Bands/Artists you're glad you saw because they aren't around any more....

Graham Parker & The Rumour (one-off London reunion show in 1988)

:thumbup Damn that was a great concert - at the Town and Country Club in North London as I recall. Quite an emotional night for me - seeing Parker and band in such great form after all those years - and in front of a really appreciative crowd. Brinsley Schwarz was on fire! I remember Parker doing a terrific version of The Las 'There She Goes' at some point.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah. I saw Drivin' n Cryin' back in 1989 (opening for Living Colour). Great band.

:thumbup Damn that was a great concert - at the Town and Country Club in North London as I recall. Quite an emotional night for me - seeing Parker and band in such great form after all those years - and in front of a really appreciative crowd. Brinsley Schwarz was on fire! I remember Parker doing a terrific version of The Las 'There She Goes' at some point.

Indeed, it was at the Town and Country Club.

I was in London for a semester of foreign study, but I had virtually no extra cash, so when I found out about this show I had to reduce my grocery budget for a week or two to free up funds for a ticket. Definitely worth it.

Schwarz is one of the great, underrated guitar players.

And I agree with the assertion that the Femmes are UNDERrated, not overrated. Their first 4 albums were all packed with freaking great songs, if not all-out classics like the first album was.

I always think that it's amazing that Stone Temple Pilots actually put out a great record. Like being a Violent Femmes fan it seems like that is not a very cool thing to admit.

I have no idea if they were a good live band though.

Are you referring to STP or Violent Femmes?

I saw STP once in their heyday. I was never really a fan, but they put on a good show and I ganied some respect from them.

i was happy to see the 2nd to last show that Dio did w/ Heaven and Hell.

rock on, Ronnie

p175103449-3.jpg

I'm with ya, I got to see a show on RJD's last tour, too. I was so happy, I love Dio! Holy Diver is my fave 80's metal album. Really glad I got to see Dio a couple times on that first tour when Vivian Campbell and Vinnie Appice were in the band.

I saw SRV at the Kalamazoo County Fair 2 (or maybe it was 3) days before that horrible helicopter crash in Wisc. He was such a terrific performer and I am so glad I got to see him and Double Trouble.

I also saw the Clash on the Combat Rock tour.

Junior Wells

Luther Alison

I saw a bunch of the Chicago blues folks when I first got to Chicago and throughout the 70s and 80s. Most are now gone.

In addition to these two:

Muddy Waters

Sunnyland Slim

Hound Dog Taylor

Koko Taylor

Jimmy Rogers

Mama Yancy

Willie Dixon

JB Hutto

Blind Jim Brewer

Big Walter Horton

Bo Diddley

Robert Lockwood Jr.

Lots of folks I can no longer remember and some I didn't know. Maxwell Street used to be very fun.

Unfortunately NOT Howlin Wolf

I don't know who is still alive. Buddy Guy is, but not sure about Jimmy Johnson, Sam Lay, Otis Rush. Eddie Clearwater is still alive.

LouieB

i've seen Shellac a few times now, but missed out prior.

Saw them opening for Fugazi. Speaking of which, is Fugazi still kicking it, or should I mention them in this thread, too?

Saw them opening for Fugazi. Speaking of which, is Fugazi still kicking it, or should I mention them in this thread, too?

I'm pretty sure they've either thrown in the towel for good, or are on indefinite hiatus.

I saw them with Shudder to Think. Actualy, I saw Shudder to Think a few times, and they were always incredible.

On an UNrelated note...

I saw one song from Thinking Fellers Union once. That's a band I still kick myself for missing. I must've passed on seeing them at least five times, but at least I got to see five minutes worth of one of their shows.

I'm glad to be seeing The Pogues tonight, as it appears that this will be their last U.S. tour.

You'll be even happier after you see them; freaking amazing live band. Just a great time. Period.

oh man, TFUL282 is one of my all-time favorites.,,saw them 5 or 6 times and am considering somehow getting over to the ATP in England where they are reforming for a show.

Wow, that's amazing. They were asked to reform for the Matador Las Vegas thing last year, but they declined.

Wow, that's amazing. They were asked to reform for the Matador Las Vegas thing last year, but they declined.

much to my disappointment. if i could have hand-picked five Matador bands to have played, it would have looked like:

GBV

TFUL282

Come

Bailter Space

Barbara Manning

not to say I didn't have a great time, but it could have been greater.

much to my disappointment. if i could have hand-picked five Matador bands to have played, it would have looked like:

GBV

TFUL282

Come

Bailter Space

Barbara Manning

not to say I didn't have a great time, but it could have been greater.

For me, the main things they failed to book the Matador bill were TFUL and Helium (or a Mary Timony solo band).

fugazi's been on hiatus for almost 10 years, i think. ian mackaye formed a duo with a girl drummer/singer called the evens, and had a kid with her a few years back. i saw the evens a few years ago and was sitting 2 feet from ian and he'd stare at me while he was singing and it was so intense i was starting to really feel uncomfortable. i talked to him after the show and he said he thought he was freaking me out pretty good.

fugazi's been on hiatus for almost 10 years, i think. ian mackaye formed a duo with a girl drummer/singer called the evens, and had a kid with her a few years back. i saw the evens a few years ago and was sitting 2 feet from ian and he'd stare at me while he was singing and it was so intense i was starting to really feel uncomfortable. i talked to him after the show and he said he thought he was freaking me out pretty good.

That's fucking awesome.

:lol

That's fucking awesome.

:lol

I'll second that fucking awesome..

And I can't believe I forgot Les Paul.. Saw him at the Iridium in New York City back in 99 or 2000. The old guy could still pick the hell out of the guitar too.. Got his autograph mounted on my wall. At the time, I was in NY auditioning for a music college. He told me good luck on the audition and wrote "keep pickin" under his signature.