Bands you wish that you had seen, but missed the chance

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I never attended a single Texxas Jam between 1978 and 1981 :(

'

You didn't miss much. I say that seeing all of them in Dallas, and the '81 Houston gig from 79'-83'. And i was 16 at my first; a age where rock does no wrong. Always Hot! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_United_States_heat_wave, crowded, expensive :dontgetit (i think i paid 35 bucks for the last one)

I swore off festival shows after that '83 gig when Styx did "Kilroy Was Here" from start to finish and the place went into anarchy.

Although i did amend that self festival ban when Wilco played New Port and now Solid Sound. :cheers

You had a chance to see The Beatles? wasn't their final show in the US in '65 or so?

i wish i had seen The Chameleons when they reformed in '01 or so...still not sure why i didn't go, other than our first kid was keeping us homebound quite a bit.

i had plenty of chances to see Silkworm and never did. i also blew off seeing Husker Du play @ my school in '86. saw 'em on the last tour, but it wasn't the same i'm sure.

i could have seen a lot of bands that i later came to know and appreciate, too late...Wipers and Savage Republic would fall into this bucket. Black Flag, too.

No, I thought the thread said "bands you wish you had seen." More so than one of their U.S. shows, which were drowned out by screaming teenage girls, I would have liked to have seen one of their Cavern Club gigs.

Looking at your profile, it isn't possibe for you to have had the chance the see at least four of those (thinking you misunderstand Pop's intent).

Not nitpicking for to be a dick but...

Not to be a dick, but I didn't see the thread explicitly say "bands that were around in your lifetime." I interpreted it to be "any band that you wished you could have seen any time." What's the point of nitpicking something like this?

Not to be a dick, but I didn't see the thread explicitly say "bands that were around in your lifetime." I interpreted it to be "any band that you wished you could have seen any time." What's the point of nitpicking something like this?

i don't think it's nitpicking, and i had the same reaction...bands that you could have seen, but didn't for whatever reason. yeah i would have loved to have seen Barrett-era Floyd @ the UFO room but i was 1 year old and in a different continent...

this thread, at least to me, is more about missed chances that were fully in grasp.

Missed John Fogerty at a festival because I had to see the Pixies instead. This was a good reason, but still hated to miss him. Hopefully I'll get another opportunity.

Also missed Eric Clapton a few years ago and I can't remember why... Another guy I have to see sometime, hopefully soon before he retires.

Bo Diddley...is a small bar.

I have an excuse though: I had the flu with a 103 fever

Have seen Clapton 2x, both were great. First was on his Pilgrim tour, second was a few years ago, Robert Cray opened the second show. Saw Bo Diddley once in a 500-seat theatre. It was atrocious, but to his defense, he was hospitalized a few days after that show, during which he had complained of feeling "funny."

i don't think it's nitpicking, and i had the same reaction...bands that you could have seen, but didn't for whatever reason. yeah i would have loved to have seen Barrett-era Floyd @ the UFO room but i was 1 year old and in a different continent...

this thread, at least to me, is more about missed chances that were fully in grasp.

Well, sorry everyone, geez. The thread title is not "bands you COULD have seen." I suppose the "but missed the chance" might imply that you could have seen them, but apparently my wishful thinking doesn't meet the parameters.

no need to get all defensive about it...but really, how could you have seen the Beatles?

Speaking of Zeppelin, we're having a communication breakdown. I put The Beatles in my response, understanding the thread to mean "bands you wish that you had seen at any time," meaning had I been alive during their time, I would have liked to have seen them. But since the thread is actually about bands that you might have realistically had the chance to see, it makes the selection moot.

Why aren't we picking on Froggie? Apparently he/she was born in '77, seven years after The Beatles broke up and three years before Zeppelin did. Don't think it would've been possible for him/her either.

Whiskeytown.

Long story, but I was actually at a Whiskeytown show, but had gone with friends to see the opening band and wound up leaving before Whiskeytown came on stage.

At the time I had heard of Whiskeytown but hadn't yet listened to any of their stuff.

Speaking of Zeppelin, we're having a communication breakdown.

maybe you missed my edit, but i think it's only you (and possibly Froggie) having the communication breakdown...everyone else got the gist of the thread.

Froggie, repent now!

back on track...i wish i'd seen Sun Ra play. was gonna roadtrip to NYC for the free show the Arkestra played w/ Sonic Youth in the early 90s, but didn't. i also blew off at least one (and likely more) local shows, as i know he played Nightstage at some point. I have seen Marshall Allen play, but i think that's it of the original core members of the band.

maybe you missed my edit, but i think it's only you (and possibly Froggie) having the communication breakdown...everyone else got the gist of the thread.

Froggie, repent now!

back on track...i wish i'd seen Sun Ra play. was gonna roadtrip to NYC for the free show the Arkestra played w/ Sonic Youth in the early 90s, but didn't. i also blew off at least one (and likely more) local shows, as i know he played Nightstage at some point. I have seen Marshall Allen play, but i think that's it of the original core members of the band.

When I was in college at the University of Missouri, Sun Ra came to play at one of the halls on campus (Jesse Hall), for something like $4.

I heard cool things about him, but didn't know his music at all. So, I CHOSE not to go.

Damn.

Froggie, repent now!

I saw the edit. Thanks for pointing out that I'm alone in my misunderstanding. I guess I "missed the chance" to see those bands because I wasn't born yet, with the exception of Tupelo. I was 12 when they broke up, and wasn't much of a concert-goer then.

Anyhoo...I guess I wish I wouldn't have passed on the Autumn Defense a few years ago in KC.

led zeppelin 77 - cousin was in line to get tickets and it sold out before he got to the box office.

black sabbath 78/80 - the folks thought they were a satanic band, despite dad taking me to kiss a year earlier.

clash 83 - wichita falls. dad wouldn't let us drive from okc to wichita falls.

supertramp 83 - school night.

dire straits 85 - i could only go to 1 of the 2 concerts i had a choice of and i chose heart. at least they were better looking than mark knopfler!

nirvana 93 - "they'll come back here on another tour."

pink floyd 94 - dallas - me and another co-worker decided we were going to drive to this show the morning of, but the boss said we both couldn't go and leave the office with both of us gone.

johnny cash 96 - bartlesville, ok - had tickets, he got sick and canceled, and didn't reschedule this show.

beatles

led zeppelin

pink floyd

warren zevon

gordon lightfoot

i've seen john fogerty twice (even met him), but it doesnt compare to see the original CCR on stage

I saw Warren Zevon--twice. Both were great experiences--pretty small venues, enthusiastic crowds. I'm so glad I got to see him live when he was really on a roll.

Without giving this too much thought, I'd say right now the band I'm sorry I didn't get to see is the White Stripes. I was just watching a DVD the other day and damn, they were great! They got a lot of sound out of a guitar and drums.

Why aren't we picking on Froggie? Apparently he/she was born in '77, seven years after The Beatles broke up and three years before Zeppelin did. Don't think it would've been possible for him/her either.

um, the reason why i missed the chance to to see those bands is cause i was either too young, or not - blame my parents for that :lol

at least i've seen page/plant/jones on stage - pity not together

and it is "He". well, last time i checked it was!

Elvis Presley

I was two when my parents went to see him at the Pontiac Silverdome. Three years later, when I was already an Elvis fan and he was dead, I was ticked that they didn't take me! :realmad As if I would have remembered...

I'd echo most of the bands here. Nirvana especially. The closest I came to a Dead show was Cleveland in '92. Why I didn't go I'll never know.

Paul Simon - Graceland Tour & Talking Heads - pretty much any tour. Was just too young at the time to convince the parents to let me go....

Not that i am a big fan, but just as Oasis was starting to blow up (early-to-mid 90s), i was in line to buy tickets in DC to see them (at Radio Music Hall, before it became the "new" 9:30 club) and the people in front of me bought the last two tickets. Never saw them...

yeah i would have loved to have seen Barrett-era Floyd @ the UFO room but i was 1 year old and in a different continent...

If that Wayback machine ever gets up and running, that's where I'm going...all over Europe in '66 & '67 to see Syd and the boys. Then a bit further back for a whole bunch of classic quartet Coltrane shows!