVP of the league (who has a history of throwing his body around) on third. A pop fly...not a fly ball to center field. A fucking pop fly. Who cares if the pitcher isn't covering home?

The Ranger offense really hasn't broken loose yet. The pitching has been unfathomably good.

April and I'm already in mid season form with angst.

I didn't have a problem with it.

• 2 weeks later...

A caller on one of the AM stations said that the area around Progressive Field is insane and that people are still trying to get in cuz the lines are so long. I'm glad we stayed home, I love hearing Tom Hamilton call the game while we sit on the patio and have a few beers.

We went to Ohio for vacation two weeks ago (doesn't everyone go to Ohio for vacation?), and we had one day in Cleveland. Unfortunately, the game was delayed a few hours, so we had to pass on it. It was a wet day, so the crowd around Progressive Field was sparse. It is great to hear that folks are supporting the team.

My kids have yet to see a major league game - we live in northern New England, and we'd have to get a second mortgage to see the Sox. Half the family are Sox fans, and half are Indians fans. Bummed that we didn't get to see the Indians a few weeks back. In the meantime, I have to console myself with deck-sitting and listening to Joe Castiglione call the Red Sox games.

We considered driving downtown today, since the weather was nice and just walk up for tix. A caller on one of the AM stations said that the area around Progressive Field is insane and that people are still trying to get in cuz the lines are so long. I'm glad we stayed home, I love hearing Tom Hamilton call the game while we sit on the patio and have a few beers.

I'm not an Indians fan, but sometimes I listen to their games on XM just for the Tom Hamilton. Same thing for the Giants and Jon Miller.

:thumbupgo tribe go!

went to phils mets game yesterday. halladay is just a master.. at one point his pitch count was:

6 balls

46 strikes

thats just plain weird.

thats just plain awesome.

sold out bank.

phils close out win with blues brothers concert/movieintro theme ("I can't turn you loose")

followed by the hi def scoreboard "high hopes" by harry kalas.

brings a tear to my every time-

later tony lukes for italian roast pork w provolone and broc rabe flyers game

flyers lost

so it wasn't quite a perfect day..... :thumbup

One of my goals this summer is to get back to Philly and finally go to a game at Citizens. Last time I went back there was Feb. '08 for the snow and Wilco. While Philly is always fun, it's always a little better when you can work in a Phils game.