• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone watch that and really think it wasn't fake?

:blush The Evan Longoria one had me for a minute. But I did start to doubt after a few more viewings.

Wow, the Red Sox/Cubs game has become a real plunkfest.

The shot Marlon Byrd took yesterday was absolutely scary. It didn't appear intentional, but it may have led to some hard feelings that spilled over into today. Of course, Kerry Woods can be pretty wild.

Buster Posey got absolutely creamed last night.

Early Twitter reports are that he has ligament damage and a broken ankle. Done for the the season. His agent wants a rule change on home plate collisions, but what Posey (and a lot of other catchers) needs is to learn proper plate blocking technique.

I kind of disagree. Posey was in front of the plate, for the most part, and swept behind himself with the (un) tag (as he didn't have the ball). Looks more like Cousins went out of his way to knock into posey. Unfortunate for Posey, for sure, but i don't think he mis-played the situation....

I kind of disagree. Posey was in front of the plate, for the most part, and swept behind himself with the (un) tag (as he didn't have the ball). Looks more like Cousins went out of his way to knock into posey. Unfortunate for Posey, for sure, but i don't think he mis-played the situation....

Posey is on his knees, giving himself no back-leg support. Awaiting the throw from right field he should have his left foot on the edge of the plate, and then drop down on the runner when the ball arrives. Without control of the ball or himself, Posey left no part of the plate available to the runner, who had no choice but to plow on through. It's very similar to how Cleveland's rookie catcher had his leg snapped last year. You don't block the plate without ball control, and when you do, you need leverage. Posey didn't have any because he he tried to block from his knees while juggling the ball.

Posey has one knee down and one up (the ball was thrown lshort/on a hop)and is positioned in front of home plate with pretty much the entire plate behind him open for Cousins to slide to the back of the plate, even the center of the plate. At least from the clips I've watched, it looks like Cousins went out of his way to barrel into Posey. I'm no catcher but Posey's fielding of the ball didn't look bad to me....

The throw was a little off mark. Cousins was well within the baseline, might of went towards the front of the plate, where Posey was, a bit, but still a clean hard slide. It's unfortunate that Posey was injured.

The throw was a little off mark. Cousins was well within the baseline, might of went towards the front of the plate, where Posey was, a bit, but still a clean hard slide. It's unfortunate that Posey was injured.

Not to beat this thing to death, but even if Cousins is in the base path doesn't mean it's not a cheap shot. Cousins goes from the back side of the line to the front side of the line, on purpose (seemingly), to run into Posey. I don't see that as a clean slide, or a slide at all for that matter. The entire plate was pretty much available to Cousins for a slide.....

Not to beat this thing to death, but even if Cousins is in the base path doesn't mean it's not a cheap shot. Cousins goes from the back side of the line to the front side of the line, on purpose (seemingly), to run into Posey. I don't see that as a clean slide, or a slide at all for that matter. The entire plate was pretty much available to Cousins for a slide.....

I agree with everything you wrote, except I wouldn't call it a cheap shot. Cousin's didn't know that Posey wasn't going to catch it cleanly, so he had to go in hard and try to knock the ball out.

It wasn't Pete Rose taking out Ray Fosse;

it was a hard play at the plate and Posey was not prepared to take the shot.

No one said it was, or compared it to, Pete Rose cheap-shotting Fosse. I see it as an unneccesary hit, therefore a cheap shot. Looks to me like he went out of his way to steamroll Posey.

agreed! it's baseball, not tiddlywinks. cousins was well within the rules of engagement.a bigger name player would be called a "gamer" for doing the same thing.

hey thats probably the first and last time i'll type that word....

Guest Jules

No one said it was, or compared it to, Pete Rose cheap-shotting Fosse. I see it as an unneccesary hit, therefore a cheap shot. Looks to me like he went out of his way to steamroll Posey.

It's been done since baseball began. You don't change the rules just because someone gets hurt. If this was the backup catcher, would anyone be asking for these changes? No.

It's been done since baseball began. You don't change the rules just because someone gets hurt. If this was the backup catcher, would anyone be asking for these changes? No.

And if it was a big name player who nailed Posey, I don't think there would me much of an outcry.

I'm sorry that Posey got hurt, but his mechanics around the plate were poor on that particular play.

bad news for gary carter- apparently the tumors are malignant. god bless him and his family.

What tumors?