The oddest, most incongruous covers that you can think of

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Moved from the other covers thread ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDmkuBlEnUE

There are so many things wrong with this but the best/worst might be the Elaine Benes style dancing she does at the beginning.

Wow...I mean...just...Wow.

Still wrong thread, getting closer.

If it's odd and incongruous that we're looking for, this is right where the Miley Cyrus clip belongs.

Incongruous: lacking congruity: as a : not harmonious : incompatible b : not conforming : disagreeing c : inconsistent within itself d : lacking propriety : unsuitable

Moved from the other covers thread ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDmkuBlEnUE

There are so many things wrong with this but the best/worst might be the Elaine Benes style dancing she does at the beginning.

I am usually not one of "those" guys, but the only inspiration I hope she gets from Cobain in the future involves a shotgun.

If it's odd and incongruous that we're looking for, this is right where the Miley Cyrus clip belongs.

Incongruous: lacking congruity: as a : not harmonious : incompatible b : not conforming : disagreeing c : inconsistent within itself d : lacking propriety : unsuitable

It might fit the dictionary definition for odd and incongruous, but so does an outfit with plaid and stripes. This was beyond odd and incongruous.

i wish i could find that youtube clip of the Japanese band playing DBT's "Tornadoes"

Thought it was a Chinese band...but it was a pretty interesting cross-cultural moment. But still not as weird as Mylie Cyrus covering "Smells like Teen Spirit".

I have a hard time getting bothered at a crowd of young impressionable music fans hearing a Nirvana song, even if Miley Cyrus is singing it.

Agree. The band did an ok job with the song; it's just her vocals/stage presence that ruin it. But if hearing this cover makes a few of those kids Nirvana fans, then I'm all for it.

As a middle school teacher, let me tell you, there are plenty of Nirvana fans out there who have no idea what context the music belongs in. Pretty much anything made before 2000 is "classic rock" to them, which makes sense considering they were born around 1997. But still, to them The Beatles = Kiss = Van Halen = Nirvana. Kids going to a Miley Cyrus concert may hear that and think, "Hey, I heard that on my dad's radio station once, cool!" But the kids who stay into it will because they heard it on their dad's radio station, brother's iPod, or friend's house, not because Miley sang it.

She may very well have intended to deliver this song seriously. She seems to be going through a phase of regret at her tween stardom, but it still sucked and I don't think it will have much of a positive impact on the quantity or quality of Nirvana fans.

Well, yeah. I'm not expecting anyone at that show to rush out and buy In Utero, but it still doesn't bother me at all. Hearing someone you idolize cover a song is way different than hearing it on the radio, so it's not farfetched to say that that cover got a few people to start caring about Nirvana. Besides, if I was gonna be super sensitive about the way the Nirvana catalogue is handled I would have lost it when Kurt's journals were printed on Converse sneakers.

I'm a huge Nirvana fan, for the record. But my only beef with Miley covering a Nirvana song is that she didn't pick a better one.