Bands you wish that you had seen, but missed the chance

Not to be a dick, but I didn't see the thread explicitly say "bands that were around in your lifetime." I interpreted it to be "any band that you wished you could have seen any time." What's the point of nitpicking something like this?

I don't mean to pile on, but if it weren't for the nitpicking/clarification of purpose, this thread might as well be a link to Mojo Magazine's list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.

Who we failed to take the opporunity to see and now regret is far more interesting/personal/revealing than who we wish we had seen.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back on track...i wish i'd seen Sun Ra play. was gonna roadtrip to NYC for the free show the Arkestra played w/ Sonic Youth in the early 90s, but didn't. i also blew off at least one (and likely more) local shows, as i know he played Nightstage at some point. I have seen Marshall Allen play, but i think that's it of the original core members of the band.

Ah yeah, I missed at least four or five opportunities to see Sun Ra.

Yeah. The new album sounds like Thom Yorke with a computer. It seems like it would not trasnfer over well live at all.

That's just ridiculous. I'm not that fond of it yet, but it's clearly more than just a bunch of Thom Yorke solo recordings. I haven't given it a close headphones listen yet, but I can already hear lots of quality bass and drums and hints of guitar. Not that that means it's a great album, or that you have to love it, but it's more than just Thom Yorke and no one else.

I had a pair of third row tickets to see Pearl Jam in 1994. I wound up selling the tickets to a broker and spent the money on a trip to Ohio to see two Grateful Dead shows.

Can't say I regret my decision, but it would have been cool to see Pearl Jam at that time in their career. I doubt I'll ever see them now.

I don't mean to pile on, but if it weren't for the nitpicking/clarification of purpose, this thread might as well be a link to Mojo Magazine's list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.

Who we failed to take the opporunity to see and now regret is far more interesting/personal/revealing than who we wish we had seen.

10-4.

Yeah. The new album sounds like Thom Yorke with a computer. It seems like it would not trasnfer over well live at all.

That's just ridiculous. I'm not that fond of it yet, but it's clearly more than just a bunch of Thom Yorke solo recordings. I haven't given it a close headphones listen yet, but I can already hear lots of quality bass and drums and hints of guitar. Not that that means it's a great album, or that you have to love it, but it's more than just Thom Yorke and no one else.

Not to make it a Radiohead thread, but I agree with my friend (literally). I don't hear Phil Selway. What I hear are drum loops taken out of the late 90s and used in the first 4 songs that make them indistinguishable from each other. It does sound a lot like a Thom Yorke solo record. The fake sounding drum loops are what drives me batty about it. I'll have to post this in the actual Radiohead thread now.

It was a one-time event (and I know I told the story here before) but I still regret it. A few years ago Bill Janovitz (from Buffalo Tom) was doing a weekly residency at a very small club (75 people max) in Cambridge. For one of the nights Pearl Jam was in town and there was a rumor that Eddie Vedder and Theo Epstein (Red Sox GM) were going to come over to the club. I went with a friend and we waited until about 12:30 when we figured they were not going to show up. We went across the street to the parking lot and talked for a while and then went home. I got an email in the morning saying that they showed up about 15 minutes after we left, played together on four songs, and then hung around a bit.

It was a one-time event (and I know I told the story here before) but I still regret it. A few years ago Bill Janovitz (from Buffalo Tom) was doing a weekly residency at a very small club (75 people max) in Cambridge. For one of the nights Pearl Jam was in town and there was a rumor that Eddie Vedder and Theo Epstein (Red Sox GM) were going to come over to the club. I went with a friend and we waited until about 12:30 when we figured they were not going to show up. We went across the street to the parking lot and talked for a while and then went home. I got an email in the morning saying that they showed up about 15 minutes after we left, played together on four songs, and then hung around a bit.

i was gonna go to that too...Mike O'Malley was in town doing some filming for something, and we were gonna go to Toad's that night. he's good friends w/ my wife (college friends) and knows Bill J very well.

Mike's work ran over and he called to tell me he wasn't gonna make it, so i ended up bailing as well.

I failed to see Clapton on his From The Cradle blues tour in 1994. Show was sold out, but some tix were released afternoon of the show and I chose not to make the drive. I also failed to see him when Derek Trucks was in his band and they were doing Derek and the Dominos stuff. I've seen Clapton many times, but always with his lame, overly smooth bands, not his gritty real stuff. He'll probably never play like that again. I totally blew it.

Passed on seeing Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers on New Year's in San Francisco in 1991. I went to see the Grateful Dead as I always did. I'm not too into grunge or the Chilis, but if there ever was a time to see them, it was 1991 when Eddie Vedder was still climbing the rafters and to see all three of them together surely was fantastic.

When I was in junior high in 1978, I wanted to see Cheap Trick just after Live At Budokan was released. I had never heard of the other three bands on the bill: Blue Oyster Cult, Pat Travers, and UFO. My 11- year old mind would've been blown away to see all four of those bands in their prime had I convinced my Mom to get me to the show.

I had a pair of third row tickets to see Pearl Jam in 1994. I wound up selling the tickets to a broker and spent the money on a trip to Ohio to see two Grateful Dead shows.

Can't say I regret my decision, but it would have been cool to see Pearl Jam at that time in their career. I doubt I'll ever see them now.

Buckeye?

The PJ shows I saw in 2009 and 2010 were as good as 94, 96, 98 IMHO-so GO!

Anyway, I took the thread to mean shows that you could realistically have gone to but did not.

The Who 1983 tour-had a choice to see The Who in Worcester or Rush in New Haven-I chose Rush. Great show, but I ended up seeing three shows on the signals tour and regret not going to see The Who.

PJ 7/14/03-I had just finished a run of about 7 shows and decided to pass on this one just 25 miles away-BIG mistake.

Garcia on broadway-the entire 1987 run

Maybe AC/DC on the back in black tour. Wasn't excited about it. But looking back, I wish I had gone. Heck, I saw Journey, Ozzy and Styx, why not AC/DC? :stunned

I dont have a specific date in mind, but, I wish I had seen Stevie Ray Vaughn live.

Fortunately, I have otherwise gone to most of the shows that I wanted to.

• 7 months later...

I missed U2 when they played on my campus, a stone's throw from my dorm, when I was in college in the late 80s. I have plenty of excuses. None of my friends were that into music and I didn't want to go alone, the tickets were more than my starving college student budget could afford, and I had night class that night. I remember a couple of weeks before the show, the professor, who was an otherwise really cool guy, chastising a couple of students who had tickets, warning them that it would be counted as an unexcused absence. :lol

Missed Pink Floyd when they too played on campus. My then-boyfriend, now husband, asked me to go with him but we decided not to go at all for no reason. We still kick ourselves for that.

In my 30s, when I resigned myself to being "too old" to pine for live music anymore, I found Wilco. Although I've seen them live "only" 7 times, I am grateful for the opportunity to not have to shelve my love for rock music. It feels like a second childhood!

I don't know how many folks around here would know of this band but in 1988 or 1989 (to the best of my memory) I passed up an opportunity to see the Australian group The Go-Betweens.

I was 16 or 17 at the time, out for a night in the city (having probably told my folks I was at a friend's house) and heading to get home beyond curfew. It was around midnight. The band was coming on at 12:30am at The Kardomah Cafe in KIngs Cross here in Sydney. I was with a friend who was in a similar curfew-predicament to me. I looked at the front entrance, back to my watch, the front entrance, watch...my dread of being grounded won out and I started the long pilgrimage home from the city.

They broke up near the end of 1989 from memory. In the years to follow I saw Grant McClennan play solo and with Steve KIlbey from the Church (before Grant's untimely death) and I have seen Robert Forster play numerous times but I never saw them play together.

In my 30s, when I resigned myself to being "too old" to pine for live music anymore, I found Wilco. Although I've seen them live "only" 7 times, I am grateful for the opportunity to not have to shelve my love for rock music. It feels like a second childhood!

I can relate to that. I kinda fell out of concerts after college for a while. I didn't really get back into going until Springsteen in 2002(?) and then the Wilco obsession began and I haven't looked back since!