Radiohead - The King of Limbs

I listened to King of Limbs once and then tried to again later but couldn't stomach it. Brutal and unpalatable. I can't even cherry pick one tune from it that's even halfway decent. It's unfathomable to me that folks like it. But, then again, rap is very popular nowadays as well. :rolleyes

In Rainbows sounded good immediately to me, but I've not gone back to it in some time. House of Cards is brilliant.

The albums between OK Computer and In Rainbows are only worthy of cherry picking select songs. I think I have 4-5 downloaded from Thief. I don't have Kid A or Amnesiac but would only download a total of maybe five songs from those albums.

OK Computer and Bends are both brilliant.

Never picked up Pablo Honey.

And Bob's yer uncle.

That's certainly one perspective.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to King of Limbs once and then tried to again later but couldn't stomach it. Brutal and unpalatable. I can't even cherry pick one tune from it that's even halfway decent. It's unfathomable to me that folks like it. But, then again, rap is very popular nowadays as well. :rolleyes

In Rainbows sounded good immediately to me, but I've not gone back to it in some time. House of Cards is brilliant.

The albums between OK Computer and In Rainbows are only worthy of cherry picking select songs. I think I have 4-5 downloaded from Thief. I don't have Kid A or Amnesiac but would only download a total of maybe five songs from those albums.

OK Computer and Bends are both brilliant.

Never picked up Pablo Honey.

And Bob's yer uncle.

This band just disappeared up it's own ass after Kid A. Boring, samey songs. Happens to all bands, eventually.

This band just disappeared up it's own ass after Kid A. Boring, samey songs. Happens to all bands, eventually.

You know, you're very good at making reductionistic observations. It's like, they all boil down to a,... generalization! If you keep this up, NME will hire you in no time!

I hate the new album and love In Rainbows so I'm not sure I agree with the samey comment. Those albums seem very different to me. They continue to change and evolve. I admire any band that puts art over popularity. I have no doubt Radiohead could craft an album that would be hugely popular, that's not what interests them.

Watched the MTV2 airing. They would show one song and then cut to commercials for several minutes - they literally never showed two songs uncut together. I have the order written at home, but I'll try to remember what they showed:

Little by Little

Codex

Separator

Morning Mr Magpie

Staircase

Lotus Flower

Give Up the Ghost

no Bloom, Feral, The Daily Mail

How can anyone not like a song like Give Up the Ghost? What is so weird about it in comparison to The Bends?

Watching Feral on YouTube right now. They seem to be having quite a bit of fun on that one.

Guest McGuffin

"How can anyone not like a song like Give Up the Ghost? "

Quite easily. It's repetitive, directionless and goes nowhere. It's like a stagnant lake with scum on top of it.

No offense.

As a big "In Rainbows" fan, I naturally hated this album at first, because it kind of is the antithesis. I guess I'm simply going to have to go with the whole "I listened to it a couple dozen times before it set in" thing. Which, can be a bit demanding and excessive for an album. But I think an album that can reward patience, and potentially transform my idea of music will always be a better value than one that does a great job of adhering to my expectations and wears itself out. A lot of the album is enjoyable to me in the same way Kraftwerk, 'Ege Bamyasi'-era Can, or songs like Kidsmoke and Bull Black Nova are enjoyable. Aside from that, I thought the last three songs could easily match up with some of the more gorgeous moments on "In Rainbows".

Also, there was an interview where Ed O'Brien described making this album as liberating, so can we stop trying to qualify things based on his body language in some "From The Basement" performances?

• 2 weeks later...

One of the weirdest things with TKOL record cycle is that only Ed and Phil have made a few comments about it. I think all the Phil stuff was asked while he was promoting his solo stuff. Most people view it as an almost solo Thom record, so it would be really nice if Thom gave some context for the release, addressed the number of tracks/album length problem a lot of people have, etc..

Radiohead is booked to perform on the season opener of Saturday Night Live on September 24th (with Alec Baldwin hosting his 16th time).

I'm a bit upset, since I thought that Wilco would be doing this since they were in NYC the previous 2 nights playing Central Park and having Saturday off. Although, I do realize that Lorne Michaels likes to keep his guests on a tight leash "rehearsing" the whole week.

Thom's entire enigma/asshole persona says he's clearly not gonna give any context for any of that.

Radiohead is booked to perform on the season opener of Saturday Night Live on September 24th (with Alec Baldwin hosting his 16th time).

Match made in heaven?

Thom's entire enigma/asshole persona says he's clearly not gonna give any context for any of that.

He's talked about every music project he's released up to this point. I guess we won't hear about TKOL until the next one comes out - when IR came out they started saying how HTTT had too many songs/was too long, etc. Then again, if they don't really talk about the next one either...

I was thinking they were going to tour this year - I've seen them on the last 3 US tours and they always came through Texas during the summer. Maybe they are going to put out another release soon and then tour.

p.s. Why is my avatar not showing?

• 1 month later...

It was definitely a snoozer of an appearance. Google when they played The National Anthem on SNL 10 years ago. It's amazing how much things have changed. I like TKOL, and thought the basement sessions were stellar, but that live performance was not very exciting at all.

Also why do they insist on playing songs that are not even available commercially? It's kind of strange.

Possible a new album will follow soon, kinda like Kid A and Amnesiac?

What was the second song they played on SNL last night? The first was Lotus Flower but I didn't recognize the other one.

And fwiw, I think SNL really sucks for the most part. Most of it just isnt funny.

the past two seasons have had their moments. this season's opener was sorta unfunny.

#2 was Staircase.

Not their best performance, huh?

no! it was pretty bad, in fact.

When and what? I don't recall them ever playing a song that wasn't available yet on a national show.

I know Tweedy played Open Mind on a Canadian TV show before the release but...

I was thinking of The Thanks I Get on Late Night With Conan O'Brien live in Chicago in spring 2006.

To be honest, I don't think Wilco has always shined when they go on national TV. I remember many a night being so excited to see them on TV only to be let down...most of the time it was the song choice. I wish they would rock out with ALTWYS or something like that but they always seem to pick, what I guess they think will be the crowd pleaser. The You & I performance, to me, was cringe-worthy.

I have a good memory of Secret of the Sea though. That was a great performance.