Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Not too sure on this. These guys haven't made a good album since Kid A.

the groove for me and radiohead was ok-->kid a-->amnesiac. nothing they put out after that reached me like those three did, and i did not particularly take to rainbows. i admire these guys, don't get me wrong, and i'll be checking this out.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon my first listen the first half is pretty tough to get through, it sounds a lot like The Eraser. But for me the second half, from Lotus Flower on, those are four killer killer songs.

This one sounds like a grower for sure though.

Not one "rocker" though, I'm a little surprised by that.

you really think so?

i think it sounds like a mix of The Eraser and the Amnesiac-era b-sides ("Cuttooth," etc.) i also think it is sort of revolutionary and will take time to sink in. i sort of disliked it on first listen, but the second listen really opened up for me. it's an about-face. it doesn't have any traditional chord changes, few catchy melodies and little guitar. kinda like Kid A when everyone said that one was bad.

-justin

you really think so?

i think it sounds like a mix of The Eraser and the Amnesiac-era b-sides ("Cuttooth," etc.) i also think it is sort of revolutionary and will take time to sink in. i sort of disliked it on first listen, but the second listen really opened up for me. it's an about-face. it doesn't have any traditional chord changes, few catchy melodies and little guitar. kinda like Kid A when everyone said that one was bad.

-justin

UGH. how the hell is this revolutionary??!? unsure.gif

sorry, i just hate when people throw that tag around with Radiohead.

So far I'm not blown away by it by any means, the first four songs are really hard to get through, there's no hooks, and Kid A for all its misunderstanding when it came out had hooks. Making an album that is tough to listen to is not revolutionary.

Codex is really really beautiful, but Feral fucking sucks.

So far I'm not blown away by it by any means, the first four songs are really hard to get through, there's no hooks, and Kid A for all its misunderstanding when it came out had hooks. Making an album that is tough to listen to is not revolutionary.

Codex is really really beautiful, but Feral fucking sucks.

i agree with all of this cheers.gif

I'm not totally digging the mostly techno-sounding direction and the album seems to just plod along without many sparks. It's very restrained-sounding overall, musically and vocally.

But it also sounds like a record that could reward multiple listens and it has a very cohesive feel. Too early to say if I like it, and if so, how much. Right now it's just kinda "nice". And that's not the adjective I'd hope I'd use to describe a Radiohead album.

It will take days, maybe more, to let all the little bits of this one sink in. First impressions are fine, but let's give this record more than a few hours from its release to determine whether certain songs suck or not. :stunned

It will take days, maybe more, to let all the little bits of this one sink in. First impressions are fine, but let's give this record more than a few hours from its release to determine whether certain songs suck or not. :stunned

besides Montana/Orikie, i don't think many are saying it sucks, just that it's a "pleasant" but fairly unexciting listen so far :)

Has any band in history ever made a bad radiohead album before today*?

Then it's revolutionary.

:unsure

*No, Coldplay doesn't count, smartass.

worshippy.gif

it doesn't have any traditional chord changes, few catchy melodies and little guitar. kinda like Kid A when everyone said that one was bad.

-justin

Except Kid A kicks you in the butt with National Anthem, Optimistic and even the glorious yelp of Yorke on How to Disappear Completely.

"King of Limbs" is SO reserved. Because of their history, I keep waiting for the few jolts typical of Radiohead. They never come. I'm not ready to say tha that's a bad thing. I just feel a bit under-whelmed. I do think, however, the album will improve with more listens.

Another minor gripe is that it's hard to hear much of the lyrics. Or rather, not many lyrcis jump out like I'm used to with Radiohead. Again, time will hopefully improve that.

besides Montana/Orikie, i don't think many are saying it sucks, just that it's a "pleasant" but fairly unexciting listen so far :)

Gotcha. I've just been reading some comments on various music news sites, not just referring to VC, to clarify :thumbup . I can see why people have been getting a nice-not-great vibe from it on the first couple spins. Time will tell!

Except Kid A kicks you in the butt with National Anthem, Optimistic and even the glorious yelp of Yorke on How to Disappear Completely.

yep. even though i didn't LOVE Kid A from the start (and only midly love it now compared to most RH fans), it at least had a lot of exciting tracks that got your blood flowing. so far the best songs on this are the folkier/mellower numbers (Codex/Ghost)

sidebar. How amazing would a York solo album of songs like 'Give Up The Ghost Be'

Sounds like they made a bunch of songs and then hit the "R3MIX!!!" button.

It will of course take a while. Ghost is great, Separator grew on me. So did Codex.

On first listen I was put off by how Yorke-y it was. And it's a little to blippy/electronica/trip-hoppy for me to fall in love with it yet.

I'm sure it will be a grower. If not I'll just listen to Kid A, Ok Computer, The Bends, and In Rainbows all day and be happy.

The most thrilling thing about the King of Limbs release is that EVERYBODY is hearing for the first time. Journalists don't have time to listen for a month before giving a review. Bloggers everywhere can chime in with their immediate reactions as easy as paid critics.

It's fun searching around for people's reactions. Some guy named Adrian McKinty gives a track-by-track account, including a comical take on track 1:

1. Bloom: tinkly piano sounds good...oh no bleeps and snare repeating Kid A fashion. Bleeps going on and on. Thom Yorke begins to sing: "open your mouth wide" he seems to say. Doctor heal thyself, Yorkie, I can't really understand what you're saying. Something about an ocean. Violins kicking in - they sound a bit Eygptian. Organ now. A bit Day in the Life here as everything builds to a crescendo...Back to the bleeping again...this is getting tiresome. Yorke likes to hear himself howl (like a girl I used to know but that's another story). Merciful heaven track 1 is over. Nope. More ticking noises now. Finally.