Bands you wish that you had seen, but missed the chance

This is the *SIGH* thread.

Oh I wish, I wish I had seen

Shrimp Boat

when I had the chance.

The one time that I remember having the chance, was at a time when a friend was in from out of town, and he wanted to go to see some blues at Kingston Mines. So, I took him there, figuring that I could see SB sometime. Anytime, really, since they were local.

They broke up soon after that.

Oops.

Damn.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I passed on seeing the Kinks on their two last tours. At the time I really only knew "You Really Got Me" and "Tired of Waiting", and although I liked those songs they weren't an important band to me. I still kick myself for missing them, though.

Became a Wilco fan in '99. Could have seen them live in '00 if I would have extended a vacation by one day, but I decided not to go. Didn't get to see them live until '04, and have seen them five times since then. I've enjoyed the current Wilco live, but I think I missed out on something special.

Passed up seeing Nirvana at the cow palace in San Francisco, always regretted that. Skipped the Pink Floyd show in Colorado and really wished I had not.

One of my bigger regrets is missing all those Grateful Dead shows at Red Rocks every year. That hurts to think about.

Became a Wilco fan in '99. Could have seen them live in '00 if I would have extended a vacation by one day, but I decided not to go. Didn't get to see them live until '04, and have seen them five times since then. I've enjoyed the current Wilco live, but I think I missed out on something special.

Me too. I missed the Being There tour. Two of my bandmates at the time went. I already liked Wilco, and I easily could have tagged along, but for whatever reason I didn't go. I remember them meeting up with me and some friends at a bar after the show and saying how great the show was. It wasn't until the last post-Jay/pre-Nels tour that I finally got to see them.

:stunned

Not a band, but had the opportunity to see Allen Ginsberg twice in the few years before he died. Once at Kent State, once at Oberlin College. Passed on both. I suck.

Passed on Bob Seger a few years ago, didn't realize that he'd sell out so fast. Heard it was a kick ass show. Going for this new tour, bought tix. woo!

To name a few...

The Beatles

You had a chance to see The Beatles? wasn't their final show in the US in '65 or so?

i wish i had seen The Chameleons when they reformed in '01 or so...still not sure why i didn't go, other than our first kid was keeping us homebound quite a bit.

i had plenty of chances to see Silkworm and never did. i also blew off seeing Husker Du play @ my school in '86. saw 'em on the last tour, but it wasn't the same i'm sure.

i could have seen a lot of bands that i later came to know and appreciate, too late...Wipers and Savage Republic would fall into this bucket. Black Flag, too.

Nirvana - should have seen them on the In Utero tour and just figured I'd have another chance, big fuck up.

Fleetwood Mac (with Christine McVie) - didn't go to see The Dance tour because they were basically doing the The Dance reunion concert, note for note and all of the same between song banter and I hate that whole, glad we're in (your city here) rock 'n roll bullshit. Then Christine McVie left and it doesn't seem the same to me. Stevie's voice is shot, hers was still beautiful. Lindsey came solo a few years back but I was away, really need to see him.

Velvet Underground - Really wish that '93 reunion came to the states, the live record from that tour is fantastic.

Missed John Fogerty at a festival because I had to see the Pixies instead. This was a good reason, but still hated to miss him. Hopefully I'll get another opportunity.

Also missed Eric Clapton a few years ago and I can't remember why... Another guy I have to see sometime, hopefully soon before he retires.

Was gonna see QOTSA and Sparklehorse (separate shows, obviously) a few years back. But I was only moderately into both at the time, so I didn't go. Then they both faded from the live scene, and became two of my favorite bands around the same time. Now Queens are gearing up for a tour, so I'll catch them within the next few months. Sparklehorse, not so much.

Bo Diddley...is a small bar.

I have an excuse though: I had the flu with a 103 fever

Sadly, I never attended a single Texxas Jam between 1978 and 1981 :(

I was at the first one in 1978.

Not a bad line up for the time.

Walter Egan

April Wine

Sammy Hagar

Van Halen

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush

Eddie Money

Atlanta Rhythm Section

Head East

Journey

Heart

Ted Nugent

Aerosmith

Rage Against The Machine.

1999 or 2000.

I was hand given GA tickets for their show last minute. The problem was that I had a final that night in my evening class.

Then they broke up a year or so after.

Edit: Actually, I almost saw them a year later with the Beastie Boys, but Adam Yauch or was it Mike D broke their shoulder and that whole tour got cancelled. It was a weird tour because they were supposed to play at Gillette Stadium. Kind of big for both of them, I thought.

To name a few...

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

Jimi Hendrix

The Who

Soundgarden

Uncle Tupelo

Nirvana

Looking at your profile, it isn't possibe for you to have had the chance the see at least four of those (thinking you misunderstand Pop's intent).

Not nitpicking for to be a dick but...

Although Dallas was not on the first leg of the proposed 1980 Led Zeppelin US tour, I was prepared to travel to see them.

I had 11th row for Clapton, who cancelled due to "illness".

My oldest brother promised to take me to The New Barbarians. Let's just say that it didn't work out...

The Dead

I had a couple of serious follow-them-around-tape-trading-sit-near-Phil Deadhead friends who were always trying to talk me into going. I never could get up the nerve for a 2-hour Dark Star but now wish I had.