Radiohead - The King of Limbs

eh. my faith in Wilco after the last 2 albums is about as much as my faith in Christianity (ie: none) yay.gif

Interesting comment from the administrator of a Wilco fan board.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's okay.

i don't think i'll ever gush over anything radiohead does. their music makes me feel claustrophobic and it always sounds so ...depressingly futuristic, i guess. like, if all those horrible visions of the future in 1980s sci-fi movies came true, the music would sound like this. and that's depressing as fuck.

honestly, i think that's a great description, but the thing is, that is exactly why i adore Radiohead and always have.

-justin

I listened to the album by way of Youtube. I am not buying it. I know Thom may need money for dance school, but he ain't getting my money. I still think the first 6 songs of OK Computer are what I like best about Radiohead.

My listening experience so far has been thus:

New album songs sound like they could work on any of the last three albums - I enjoy the last three albums quite a bit - I like this new album

It's not covering much new ground for Radiohead, but that's fine with me as I'm quite fond of the ground that they've already covered. Except for OK Computer and Kid A, I don't listen to the albums in sequence much anyway, these 8 tracks will fit quite nicely into my usual Radiohead shuffle. I'm also quite interested to see how they will treat these new tunes in a live setting. I remember being blown away seeing how some of the tunes from Hail To The Thief were transformed live, particularly The Gloaming, and liking the album that much more afterwords.

If you don't like Radiohead, or at least the direction they've taken since Amnesiac, what is the compulsion to trash the newer material? Clearly Radiohead's music is something that a lot of people like. If it's not your taste, that's fine, but sometimes it seems like people are determined to make anybody that likes something that they don't seem inferior in some way. Like you're an idiot if you like the new Radiohead, and a moron if you think it's in any way equivalent to their far superior earlier work (or even any good at all), and if you do like it, you're just forcing yourself or pretending because your a shameless Radiohead fanboy (or girl). Please note, this is not necessarily directed at anybody in particular, but just a comment on a general sentiment I've noticed on the net since yesterday AM, which reflects my current thoughts on this lovely Saturday morning with some lovely new music.

I've been able to listen to the album several times since nabbing it at 5am yesterday--a 4 hour drive will certainly aide in that effort. Every successive listen makes me fall in love with this album. Is it in the top 5 Radiohead albums for me? No, but considering those 5 are more or less classics, it would take something spectacular.

I was totally put off by the first listen. No tracks jumped out at me except for Separator. But then Codex revealed its slow beauty, and Giving Up the Ghost--a personal favorite since the Atoms for Peace tour--is achingly beautiful. It still sounds more like a Thom solo album or a collection of "also rans" a la the second disc of In Rainbows, but it is a solid set of songs from one of the world's best band.

There was a BBC review that said TKOL is "an intake of breath before the band's next big creative exhale". That sums it up best for me.

I also have my conspiracy theories about the lyrics and title of Separator: "if you think this is over then you're wrong" could be a wink from the band that more music is on the horizon when the Newspaper version of the album comes out. Kind of a "reverse In Rainbows" (GREAT bedroom position, btw) where the second disc comes first but there is a different album waiting in the wings. Or, with a title called Separator, there could be a second half of the album that the band releases sometime soon. I can even see the Dead Air Space post now: oops. silly me. forgot to post the rest of the album. here you go.

Even if this is the last new music from my favorite band for several years, I'm quite happy with it. I can't wait to see what else becomes revealed upon successive listens.

I just finished listening through for the first time and out of the 10 or so albums I've heard this year, I'm placing it around 10th. I could see myself never listening to it again.

I loved In Rainbows. It was the first album by Radiohead I actually "got" since The Bends. But this album is yawn-inducing.

I've never given Radiohead much of a chance before, listened to a little of In Rainbows when that came out, but recently purchased TKOL and I like it a lot. I've been listening to a ton of experimental, ambient stuff anyway so this album fits right in to my current tastes.

I just finished listening through for the first time and out of the 10 or so albums I've heard this year, I'm placing it around 10th. I could see myself never listening to it again.

I loved In Rainbows. It was the first album by Radiohead I actually "got" since The Bends. But this album is yawn-inducing.

glad to hear i'm not alone on that, it's not even in my fave 10 albums of the year at this point either

Greg Kot has posted his review:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2011/02/album-review-radiohead-king-of-limbs.html

2.5 outta 4 stars

glad to hear i'm not alone on that, it's not even in my fave 10 albums of the year at this point either

Greg Kot has posted his review:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2011/02/album-review-radiohead-king-of-limbs.html

2.5 outta 4 stars

That's a pretty spot on review. The references to Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis circa "Bitches Brew" are very apt. Likewise the connection to Thom Yorke's "Eraser". With a few more listens, I am really enjoying it.

(I get really tired of the rating many people feel that they have to give it in comparison to the other albums that the band have released. I know this is somewhat natural but isn't better to just enjoy or not enjoy an album on its own merits without constantly trying to rank it like there was an official league of an artist's releases.)

2 quick final points: I really think we might see another release this year. This album feel so much like it could have been a solo release for Thom Yorke and is so compact that something tells me that there were a lot more songs recorded.

Also, if you are a fan of music with strong percussive elements anyone else here a fan of German band CAN? Forget your John Bonham's - their drummer Jaki Liebezeit is a one man drum-machine. "Tago Mago" and "Future Days" are my favourites.

i think it sounds like a mix of The Eraser and the Amnesiac-era b-sides ("Cuttooth," etc.)

-justin

I feel this way, too. I have only listened via YouTube or the stream I list below, so I may not be hearing the full frequency range, but it seems warmer than The Eraser - it seemed to have a boxed in sound, limited frequency range - like the difference in how Kid A seems to be mastered to Amnesiac. I hadn't listened to IR in a while and I was thinking I was a little let down by that because Radiohead are THAT band that 'opened doors' musically speaking for me with OKC, but I really enjoyed revisiting it all except for those kids on 15 Step. That just kinda takes me out of the track.

So thinking I was somewhat let down by IR and the last time I saw them on the IR tour (they didn't perform badly, I was just hoping for a more varied setlist from the 2 previous shows I went to) I was prepared to be underwhelmed by TKOL and to be finally able to think that the band had just kinda passed on by where I am now.

...but not so. I really enjoy TKOL. It's frustrating that I don't have a real copy as I know I will buy a hard copy - probably the CD in a month or maybe even the Newspaper after I see some actual pictures of the thing. I usually only buy deluxe editions when it includes actual exclusive music though.

No one has talked about the bass - I think this is the most I've thought of Colin since I don't know when. It seems almost like the Thom/Colin show. It will be interesting if they ever say what Ed or Jonny did on this. Live versions should be interesting.

Full legal stream:

http://kroq.radio.com/2011/02/18/first-listen-review-listen-to-radioheads-king-of-limbs-in-its-entirety-read-critical-feedback/

For me, it's getting better with each listen, the songs are really revealing themselves more with time. I agree with what was said earlier, it's certainly not going to be my favourite Radiohead release ever but it's solid nonetheless and I appreciate it for what it is.

I totally agree with bigideas about Colin's basslines, easily the most impressive part about the record, so so good.

And I am under much the same sentiment that a lot of other people are, that they'll be releasing another record soon enough, 4 years and 8 songs is far too little. Plus Separator basically confirms this thought, sort of...

A lot of Radiohead fans are in shock about this album, and this wishing for more material and seeking clues in the song titles and lyrics for another album is basically sying "this can't be it".

Harry: I think you should take a rest too. A permanent one.

Johnny O'Connor: What do you mean?

Harry: I'm letting you go.

Johnny O'Connor: You mean?

Harry: Yes your contract isn't being renewed. You're finished, Johnny!

Johnny O'Connor: Don't mince words!

Harry: I think you stink!

Johnny O'Connor: Listen Harry if you're unhappy with my work say so now!

Harry: You're threw, you'll never work in this town again! I think you're the worst actor I've ever seen and I get 500 letters a day telling me the same!

Johnny O'Connor: What's the word on the street?

Funny I keep hearing people say this sounds like their other records or they didn't do anything new here. Each time I read those kind of statements I'm left wondering what record they were listening to.

This is the most upbeat danceable thing they've ever put out. The bass and drum tracks are unlike any of their records, the afrobeat influence is used to incredible effect.

Personally I've been loving the record, I have no problem saying: they've done it again.

No sir, I don't like it. It seems to be somewhat devoid of melody and completely devoid of guitars, 2 things I think In Rainbows (which I loved) had in spades. Whatever trip-hop-afrobeat-hypno-dance thing they are going for just doesn't appeal to my ear. But kudos to their willingness to keep changing and following their muse and I look forward to the next one.

Funny I keep hearing people say this sounds like their other records or they didn't do anything new here. Each time I read those kind of statements I'm left wondering what record they were listening to.

This is the most upbeat danceable thing they've ever put out. The bass and drum tracks are unlike any of their records, the afrobeat influence is used to incredible effect.

Personally I've been loving the record, I have no problem saying: they've done it again.

You and I are on the same page on this one. Colin sounds great on this record, and Johnny's arrangements are all over it. Some of the songs meander a tad (a weird thing to say on a 38 minute album) but for the most part I find it really enjoyable. I know what a band in an artistic decline sounds like and to me King of Limbs is far from it.

--Mike

I'm loving this cd.

It was definitely a pleasant surprise. It was not what I was expecting, but I really am digging it. The first 4 songs took a while to get familiar with, but the last half is solid.

I totally get that many people are left wanting, it's definitely not for everyone.

There is so much to enjoy though. The brass on Codex? Awesome.

I'll leave it to pitchfork to let everyone know whether it is album of the year or that Radiohead has jumped the toy musical shark.

But I love it.

My reaction to my first listen this morning is that it's completely forgettable. I have no desire to give it a second try anytime soon, either. What I thought was the highlight of the album was actually the start of Airbag, since OK Computer is the next album in my iTunes library. It just came off as robotic and soulless, which aren't words I've ever used to describe Radiohead before.