Radiohead - The King of Limbs

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a kick out of chuck klosterman's tweet from this morning: "I'm sure Radiohead is depressed about these reviews, since they obviously make albums for people to listen to once at 9:20 am on a laptop."

still, it feels a bit underwhelming... like these are b-sides or something. in all fairness, i've only listened once. will give it another shot later.

We're just the weathermen. They make the wind blow.

it's okay.

i don't think i'll ever gush over anything radiohead does. their music makes me feel claustrophobic and it always sounds so ...depressingly futuristic, i guess. like, if all those horrible visions of the future in 1980s sci-fi movies came true, the music would sound like this. and that's depressing as fuck.

their music makes me feel claustrophobic and it always sounds so ...depressingly futuristic, i guess. like, if all those horrible visions of the future in 1980s sci-fi movies came true, the music would sound like this. and that's depressing as fuck.

worshippy.gif

it's okay.

i don't think i'll ever gush over anything radiohead does. their music makes me feel claustrophobic and it always sounds so ...depressingly futuristic, i guess. like, if all those horrible visions of the future in 1980s sci-fi movies came true, the music would sound like this. and that's depressing as fuck.

Nicely put - I often feel this way about Radiohead. That said, I love "In Rainbows". After one listen to "King Of Limbs" I am really struck by the percussion on it - especially the first half. It's definitely a cohesive album for better or worse. Wonder if the sneaky buggers have another album they are going to release this year as well. With over 3 years since "In Rainbows" I'd guess they left a lot of stuff off to make this so cohesive.

Has any band in history ever made a bad radiohead album before today*?

Then it's revolutionary.

:unsure

*No, Coldplay doesn't count, smartass.

Muse.

EDIT:

4 tracks in, and it sounds pretty percussive with the stringed instruments made as makeshift electronic instruments. There's much more focus to instrumental white space than any other Radiohead album. Have you guys [Radiohead] been listening to Spoon, xx, and James Blake?

eh, if any band is ripe for going in with no expectations from album to album at this point, it's RH. you never know what you'e gonna get, therefore i don't even bother getting my hopes up, i'd rather just be pleasantly surprised like I was with In Rainbows.

as for Amnesiac, it's my 2nd to least favorite RH album now after this one, but at least that one has 2-3 truly amazing songs that would be in my top 25 RH songs.

again, I hardly dislike this record, but there's not a ton for me to get my blood flowing either. like i said, the last 3 songs are really lovely and it'd have made a great 4-5 song EP.

I think Little By Little is great. First two songs were really good. Liking it a lot so far.

listen to the riff on LBL then I Might Be Wrong & Knives Out, that song creeped me out at first because it sounded so much like other RH songs that I couldn't place it until I went back and checked

listen to the riff on LBL then I Might Be Wrong & Knives Out, that song creeped me out at first because it sounded so much like other RH songs that I couldn't place it until I went back and checked

Yeah, I definitely hear some similarities.

King of Limbs is great. I find it more challenging and dry than In Rainbows. I feel like there are a lot of new things happening for the band. Not what I would call a retread. If you listen to Videotape at the end of In Rainbows, at the very end there is this odd-timed, kind of invasive hi-hat loop. At first it's almost obnoxious and then it becomes mesmerizing. I feel like that was the first premise for King of Limbs. The first few tracks have these fast, weird loops that pierce through these elliptical jazz guitars and Thom's slow moving melodies. It's kind of tense, hectic and serene at the same time.

Sonically it is the driest sounding Radiohead record (and I thought they were going for dry on In Rainbows) it sounds like it was recorded in a vacuum. Even when there's gooey delay going over guitars, or strings it sounds like an echo box in a small padded room with thick carpet. Everything sits right up on the front of the speaker.