Radiohead - The King of Limbs

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try hard as I may, I cannot get into this one. Radiohead seems like they are on a campaign to see just how unmusical they can be and still get people to come on that journey.

Try hard as I may, I cannot get into this one. Radiohead seems like they are on a campaign to see just how unmusical they can be and still get people to come on that journey.

Unmusical? Jonny's descending guitar parts in Staircase are beautiful! I think this period in their music is more about "the groove" than anything. I'm digging it.

Unmusical? Jonny's descending guitar parts in Staircase are beautiful! I think this period in their music is more about "the groove" than anything. I'm digging it.

That's what bands do when they're no longer able to write great songs.

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!NOT A SARCASTIC STATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it refreshing to see they can actually sit in front of each other and play the music they created for this album live. I'm still not really diggin the record but was seriously doubting tehy could perform it live upon the release. P.S. I miss The Bends.

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!NOT A SARCASTIC STATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it refreshing to see they can actually sit in front of each other and play the music they created for this album live. I'm still not really diggin the record but was seriously doubting tehy could perform it live upon the release. P.S. I miss The Bends.

It makes me think about their creative process behind the album. Thom toured a lot of the songs acoustically, or with "his" band backing him up. Did they start with actual instruments and then add from there, or was this a laptop album and they said "Oh fuck, how are we going to play this"? I have a feeling TKOL songs are going to be massive live--particularly Bloom and Separator.

And The Bends will always be there. Keep listening to Just and wonder where they fell off the rails :P

I think I enjoyed "Staircase" more when it was just a solo Thom song. The vocal melody worked better with the guitar part he was playing rather than the dance groove they have going on in this version, much like how I prefer the original Ether festival version of "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" to the In Rainbows version. Sometimes when you change the arrangement of a song, you risk losing the spirit of it.

Hmm, The Daily Mail has a very similar arrangement to You and Whose Army? - Thom solo piano for half and full band the next.

Number of tracks on TKOL didn't bother me, but it's only been a few months and that's already 4 new full band songs either recorded or live.

Crazy to think that Radiohead still haven't really done any interview post-TKOL where they talked about their feelings on it.

Great songs do everything well. The last time that happened for Radiohead was "Pyramid Song".

Well darn. Can't ever say Pink Floyd's Any Colour You Like or Steve Reich's Clapping Music are great songs. I mean, it can't tell a story. What is the singer trying to say? Bah, it doesn't matter, because not everything is done well. Why, if someone else screws up the production, why bother listening to the melody that sounded great live! You hear that Pavement? You shouldn't have made money!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, of course, it's down now.

I wonder if it will air on VH1 like the In Rainbows Basement show did. I hope so, so I can record it.

I'm sure it's up online somewhere, but I'm sure it's in some weird video file/format where I would have to download some other program just to be able to burn it to a DVD - just not worth the trouble.

Well, of course, it's down now.

I wonder if it will air on VH1 like the In Rainbows Basement show did. I hope so, so I can record it.

I'm sure it's up online somewhere, but I'm sure it's in some weird video file/format where I would have to download some other program just to be able to burn it to a DVD - just not worth the trouble.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Not basic cable, but I bet it will get something circulating online.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you pick Bodysnatchers as an example of Radiohead's music being less enjoyable for their guitarists to play? Besides the fact that it's a great song, it's one of the only straight up rockers they've done in recent years. I can see a three guitar band getting a little bored with songs like Lotus Flower, but not Bodysnatchers.

(I dislike TKOL, but In Rainbows is one of their absolute best. Great album)

Why would you pick Bodysnatchers as an example of Radiohead's music being less enjoyable for their guitarists to play? Besides the fact that it's a great song, it's one of the only straight up rockers they've done in recent years. I can see a three guitar band getting a little bored with songs like Lotus Flower, but not Bodysnatchers.

(I dislike TKOL, but In Rainbows is one of their absolute best. Great album)

Fair point. Here's House of Cards. Ed still looks miles happier to be playing this, and its way mellower than Staircase

Guest McGuffin

I listened to King of Limbs once and then tried to again later but couldn't stomach it. Brutal and unpalatable. I can't even cherry pick one tune from it that's even halfway decent. It's unfathomable to me that folks like it. But, then again, rap is very popular nowadays as well. :rolleyes

In Rainbows sounded good immediately to me, but I've not gone back to it in some time. House of Cards is brilliant.

The albums between OK Computer and In Rainbows are only worthy of cherry picking select songs. I think I have 4-5 downloaded from Thief. I don't have Kid A or Amnesiac but would only download a total of maybe five songs from those albums.

OK Computer and Bends are both brilliant.

Never picked up Pablo Honey.

And Bob's yer uncle.