Radiohead - The King of Limbs

So kudos to Radiohead for releasing only as much as they felt was worth releasing.

BINGO!

Can't believe how much crap this record is taking. I guess it was bound to happen eventually, nobody likes anyone being considered perfect. I honestly think the last two are among the best of their career.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but this just seems like a silly argument.

1. 40 minutes for an album used to be pretty standard. Check this out:

Rubber Soul = 35:50

Revolver = 34:59

Sgt. Peppers = 39:42

Pet Sounds = 35:58

Abbey Road is 47:23

Those all have great songs, though. KOL doesn't have one.

BINGO!

Can't believe how much crap this record is taking. I guess it was bound to happen eventually, nobody likes anyone being considered perfect. I honestly think the last two are among the best of their career.

are you really that surprised though?

i mean just because you like it, that doesn't mean you can't look outside your own preferences... i mean you should definitely know by now that feeling like the last 2 are their best albums is very much a minority position no? not saying that makes it better/worse/wrong/right, just stating a fact.

i'm not surprised in the least this is getting "lukewarm" reviews by Radiohead's standards, as it's certainly my least favorite RH album. notice i didn't say it's bad, it's not, it's still a very good album, just not one of the best things i've heard this year by a mile (it's currently my #11 on the year)

I'm sorry but this just seems like a silly argument.

1. 40 minutes for an album used to be pretty standard. Check this out:

Rubber Soul = 35:50

Revolver = 34:59

Sgt. Peppers = 39:42

Pet Sounds = 35:58

Abbey Road is 47:23

2. 12 tracks? Some albums have two tracks, some even have one. They're still albums. Secondly, there have been tons of classics that were 8 track albums, for your consideration:

goodness, let's get literal. the album is short. it sounds like it is missing something, like half its tracks. there is a big difference in 10 minutes if you are going to put Abbey Road on that list. If the songs average 4 minutes each (which this album does), give me 12 of them, that's a good 48 minutes and comparable to Abbey Road and in my opinion a good album length.

--

ps, not making an argument. simply stating my opinion and how i like experience music, which is not on ction's terms. :)

are you really that surprised though?

i mean just because you like it, that doesn't mean you can't look outside your own preferences...

i'm not surprised in the least this is getting "lukewarm" reviews by Radiohead's standards, as it's certainly my least favorite RH album. notice i didn't say it's bad, it's not, it's still a very good album, just not one of the best things i've heard this year by a mile.

You like Pablo Honey more than this?

And no, I'm no surprised. I won't be surprised either when at the end of the year many of these critics put it on their years best list.

I respect your opinon, so I'm curious what these albums that are a mile better( :) ) ?

You like Pablo Honey more than this?

And no, I'm no surprised. I won't be surprised either when at the end of the year many of these critics put it on their years best list.

I respect your opinon, so I'm curious what these albums that are a mile better( :) ) ?

Pablo has 4-5 songs i consider complete classic Brit guitar rock songs: You, Ripcord, Prove Yourself, Anyone Can Play Guitar & Blow Out. it was a refreshing listen in '93. sure it hasn't aged well production-wise, but those songs still hold up for me.

as far as what albums i like more... gotta run to lunch, more later :).

ISO,

sorry to get so literal, wasn't trying to attack you. I just keep hearing that same complaint.

I'm not sure what seems so empty about the record though. It seems to have to definitive sides. The first being bloom through feral which is much more electronic and lots-separator which are more conventional songs.

_)_)_)

As for great tracks, my personal favorites have been: bloom, magpie, lotus, give up the ghost and separator.

Pablo has 4-5 songs i consider complete classic Brit guitar rock songs: You, Ripcord, Prove Yourself, Anyone Can Play Guitar & Blow Out. it was a refreshing listen in '93. sure it hasn't aged well production-wise, but those songs still hold up for me.

as far as what albums i like more... gotta run to lunch, more later :).

IMO Pablo Honey is a band still finding its identity. Where as this album and In Rainbows sound like mature radiohead albums, a band who knows who they are and aren't trying to prove anything.

WOuld really like to see your list though when you get back.

i can see that... but at the end of the day, it comes down to having great songs... they're either there or they aren't. no matter if it's experimental electronic music or traditional guitar rock, etc. If i wanted to listen to straight up electronic music, there are plenty of artists I would rather put on than Radiohead. Kid A & Amnesiac, while not my favorite RH albums, they at least were one of the best examples of great melodies/pop songs mixed with bits of electronic embellishments along with traditional instruments. i feel like this latest attempt is them just treading water a bit and rehashing older ideas and riffs, etc. on songs that at the end of the day, just aren't great songs for me (last 3 songs on the album aside). i already skip Bloom and Feral myself.

as far as my favorites on the year so far:

1. Kurt Vile - Smoke Rings For My Halo
  2. Akron/Family - S/T II: The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT
  3. James Blake - James Blake
  4. Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde
  5. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
  6. Sims - Bad Time Zoo
  7. Yuck - Yuck
  8. Destroyer - Kaputt
  9. Middle Brother - Middle Brother
  10. Cut Copy - Zonoscope

or you could say you don't like little by little, codex, and feral.

right but that would have implied that i don't like those tracks, which i do. well little by little i don't really care for but basically i love the record.

great. radiohead is the new "Lost".

somehow, this seems very apt. Good beginning, confusinly wonderful middle, disappointing end

somehow, this seems very apt. Good beginning, confusinly wonderful middle, disappointing end

I think you've got it mixed up. Okay beginning, inconsistent middle, wonderful end. With that said, it doesn't parallel The King Of Limbs. It doesn't even bring about new questions about who the man in black is. I certainly don't hear good vibrations being keypaded in nor the horrible hit single You All Everybody.

The Bends

In Rainbows

OK Computer

Kid A

Hail To The Thief (would be top three if it was 3/4 tracks shorter)

The King of Limbs/Amnesiac (I never really got that familiar with Amnesiac. And TKOL is too new to rank. So it's a tie for second to last)

Pablo Honey

Very close for me. I'd switch In Rainbows and OK Computer.