Bands/Artists you're glad you saw because they aren't around any more....

Well, he is still here, but I doubt very much that he will come back to the US. (Although I wish very strongly that he would):

TOM ZÉ

Brazilian überweirdo and supergenius came to tour the US only one time and, lucky me, I was able to get to the show here in Chicago (Park West). He brought only one musician with him from Brazil, the rest of his backing band was Tortoise. One of the best shows that I have ever seen, if not the best.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Who w/ Entwistle ('89 or '90. My first rock concert, 4th row center!)

Traffic ('90s reuinion tour)

Television (reunion album tour)

Big Star/Chilton solo

Dizzy Gillespie w/ Max Roach & M'Boom

Grateful Dead

Nirvana

Phish (when they were still playing small theaters)

NRBQ

Allman Brothers before they fired Dickie Betts

Firehose

Janes Addiction in a small theater

Bowie (Sound and Vision tour)

King Crimson double trio

Monks of Doom

Link Wray

Five Style

Pink Floyd (Division Bell tour)

June Carter Cash w/ Johnny guesting on several songs

Pixies (Trompe Le Monde tour)

Violent Femmes (these guys are done, right?)

I don't know. But, if they are done, I guess that I should add them to my list, too. I saw them in 1989 (headlining over opening acts Mojo Nixon and Skid Roeper, and The Pogues). That was a helluva show.

I don't know. But, if they are done, I guess that I should add them to my list, too. I saw them in 1989 (headlining over opening acts Mojo Nixon and Skid Roeper, and The Pogues). That was a helluva show.

For me, it was 1991. Amazing show.

Saw Led Zeppelin in July 1980 at an ice skating rink in Berlin.

It was the last gig on their European tour - and ended up being their last ever concert because a few months later John Bonham was dead.

In truth it was a very average show. Page seemed distracted and his playing was sloppy. I subsequently learned this was during the height of his smack addiction - which would explain a lot. I was in my early 20s at the time and had been a Zep fanatic as a teenager - so this was hugely disappointing for me.

Fortunately years later I got to see Page and Plant playing together in Sydney (Unledded tour '96) and they were fantastic. Page was in amazing form. Totally redeemed! :thumbup

Guided by Voices ('00 lineup, with Jim "Jimmy Mac" McPherson on drums)

Mendoza Line

Afghan Whigs

Jawbreaker

Tar

Pegboy

My Bloody Valentine

Archers of Loaf

Unrest

Home

The Wedding Present (yes, I know they're still around, but they're not the same without Simon Smith)

Tilt

Samiam

Green Day (original lineup; they might have still been called Sweet Children at the time)

7 Seconds

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet

Public Image Limited

original Son Volt lineup

Fugazi

Pegboy

"Superstar" in a live venue is nearly transcendental. Great call.

Actually, Larry and John (Haggerty) showed up at one of MY gigs, many years ago... because I was sharing that bill with one of John's roommates. It's funny, because for as huge a guy as Larry is, and as monstrous a presence as he is on stage, when I paid him a compliment on the show that I had seen... he just kinda shuffled his foot, looked at the ground and gave me an embarrassed sorta "thank you". Really nice guy, though.

Silver Jews

Police (reunion tour)

Pixies ('90, also reunion)

R.E.M. (original lineup)

Ramones (C.J. on bass)

Elvis Costello & The Attractions

Graham Parker & The Rumour (one-off London reunion show in 1988)

CSNY (featuring the late Ben Keith)

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (with Federici)

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (w/ Stan Lynch)

The Pretenders (w/ Martin Chambers)

Meat Puppets (original lineup reunion)

The Dead Milkmen

Dinosaur Jr. (original lineup reunited ... OK, so these guys are still around)

GBV ('94)

Gigolo Aunts (later lineup)

The Jayhawks ('93)

The Chamber Strings

Soul Asylum (before they were big)

Scruffy The Cat

The Vulgar Boatmen (Indianapolis branch)

The Knitters (reunion)

Spacehog (supposedly reunited now, but haven't seen any product from that)

Lemonheads (later lineup)

The Waxwings

Pete Seeger (still around, but he's 91 ... does he still play any regular shows?)

Junior Wells

Koko Taylor

Albert Collins

Bobby "Blue" Bland (still alive but not touring)

The Persuasions (all original members)

Big Star (reunited lineup)

Alex Chilton (High Priest tour)

Pink Floyd (first post-Waters tour)

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper

Killdozer

The Residents

Smashing Pumpkins (original lineup ... I don't really like these guys but I added them to the list)

Sand Rubies

Trip Shakespeare

Oh yeah, I saw Archers of Loaf on the All the Nations Airports tour. At Lounge Ax in Chicago. They put on a really good show.

Blind Melon, not long before what's his name croaked.

Oh yeah, forgot about them. I saw them open for Neil Young. Shannon Hoon came out in what appeared to be a dress. The crowd was pretty uninterested but I liked them.

Saw Led Zeppelin in July 1980 at an ice skating rink in Berlin.

It was the last gig on their European tour - and ended up being their last ever concert because a few months later John Bonham was dead.

In truth it was a very average show. Page seemed distracted and his playing was sloppy. I subsequently learned this was during the height of his smack addiction - which would explain a lot. I was in my early 20s at the time and had been a Zep fanatic as a teenager - so this was hugely disappointing for me.

Fortunately years later I got to see Page and Plant playing together in Sydney (Unledded tour '96) and they were fantastic. Page was in amazing form. Totally redeemed! :thumbup

i think that Berlin show was the only time they didnt play 'Achilles last stand' ever since it was recorded. i also saw P&P on the last 2 melbourne shows in 1996

Oh yeah, forgot about them. I saw them open for Neil Young. Shannon Hoon came out in what appeared to be a dress. The crowd was pretty uninterested but I liked them.

He wore a white dress at my concert too. And he was clearly intoxicated.

Phish (when they were still playing small theaters)

NRBQ

I used to see them in really small places in '87/88/89 and honestly, think they are much better these days. Plus, the light show....

Grew up in CT and used to see NRBQ frequently. I beleive they still play now and again, though.....

I used to see them in really small places in '87/88/89 and honestly, think they are much better these days. Plus, the light show....

Grew up in CT and used to see NRBQ frequently. I beleive they still play now and again, though.....

My first time seeing Phish was their Atlanta Roxy shows which came out as an official release a few years ago. Just amazingly fun shows. I saw them four or five more times after that, and after the Hoist tour I never bothered with them again.

I thought NRBQ broke up a few years ago. If they still play together then I'm happy. Terry Adams just came through town with his band, but I didn't get to see them.

Jawbreaker

Pegboy

My Bloody Valentine

Archers of Loaf

Public Image Limited

I'm jealous of those. For my part:

Braid

Stereolab

Hot Water Music

At the Drive-In

Fugazi

The Murder City Devils

American Steel

Quicksand

Burning Airlines

Jets to Brazil

The Promise Ring

Rival Schools

Rage Against the Machine

Kid Dynamite

My high school years and right after were full of really cool punk, post-punk, post-hardcore etc. experiences.